how much boost??

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much boost can the V6 handle before it goes boom? Im about to put a s/c on the car and it has already a 10psi pulley and I want to upgrade it to a 12psi pulley but something is telling me to do 14psi, is that too much for it?

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
How much boost can the V6 handle before it goes boom? Im about to put a s/c on the car and it has already a 10psi pulley and I want to upgrade it to a 12psi pulley but something is telling me to do 14psi, is that too much for it?

yeah dude, I'd say ten lbs and call it a day. unless you wanna give supersixmotorsports a call.... :popcorneat:

stick with 10 lbs before you are ready to pull out the motor and post up some info on the install of the blower if you can. that was a great deal there! lucky fucker.... lol.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well i know 12psi isnt going to be a problem. I know a guy that was running 14psi with stock everything with the ph turbo kit. So i was just wondering.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I started out with the 10psi pulley and am now running the 12. While I would like more of course, I'm leery about pushing the stock internals any further.

Keep in mind, you may run into fuel supply issues even with the 12, unless you do some upgrading. And you should get it retuned for the 12 because more air will be flowing and more fuel will be needed.

For the fuel supply, do datalogging on your FPDC (fuel pump duty cycle) and see how close to 100% you get at WOT/top rpms. With the stock wiring/setup, I was around 95% with the 10 psi pulley. I did a wiring upgrade and got it down to like 85%, then with the 12 psi pulley, I'm back at near 95% at peak rpms/peak boost. No way would I have been able to deliver enough fuel for the 12 pulley with the stock wiring. Of course if you have a BAP then you're probably already set.

I also saw more crankcase blow-by pressure, so make sure you have adequate crankcase ventillation to allow the pressure to escape. I use at least one breather and sometimes two now.

There's always something else to be aware of with more boost :).

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I started out with the 10psi pulley and am now running the 12. While I would like more of course, I'm leery about pushing the stock internals any further.

Keep in mind, you may run into fuel supply issues even with the 12, unless you do some upgrading. And you should get it retuned for the 12 because more air will be flowing and more fuel will be needed.

For the fuel supply, do datalogging on your FPDC (fuel pump duty cycle) and see how close to 100% you get at WOT/top rpms. With the stock wiring/setup, I was around 95% with the 10 psi pulley. I did a wiring upgrade and got it down to like 85%, then with the 12 psi pulley, I'm back at near 95% at peak rpms/peak boost. No way would I have been able to deliver enough fuel for the 12 pulley with the stock wiring. Of course if you have a BAP then you're probably already set.

I also saw more crankcase blow-by pressure, so make sure you have adequate crankcase ventillation to allow the pressure to escape. I use at least one breather and sometimes two now.

well i know 12psi isnt going to be a problem. I know a guy that was running 14psi with stock everything with the ph turbo kit. So i was just wondering.

BAP would be a good idea. I'm sure they're running 14 psi without much problem, but for how long is the question. I'd leave it on ten with a safe tune until I can build the block. 12psi, is a maybe though.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

OK so....What kind of wiring upgrade did you have to do? and how would i know if i have an adequate crankcase with good ventillation?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The wiring upgrade is a simple fuel pump wiring upgrade (not sure if it's posted how to on this site); you run larger wiring back to the FPDM (fuel pump driver module) at the very rear of the car inside the spare tire well, and then run larger wiring from there to the fuel pump plug under the driver side passenger seat, using a relay to provide power to the pump. If you can do good wiring and soldering, this is an easy project. ...ok mayhbe I should do a writeup and some pics...but they already exist somewhere, to some extent. I just made sure I spliced into the proper wires by looking at a couple wiring diagrams, and all is well.

As far as crankcase pressure, I knew I had probelms when my dipstick was pushing out from being fully seated, and getting some oil blown back through the supercharger discharge. I didnt really measure anything though, just could see the results. I don't run a pcv but instead run both valve cover outlets though 1/2 and 5/8" lines to a common point where a breather sits, and then feeds through an oil coalescing filter and back into the intake pipe ahead of the supercharger (and ahead of the maf). With the valve cover hoses connecting to the air intake after the maf, you'll probably have idling issues if you slap a breather on because of unmetered air, if using the pcv on the passenger side.

(I need to do a good writup on all this, as I already have detailed notes and some pics.)

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
just noticed the only real v6 enthusiasts that post on here are from tx. we should all meet up one weekend. Would be hella fun!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
...some during-installation pics... (I need to post some more recent ones with minor changes).

This one you can see the sc discharge and bov behind the air filter...
sc_complete1_medium.jpg

sc_complete2.jpg

sc_complete3.jpg

Intercooler with front stock grill tabs cutout (and lower grill missing in this pic):
S2010002.jpg

..and one of my favorite: what the hell is that! pics (was actually during sc install, where I had the sc hooked up and belt-driven and wanted to blow some air through the intercooler to kind of clean it out before hooking it up to the tb; the K&N cai was still connected for this, with stock fuel injectors.)
test_setup_1.jpg

Last edited:

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
just got registered on here haha, a serious v6 guy not from tx....

i know we have talked a bit on the collective about this, but i'll post up here too.

i have been running 12psi for almost a year now with stock fueling system, no wiring upgrades no b.a.p. nothing. i am looking into this stuff now because of some plans i got.... but when doug tunned the car he told me he was able to make do with the stock fuel system, but he suggested that i do some type of upgrade because my duty cycle was high.

at 12psi and up were also looking at valve float at high rpm's. i have my rev limiter set a 6k to try and keep it away but there has been a few float valves at less than 5.5k with higher boost. if your talking about bob with the ph turbo running high boost, he has some "secret" valve springs, and dont have he problem. the only reason i'm not running more boost is because of this valve float. there are a few guy who have shimmed the sock valve springs and fixed the problem.

as for just how much boost.... i believe with valve, and fuel problems addressed, you could run 14-15 psi with a fat tune and be ok. this s-trim vortech on our motors wont make but about 16psi max i think, with out getting some type of overdrive crank pulley which i dont think exists.

there are a lot more things you gotta look at before just swaping pulleys.

i can provide example of why i think all this stuff, but again this is just me and my motor lol so i'll blow it if i want.

but really, run the 12 get a great tune and call it a day. start working on making the car faster from other directions. its what i'v done for the past year, and i'm hell on the car.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back