Hooked on Driving events (Midwest/Great Lakes)

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
As of right now, only two spots left in B. You've got a full house in C, Dave.

Aaahhhh.... [Monte Burns] Most excellent![/Monte Burns]

Mr_Burns_150x176.jpg

Now what were those passing rules again? No passing except braking to apex??? (I kid, kid!)

Reaction score
2013 HOD Schedule

So who's getting ready for next season? Those with heated garages, I presume.

Hooked on Driving Great Lakes is upping the ante this year with our schedule. We can now say "yes" to the constant barrage of "Road America?" questions. :rock: Thought I'd fan the flames of the guys fantasizing about your next track outing. The few events listed without prices are still being worked out.

Feb 2, Saturday - Open House Fall-Line Motorsports, Buffalo Grove IL, 9am-11am Stop by and check out how the local boys you see on TV operate.

March 29, Friday – Full Track @ Autobahn Country Club, Joliet IL - $285 early registration/$315 after March 15

May 6, Monday – Mid Ohio, Lexington OH (with the National Corvette Museum)

May 31, Friday – Gingerman Raceway, S. Haven MI - $195 early registration/$215 after May 19

July 8, Monday – Full Track @ Autobahn County Club, Joliet IL - $285 early registration/$315 after June 23

August 12, Monday – Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI

August 24-25, Saturday & Sunday – Gingerman Raceway, S. Haven MI – For Single Day-$195 early registration/$215 after Aug 11. For Both Days $350 early registration/$390 after Aug 11

October 7, Monday – Full Track @ Autobahn Country, Joliet IL (with the National Corvette Museum)

Reaction score
Any forum Discounts this year?

As of right now, there aren't simply because focus is on getting contracts finalized. Stay tuned and I'll post any as they come up. Best bet is to take advantage of the early registration offers.

More info on the Fall Line open house:

HOD is hosting a Private Open-House with Fall-Line Motorsports in Buffalo Grove IL-1225 Busch Parkway. Fall-Line specializes in products, engine building, and tuning for Hi-Performance Vehicles, from street cars to race cars. Get up close and personal with Fall-Line's racing professionals. Attend various educational workshops, from Safety, Alignments, Car Builds, Data Coaching, and Pro-Racing, there is something for everyone.

February 2, 9am-11am, space is LIMITED, please RSVP by January 26th! Ph: 779-475-0402 or [email protected].

Visit their website - http://fall-linemotorsports.com/

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Road America sounds like it would be fun. Any clue on price?

For a track day IMHO Road America is boring. Once you get over going real fast (well, not REAL FAST if you are in a car) down the straights it's ho hum.

Racing on the other hand is a lot of fun because you have the draft and a lot of big time brake zones.

Road America is hard on parts too.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
It's a badass track. I've been around it and even with my slow 3 valve I am doing over 120 through it. RA is just a kick ass track though.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Road America is a motorsports Mecca, when it all boils down to it... Just pulling under the Kohler bridge (underneath turn 13) gives me chills. The track is impeccably maintained, with a seriously pro crew (and I mean PROFESSIONAL), and while the track isn't hard to learn, it's in the nuances that the real excitement lies. The Carousel is an ideal place to test your handling balance (LOOONNNGGGG right-hand sweeper), The Kink will test the size of your nut-sack, and I have a serious love/hate relationship with Turn 5: 145 down to 53 mph, in 350', dropping 70' in elevation while you're at it. Threhsold braking downhill is a challenge, particularly while you heel/toe 5-4, 4-3, 3-2 at the same time. Yes, there are three huge straights, and yes, the track can and will play hell with your brakes, but everything else more than makes up for it. Mid-Ohio is nice, as well, but once you get over the elevation changes, the corners start to look a little, well, similar. There are some epic areas, like the whole Madness complex, and dropping down into Thunder Valley with the tail swinging out left, but given my choice, I'd grab Road America in a heartbeat. The place simply drips history. Just make sure you don't spin out in it! Oh, and Seibken's trumps ANYTHING near Mid-O.

