Hooked on Driving events (Midwest/Great Lakes)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know it's a little late for posting Monday's event but you can check out upcoming events below. Plus, there are other HOD branches for the rest of you guys to check out.

Hooked on Driving is offering a smoking deal for July 2nd at Autobahn Country club in Joliet! Two entrants for the price of one. Find anyone whether it be a friend, family member, or even forum member to split the entry fee of $295.00. The ONLY catch is that the second entry will have to provide their own lunch. Food is great at this track, btw.

Hooked on Driving will be doing a completely unique format on July 2nd. Starting at 11:30am and going all the way to 8:30pm. Plus, they'lll be doing North track for half the day and South track for the other half. So you get to sleep in AND drive two tracks in one day for half the price!

When you sign up, just put the details of the second entry in the comments section at the bottom such as:
Driver name,
car make/model/color,
run group (a,b,or c),
Preferred car number

If you haven't run with HOD or have never been on the track, they are the Caddilac of track days. The extra couple bucks in difference between other companies is in the details and it shows with the hardware that people show up with. Novices welcome. In fact, some of corner carver members here are instructors. One on one coaching provided the entire day for A (beginner) group drivers, and by request of the rest of the groups B(intermediate), and C(advanced). Hooked on Driving provides a relaxed atmosphere where you get to have fun exploring the capabilities of your car in a safe and guided environment for drivers of all levels. Some serious hardware to check out that shows up to these things. I'll be coaching the B group drivers.

Helmet rentals available for $20.00

Other events coming up:

Gingerman Raceway
August 25 - Grab a Saturday at Gingerman Raceway
Saturday - August 25, 2012
Registration Fee: $195.00

Autobahn Country Club - Full Circuit
October 1 Autobahn Full Track - With National Corvette Museum
Monday - October 1, 2012
Registration Fee: $325.00

Contact/questions best directed to:
[email protected]
[email protected]
Phone: 779-475-0402

Just so this isn't a shameless plug I'll add some tech :whistling:

Here's a video of me driving an ex-Miller Challenge car with a Cortex suspension setup at our "Corporate training" at Laguna Seca. Mind you this was "the boss's" car and my first time on the track outside of a video game so my goal was to bring it back in one piece. The guy telling me to "take it easy" is Eric (The head honcho of the Midwest HOD franchise and a great friend for getting his boss to let me take his ride out)

Oh and disclaimer on the "heel toe comment". What I meant was I don't really heel toe in my cooper since the throttle response is dog shit with the blower and I can't hear the exhaust through my helmet cause it's so quiet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
HOD is going to be running at Gingerman Raceway, Saturday, August 25th

"GingerMan Raceway is a private road-racing course situated on a 350-acre site. The original track is 1.88 miles long with the corner extension the track is now 2.14 miles, twisting left and right and up and down on the naturally rolling landscape. It simulates a country road, but without the risks to pedestrians and oncoming traffic and eliminates other hazards such as ditches, phone poles, trees and other objects." Courtesy of www.gingermanraceway.com

Gingerman Raceway, Ltd.
61414 County Rd 388
South Haven, MI 49090

$225 Registration Fee includes:
• Coaching
• Classroom briefings
• Lunch
• Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced groups
• Nearly two full hours on-track

Special discount for s197forum members: enter "HOD25" in the promo code section for $25 bucks off.

Hope to see you there!

http://www.hookedondriving.com/event-details/August_25_-_Grab_a_Saturday_at_Gingerman_Raceway

Powered by Ford

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Carl! Just signed up! Used the discount code too! Sent you a reply to your PM.

Reaction score
*Late wrap up
It was nice meeting some of the forum members out there at Gingerman. (Gmitch, your car is ridiculous.) We had more track time than the participants could handle. Cars and/or drivers were starting to burn out by early afternoon. By the end of the day, we were basically opening the track to anyone who wanted to go out. Group C drivers got to check out doing the track backwards for a couple sessions. That was A LOT of fun. I've never had to look for an apex so far out my driver side window. The track was nice and fairly straight forward, but backwards was probably the most challenging track I've ever driven.

*Next event
Oct. 1st. Autobahn Country Club, Joliet. FULL TRACK (North and South combined, aka mini-Nurburgring)

We are working with National Corvette Museum on this event. Racing junkies will be getting a real treat. The National Corvette Museum has just confirmed the presence of a very special guest-Johnny O'Connell...three-time ALMS GT1 champion, 38 career ALMS wins, record eight Sebring 12-hour class victories, holds ALMS records for most starts (102), most podium finishes (80), most top-five finishes (93) and most top-10 finishes (100); first American driver to win 24 Hours of Le Mans four times.

This is going to be our biggest and last event for the year, so book up as soon as you can! Link here

Carl

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Great event! The HOD crew did a wonderful job.

I need a track focused car though. I had fun driving my 07’ but it was just too hard to keep cool (it didn’t help it was 95deg out!), the Nitto NT05’s weren’t enough tire and the car could have used more spring in it (because it weighs as much as a truck!). I’m hoping to have a track car by spring (or next week, I’m not picky).

Too bad the most exciting/challenging driving of the entire weekend was on the way home. I lost both right side trailer tires (24’ enclosed) at 80mph, while going around a curve……while talking on the phone.:omfg: That was a pucker moment to say the least. Looked cool though. There were so many sparks coming off of the non rotating (and now “D” shaped rims) it looked like the trailer was re-entering the earths atmosphere.:roflmao: That took a while to get sorted out and cleaned up. Good thing I had a 2.5ton jack with me. And my tuner, Paul from Paul’s High Performance was nice enough to come bail me out (it was late Sat night). He had someone drop him off so he could drive my car back to his shop and I could tow the trailer which was short enough tires to “haul” safely.

Again thanks to the HOD crew, and it was good talking with you Carl. Looking forward to more events next year with a track focused car.

And talk Eric into some Grattan dates, that place is a complete riot!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Managed to pull a little good video out of what was shot. My friend Matt (Powered by Ford) had the camera on his car most of the day.

Car worked pretty good considering that EVERYTHING was untested. Its too bad it was so hot out (94 deg). I had to manage temps the entire time. MY IAT's were in the 165-175deg range and water temps in the 220-240deg range. Spinning a Kenne Bell at its max RPM is not a fantastic setup for road courses, no matter how much cooler you have.

I had to keep the throttle under 50%, didn't rev it past 5250 much at all and "coasted" down most of the straight parts. I had to run the water pumps/fans the entire time between sessions in the pits. And to add insult to injury race fuel (I was running it because of the IAT's) ended up costing me $3.70/lap!

I also handicapped myself a bit by running the NT05's at 38psi (cold) so they wouldn't chunk up on me. With that much pressure they were moving around quite a bit. It was fun, but not the fastest way around.

A NA car or one that spins the blower a lot slower (and therefore cooler) would have been more fun to drive. I ran my friends NA 3v S197 late in the day and despite being quite a bit slower it was more fun to drive. Coasting down the straights to keep temps down doesn't do much for your rhythm.

Had a great time though. Not a bad first track day (in a car). I need to add a dedicated track car to the stable if I'm going to do this regularly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Pfekx4sXI

Last edited: