Hooked on Driving events (Midwest/Great Lakes)

Reaction score
Regular insurance doesn't cover your car while at the track(s)?

I have heard some policies will cover track outings so long as they are not competitive events such as NASA time trials. Hooked on Driving is a non-competitive setting, but it's best to go over your policy and/or speak with your insurance agent to clarify what is covered and what isn't.

fun4me

forum member
Reaction score
How would they know if you were at the track or on the street?
Second question, if purchasing track insurance how do you know who is liable for the accident if it involves other cars?

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
They wouldn't... but personally, I'd rather not get busted for insurance fraud. If you're not comfortable with the possibility of replacing your car out of pocket, you shouldn't be taking it on track.

HPDE insurance will only cover your car, regardless of the situation. If somebody rams your car into a wall, your insurance policy will cover the damages, and all the other driver is really expected to do is say "sorry about that".

I've used Lockton insurance a couple times (thankfully have never made a claim), and they will also cover some amount of clean-up, towing, and rental car expenses.

Reaction score
They wouldn't... but personally, I'd rather not get busted for insurance fraud.

Exactly.

I threw the insurance bit in there just as a data point and to inform those that may be "turned off" to track days because due to the risks involved. I will say that our coaches are very good at keeping risks down. Hence the discount.

Back on topic please...

fun4me

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Last weekend at gingerman, cars were spinning all over the place because of the wet track. Thats why I even mentioned anything.

Reaction score
Those of you that made it out to the Fall-Line Open house got to see some pretty neat stuff. There were stations set up all around the shop discussing alignment, setup, data analysis, etc. Plus, there was some serious hardware to look at. (Including some Mustangs to my surprise). More photos available here

2wez2u1.jpg

Also, pricing for the year has been updated. Entering "HOD25" in the coupon code section will get you $25 bucks off your first event. This can also be applied to the "early bird" pricing. I would take advantage of that to save a few bucks.

March 29, Friday – Full Track @ Autobahn Country Club, Joliet IL - $285 early registration/$315 after March 15

May 6, Monday – Mid Ohio, Lexington OH (with the National Corvette Museum)

May 31, Friday – Gingerman Raceway, S. Haven MI - $195 early registration/$215 after May 19

July 8, Monday – Full Track @ Autobahn County Club, Joliet IL - $285 early registration/$315 after June 23

August 12, Monday – Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI - $325.00

August 24-25, Saturday & Sunday – Gingerman Raceway, S. Haven MI – For Single Day-$195 early registration/$215 after Aug 11. For Both Days $350 early registration/$390 after Aug 11

October 7, Monday – Full Track @ Autobahn Country, Joliet IL (with the National Corvette Museum) - $325.00

Reaction score
We've got some events coming up. Figured I'd come in and give a reminder.

Mid-Ohio May 6th - $285.00
Gingerman May 31st - 195.00

Events listing page

Coupon code "HOD25" is still good for first timers and we are also offering $40 credit for referrals. Details for referral credit is in the second paragraph of the top of the events page.

Things are in the woodwork to make some interesting events alongside partnerships with different clubs and organizations, but can't give out details yet. All I can say is that it looks like this is going to be a year of great expansion and we're pretty stoked about it.

I've got a set of Continental Challenge scrubs ready to go. Who's coming out?

Reaction score
Will BIR be on the schedule at any point in a year or two?

BIR?..(google)...Oh Brainerd! Man, that's a haul. We are interested in doing as many events at as many different locations as possible, but Brainerd hasn't been brought up in any conversations that I've been in yet. That doesn't mean it won't happen. I just can't say.

If you (or anyone) knows of clubs or organizations in the area that are interested in working with HOD, forward them to [email protected] or [email protected]

Might as well through this in there while I'm here:

Eric (head honcho of HOD Great Lakes) is a 'stang banger now!

2u8wbci.jpg

Eric's, mine, and my student's car at Blackhawk Farms during MCSCC's High Speed Autocross School last weekend.

He plans on running the car at MCSSC HSAX events, Heidt's Performance Car Challenge, along with having fun with it at our events.

Looks like he's on the right path.

Reaction score
Road America: *@$# yeah!