DUFUS

forum member
Reaction score
Thumbs up for Road America. Beyond the driving experience, it's just a tremendous venue/facility. I'm just a casual HPDE'r, so if I have no work to do between sessions it's a great place to wander around and view other cars running, from multiple areas. That's what kills me about The Autobahn CC, you're pretty much stuck in a giant parking lot, with limited viewing options. And for me, always melting in the heat it seems. I understand, comparing apples and oranges in that aspect, it wasn't built for spectating. But for me, RA is worth the extra time/effort to get to, multiple times per year.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I need to go drive it. I go and watch the LeMans race every year and that track is even awesome to spectate at.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Road America is a motorsports Mecca, when it all boils down to it... Just pulling under the Kohler bridge (underneath turn 13) gives me chills. The track is impeccably maintained, with a seriously pro crew (and I mean PROFESSIONAL), and while the track isn't hard to learn, it's in the nuances that the real excitement lies. The Carousel is an ideal place to test your handling balance (LOOONNNGGGG right-hand sweeper), The Kink will test the size of your nut-sack, and I have a serious love/hate relationship with Turn 5: 145 down to 53 mph, in 350', dropping 70' in elevation while you're at it. Threhsold braking downhill is a challenge, particularly while you heel/toe 5-4, 4-3, 3-2 at the same time. Yes, there are three huge straights, and yes, the track can and will play hell with your brakes, but everything else more than makes up for it. Mid-Ohio is nice, as well, but once you get over the elevation changes, the corners start to look a little, well, similar. There are some epic areas, like the whole Madness complex, and dropping down into Thunder Valley with the tail swinging out left, but given my choice, I'd grab Road America in a heartbeat. The place simply drips history. Just make sure you don't spin out in it! Oh, and Seibken's trumps ANYTHING near Mid-O.

Thumbs up for Road America. Beyond the driving experience, it's just a tremendous venue/facility. I'm just a casual HPDE'r, so if I have no work to do between sessions it's a great place to wander around and view other cars running, from multiple areas. That's what kills me about The Autobahn CC, you're pretty much stuck in a giant parking lot, with limited viewing options. And for me, always melting in the heat it seems. I understand, comparing apples and oranges in that aspect, it wasn't built for spectating. But for me, RA is worth the extra time/effort to get to, multiple times per year.

I need to go drive it. I go and watch the LeMans race every year and that track is even awesome to spectate at.

Maybe I have just raced there too many times. It just doesn't light my fire.

I have to drive through TPRC (The Peoples Republic of Chicago) to get there too.......that may have something to do with it.

DUFUS

forum member
Reaction score
I have to drive through TPRC (The Peoples Republic of Chicago) to get there too.......that may have something to do with it.

Ha! That's kinda my issue with getting to Autobahn. Not through Chicago exactly, but on freaking tollways with the chance of heavy traffic any time of any day.

Reaction score
Road America sounds like it would be fun. Any clue on price?

Just guessing, but I would expect pricing to be in the $350 range. It's a BIG and expensive track to rent. I'll push for the $25 bucks off for first timers promo code. Stay tuned.

Road America will be a blast. I absolutely love that whole facility. It's like the racing Disneyland of the Midwest on race weekends. I seriously need to work on my lap times. So far my fastest lap was 2 hours. (walking) :beerdrink:

Our event will be the Monday after the Grand-Am/ALMS. We hope to have a pop up canopy for people to come check us out. Otherwise, you'll find me enjoying some New Glarus under it. Sounds like a great weekend to take a couple days off to watch some racing, then try out the racers lines on Monday.. Race car Summer camp!

On a side note, this could come in handy on some tracks (ahem..Road America):
HOD has been recognized as a leader in the HPDE market for our safety record. Lockton-Affinity, which is a physical insurance provider, offers a 10% discount to any premiums for customers driving in HOD events nationally. Our events will be listed on their website, http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com, check out the quick quote to see how much insurance would be, ex. $20,000 = $143 for 1-event…less HOD 10%, $129.

fun4me

forum member
Reaction score
Regular insurance doesn't cover your car while at the track(s)?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back