How much does a renovation cost?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajesak

Reaction score
I bought a townhouse last year in San Pedro. I was told that a refurb would cost about 100-150k euro.
When the quote came in, it was 267k euro which was way above my budget.

I wanted basically to gut the inside, and do a total rebuild on 200 sqm, cover terrrace, put in a/c and heating etc.
Hi end specs.

This works out as a refurb price of about 1,350 euro per sqm which seems excessive. I am sure building costs are much lower.

Does anyone have an indication as to what one should expect to pay?

Reaction score
I bought a townhouse last year in San Pedro. I was told that a refurb would cost about 100-150k euro.
When the quote came in, it was 267k euro which was way above my budget.

I wanted basically to gut the inside, and do a total rebuild on 200 sqm, cover terrrace, put in a/c and heating etc.
Hi end specs.

This works out as a refurb price of about 1,350 euro per sqm which seems excessive. I am sure building costs are much lower.

Does anyone have an indication as to what one should expect to pay?

We have a saying here in the USA about the price of anything "high end" and its "If you have to ask you can't afford it". I'm afraid that is what you are experiencing. Contractors are most always ripping you off. I am having the same problem getting my roof replaced after hurricane Ian.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I always get there estimates from referred, reputable & established contractors. I make sure their is some type of Warranty and I always confirm they all are licensed & insured. I also do full research on all of then… BBB, yelp, google, county/state, etc.

I have been extremely successful going this route.

MrBhp

Reaction score
I'll do it for 265k, plus room and board.

sajesak

Reaction score
We have a saying here in the USA about the price of anything "high end" and its "If you have to ask you can't afford it". I'm afraid that is what you are experiencing. Contractors are most always ripping you off from this mayflowerva. I am having the same problem getting my roof replaced after hurricane Ian.
thank you s much for your help

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Get at least THREE quotes. And be real specific about exactly what you want done. I usually get 3-4 quotes, and the results always amaze me.... ranging from reasonable to absurd.

The absurd quotes will take a project...and turn it into a.....'make work project'.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I always get there estimates from referred, reputable & established contractors. I make sure their is some type of Warranty and I always confirm they all are licensed & insured. I also do full research on all of then… BBB, yelp, google, county/state, etc.

I have been extremely successful going this route.
You mean three estimates.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yes … big fingers small keypad and auto correct have gotten me in trouble before. Lol

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
new shower.jpg We did an add on handicap compatible bedroom. Bid came in at $65,000 for 530 sq feet. End cost was $140,000. This was 2&1/2 years ago. Three contractors backed out, too much available work here in North Idaho. Finally, got a guy from our church and his brother. Great at the construction but not at finish work. He way over sold his abilities.

So, I have a room built, it's functional, fit's our needs with poor finish work. As to the finish price, I spoke with two retired contractor friends of mine. Both said his price was well within the norm, citing cost of materials at that time. The brother was a real artist given the work he did in the bathroom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back