How durable? 05 GT automatic

thewheelman

Reaction score
I have a 07 GT500, which I bought new. It has been (mostly) a trouble free car, but have zero experience with the 4.6 GT of the same body style. I'm looking at a 2005 GT convertible, automatic, with 136k on the clock. How durable are they? I have known this car since new, but now considering buying it. I know it's been "taken care of" but the trans, a/c, electrical issues worry me. Is 136k too much? It will be driven daily about 5 months out of the year.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Most 5R55S 5-speed transmissions start to develop problems somewhere between 100-150k miles but some go past that trouble free. It all depends on how the car was driven and if the fluid/filter was changed at appropriate intervals. Stop/start city driving and sitting at stoplights with the selector in D and foot on the brake pedal will shorten auto tranny life, whereas cruising on the highway will prolong it.
The 5R55S has two known weak areas: servo bore wear and a 10-spline input shaft. Fixing both isn't cheap and some choose instead to transplant the stronger 6R80 6-speed auto (with transmission harness) from an 11-14 GT.
If you're only going to drive the car 5 months per year, it might take a long time before the auto tranny starts giving you problems so just enjoy it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
My car has 150K in her and the majority of that has been pushing 11 psi of boost. As Dino said the tranny is probably the weakest link. I've been through 3 already but I abuse my car like a red headed step child. Besides the tranny the only other maintenance I didn't consider routine was changing out my timing components and I only did it when I had to change my front cover, but I also run a bunch of aftermarket parts. The motor is pretty stock minus the blower and cams but basically untouched as far as engine internals. Normal maintenance and love should take you far.

KLJ777

Reaction score
I hate the 5R55. I am on my 3rd and this one seems to be built right.
I am
500HP at the rear wheels and race 4x a year. only have 35K on her.
The trans also has bands like a minibike and they do not hold up well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back