The people asked and asked "Are you doing Road America?". The answer is yes. But we need people to come out to our events to keep this event on our calendar! We'll have a campsite set up with a HOD popup canopy at site 391 and 392. Come by and say hi, talk racing, mustangs, or even sign up for the event! If I'm around and you say "the eagle has landed", I'll hand you a cold beer. :beerchug2:
(Hint: find thethe guy with most facial hair and aviators)

You may say that you can run Road America with another organization for cheaper. That may be true, but that's in what, November? Wouldn't you rather go out during a nice summer day right when the track is nice and rubbered in after a weekend of racing? I would. Bottom line is this legendary monster of a track isn't the cheapest to run an event at. :naughty1:

Aside from having great dates at awesome tracks, Hooked on Driving also prides itself on providing the most complete track day experience. From the staff, to getting customers the most track time possible, to our coaches. Especially our coaches. For the most part, instructors or coaches get "paid" with track time. While they may be a hell of a wheel, not all people are geared for coaching. HODs coach database is hand selected and we do our best to pair them up with the closest corresponding participant based on car, experience, and what they are exactly looking to achieve that day.

We've also got Gingerman coming up this month too. $350 for the weekend or $195 for either Saturday/Sunday.

Hope to see you out at the track soon and don't forget to enter HOD25 for $25 bucks off your first event!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Are there any special rules for running a convertible at your events?

My sincere apologies for missing this. Here's HOD's stand on convertibles. Short answer, if you have a Mustang convertible, you'll need a 4 point roll bar.

We've got a spontaneous track day on Autobahn South coming up Monday by teaming up with Team Stradale for $250 Event details and registration

We're also doing the FULL COURSE at Autobahn on Oct. 7th. This is another event with the National Corvette Museum. The NCM brings in participants from all states so register early to reserve your spot!
Event details and registration

Reaction score
Most of us in the Midwest are looking outside and not thinking racing, but that doesn't mean we can't have some fun indoors while we wait for spring to..um..spring.

Go Kart event Feb 1st
First up is a go kart event at Melrose Park Indoor Grand Prix this Saturday from 3-8pm. Come out and shake the rust off (or show off) your driving skills while enjoying the company of other gear heads over some FREE pizza. There is also a cash bar serving beer (but we will let you use that at your own discretion, of course)

We do ask that you do sign up here beforehand by Friday Night/Saturday morning at the latest. There is NO COMMITMENT OR PAYMENT NECESSARY at registration. We just need a list of names in the database so that the process is as painless as possible to get you in on our predetermined 50% discount price. The discount includes three races and head sock/helmet if needed for 26$. If you are still feeling frisky, an additional three races can be purchased for $20. That's groupon pricing right there.

Sign up here. For all that sign up will be entered in a drawing for one of three $50 gift certificate for the 2014 HOD great lakes season. The drawing will be at approximately 5:30pm.

Fall Line Open House Feb. 22nd
Next up is an open house at Fall Line Motorsports on Feb. 22nd.
This will be an open house for all HOD customers and guests from 10am till noon. Fall-Line will have various discussion and demonstration stations setup throughout the shop for us all to visit and learn. All attendees registered here will qualify for the free drawing of cool car guy swag provided by Fall-line, HOD and affiliates.

Space is limited to the 80 participants 12 years old and up.

Only participants registered here will qualify for the drawing. Select pay offline for quick checkout since the event registration is FREE. We ask that you only register if you are absolutely sure you will be attending due to participant space being limited.

Also as an FYI, don’t forget to ask about all that Fall-line has to offer and the discount to HOD customers of -10% on select items with a limit of $100.

Now let's talk about our 2014 track events. Hooked On Driving is going to try some new things this year to get more people on the track. One of the new concepts we are going to try is an afternoon/evening track day. This opens up opportunities for people that don't have the time or expenses available to commit to a full day. Track will go live at 4:30pm with the final checker waved at 8:30pm. The real kicker is that this will be FULL COURSE Autobahn. Our June 25th event will surely be a unique experience at an excellent price. We are also going to be upping the ante with the amount of events including weekend dates.

Check out the rest of our schedule and feel free to ask me any questions. Also don't forget the "HOD25" discount code for first timers to get 25% off your first event.

2014 Event listings:

Come Join us for the 2nd Annual - Cabin Fever Reliever! Autobahn Country Club, Joliet IL
Friday - March 28, 2014
Registration Fee: $285.00

Autobahn Country Club - Full Circuit
Evening ONLY DEAL! Autobahn Country Club, Joliet IL
Wednesday - June 25, 2014
Registration Fee: $155.00

Autobahn Country Club - Saturday ONLY Registration !
Saturday - July 12, 2014
Registration Fee: $345.00

Autobahn Country Club - Saturday AND Sunday Registration !
Saturday - July 12, 2014 / Sunday - July 13, 2014
Registration Fee: $599.00

Autobahn Country Club - South Circuit
Autobahn Country Club - Sunday ONLY Registration !
Sunday - July 13, 2014
Registration Fee: $325.00

Road America
Presented By K and N - Monday Following the TUDOR Weekend !
Monday - August 11, 2014

Gingerman Raceway
Gingerman - Saturday ONLY Registration ! Featuring The Mustang Club Of America
Saturday - August 30, 2014
Registration Fee: $235.00

Gingerman Raceway
Gingerman - Saturday AND Sunday Registration ! Featuring The Mustang Club Of America
Saturday - August 30, 2014 / Sunday - August 31, 2014
Registration Fee: $375.00

Gingerman Raceway
Gingerman - Sunday ONLY Registration ! Featuring The Mustang Club Of America
Sunday - August 31, 2014
Registration Fee: $215.00

5th Annual HOD Fundraising Event for the National Corvette Museum! Autobahn Country Club, Joliet IL
Monday - October 6, 2014

More details and Registration HERE

Carl

Last edited:

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Hahaha... Jason as Rambo? Yup, I can see it! :)

I would really enjoy some seat time in both of your cars- just to drive them around the block once or twice to see how they feel. I'm beginning to dislike my car's handling very much, but would like to have something to compare it to...

I would think you would be able to get your hands on some good shit to compare it to without their help...

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I'm signing up for a track day at Brainerd Raceway to get to know my car more. It's $350 for a day of running with instructors. I think that should get me majorly hooked on the curves and send me down a dark expensive road. I'm going to try to do the Road America corvette day after the Tudor race if they have it this year. I know the did when LeMans was there.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
Damn I need to get a roll bar so I can run my vert at road America! I live just 25 minutes from there.

Reaction score
RE: HOD gokart event

The snowstorm put a damper on turnout, but it worked out so that we were all able to run in our own group. We had pizza, beer, gokarts, and even a few ladies to race with. Here's a recap.

Don't forget about the Fall Line event. You don't need to be a HOD customer to attend. Just make sure you go if you register to keep spots available.

Last edited:
Reaction score
^Race videos can get tiring pretty quick without serious action, but not one person stuck around for the biff at the end? Perhaps I should have made it a little shorter. Oh well..

The weather in the Midwest has sucked. Hard. So much that we've had to reschedule our first event that was scheduled next week. As of right now, our first event is on May 5th at Autobahn. This is going to be run on the full circuit (or the mini-Nurburgring of the Midwest as I call it). This means you'll be driving two courses at the same time. You simply won't find more twists and turns per lap around these parts than that. The hump from the South track to the North track is a hoot and always makes me giggle every time.

And now if we could dim the lights
Just to give some backstory...I'm not some paid spokesperson telling you HOD is the best cheapest OMG experience you'll ever have in your life. I was just another track rat just wanting to get out there and crank some laps in fury like the racing heroes I watched growing up. During which, I met up with a fellow that was on the same level, Eric who is now owner of the Midwest region of HOD, and became good pals. He decided he was going to try and make a living out of the things people in this subforum and other track timers dream about. But, what makes his angle different is that it's backed by a serious business model. Of which equates to focusing on the customer resulting in a vacation type atmosphere having fun with their cars no matter who they are or what they drive.

It doesn't matter what your prep or experience level is. If you've always said "I've got to get out to one of these things", but are worried about the risk or your own personal ability, we've got you covered. We've got staff (including forum members Dave and John) that show up to our events even when their own cars are down simply for the love of the hobby coming out to create the best track day experience possible.

And for the hardcore track rats that feel that they don't need a helping hand and are looking to save a few bucks (which I get): our advanced groups are one the best places to get their testing and tuning in without out the "hands ups, wtf is this!" type moments or possibly having assistance from coaches that are there simply for track time and not focused on your best interests. There's your price difference. We've gone as far as offering exclusive track to professional teams such as Fall Line Motorsports when called upon.

So enough of the spiel, come on out and have some fun already. I can't wait for Road America.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back