How safe is Nitrous on a stock GT?

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The reason you run a richer mixture is for a variety of reasons. The first is how combustion takes place in a nitrous motor is different than in a NA motor. Nitrous oxide does not burn, it is an oxidizer. It provides more oxygen, so more fuel can be burned, and the result is more power. The atoms in a nitrous oxide molecule are bonded together. At 565 degrees F, the bond is broken and the oxygen is then free. By adding nitrous oxide to an engine, the total amount of oxygen is increased and other gasses that do not support combustion (mostly nitrogen) are decreased. This speeds the burn rate and requires less timing advance for peak output. It is hard for many people to grasp gaining power with less timing, but it’s a fact. Peak cylinder pressure must occur approximately 20 degrees ATDC to make peak power. If you speed the burn rate, peak cylinder pressure will occur to soon. It is easy to run too much ignition advance with nitrous, but too much will not only hurt power, it can quickly bring a nitrous engine into detonation and destroy it.

This brings us to another reason you need more fuel in the cylinder. To keep the engine out of detonation, you must control the extra heat that nitrous makes. The easiest way to do this is to add more fuel. All nitrous systems come with rich jetting to give you a safe starting point. The extra fuel takes away heat and raises the detonation limit. If you don’t try to over do it, and keep the hp levels within reason, running slightly richer should be all you’ll need to control detonation. Running richer will both reduce the power output, but will raise the detonation limit to allow more nitrous to be used .

And last but not least "Atomization". You need a richer mixture to better the chances of the nitrous mixing with fuel. If a nitrous engine runs lean, it can destroy the engine in a matter of seconds. There must be enough fuel for the nitrous to react with, if there isn’t, temperatures rise rapidly. The oxygen that couldn’t react with fuel will oxidize any parts that get hot enough, and the next thing in line to burn is aluminum.

Good stuff, thanks, Matt. Richard at Strictly Pro is providing the wet kit and doing the install for me. I checked with him and he IS going to use colder plugs, but he also maintained that the stock pump is good for the 125 shot. I just emailed back and asked that he humor me and install the booster pump anyway...so that we ready when we go to higher shot! I also emailed Doug at Bama and asked for an appropriate tune.

I am running 100 shot,the stock pump , with Doug`s tune. I ran a 12:1 at 5600 ft above sea level. Which is really good up here. Never run the nitrous in overdrive,or Traction control on. Check your leanest plug after every nitrous run. That should be the front passangers side. Run some 101 unleaded race gas with your highest grade that your tune is set for. Just my .02

Ok, so can you explain the not-leaving-traction control on and not running my car in 5th on juice? I have 4.10s...5th is actually a usable gear now!

jp's performance

shooting for 11.60's N/A
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ran 125 shot for 6 months zex kit.stock fuel pump 100 oct,no cats shortie headers(i know not worth the money but is worth the weight reduction and no cats)best pass was 11.52=112 video can be seen at www.putfile.com look under johnoct21 car was breaking up in 4th.i would add a ford gt pump and bap.

Last edited:

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Matt, I still don't get you reccomending no race-gas. You've kept yours together thus far so obviously your plans are working so that's good at least. The idea behind it is more protection against detonation.

Ideally you want to run a tune that is setup for 93 octane. Dyno tune the car with it and get everything dialed in. When you get to the track, just top off the tank with 5 gals of 104 just for added protection from detonation. Not for the sake of adding more timing or anything. With a very safe tune, a 30% mix with 105 which is only 12 points higher, should not effect the a/f ratio enough to cause a lean condition regardless of the stoich point.

That's just my opinion and the opinions of everyone else I've known who has had a nitrous car. We've been very successful with that too. Maybe there's just more than one way to skin a cat. What you are reccomending however is going a bit beyond the conventional school of thought which has been tried and true. Know what I mean?

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ran 125 shot for 6 months zex kit.stock fuel pump 100 oct,no cats shortie headers(i know not worth the money but is worth the weight reduction and no cats)best pass was 11.52=112 video can be seen at www.putfile.com look under johnoct21 car was breaking up in 4th.i would add a ford gt pump and bap.

Dude, couldn't find the video....searched using johnoct21 as a keyword and came up with zero.
What exactly do you mean the car was breaking up in 4th?
When Strictly installs mine, he's going to run it on the dyno, which will obviously be in 4th.

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
You guys that keep recommending a fuel pump upgrade, are you running dry kits? As big a pump that comes in these cars, I can't see it being necessary to change pumps. I have ran wet kits in the past and it only takes a little more fuel to get the proper mixture and a/f ratio. The 255 pump that is stock in these cars should be able to handle that easily.

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
Ideally you want to run a tune that is setup for 93 octane. Dyno tune the car with it and get everything dialed in. When you get to the track, just top off the tank with 5 gals of 104 just for added protection from detonation. Not for the sake of adding more timing or anything. With a very safe tune, a 30% mix with 105 which is only 12 points higher, should not effect the a/f ratio enough to cause a lean condition regardless of the stoich point.

On my old car I used to do that on hot days (90+ degrees). I would throw in about 2 gallons of 104-110 octane just for a little piece of mind

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You guys that keep recommending a fuel pump upgrade, are you running dry kits? As big a pump that comes in these cars, I can't see it being necessary to change pumps. I have ran wet kits in the past and it only takes a little more fuel to get the proper mixture and a/f ratio. The 255 pump that is stock in these cars should be able to handle that easily.

Thanks for your input. It seemed to me that if Richard, the owner of the succesful and fairly long-standing, mostly Mustang shop Strictly Performance said I didn't need the extra pump for the 125 shot WET ZEX kit, he would know.

MikeyBlacks

forum member
Reaction score
Keep us posted MrClean...I myself have a Proflow kit waiting to be installed & Im interested with knowing how our car's hold up against a 125 shot...
I know it's all in the tune...But betta safe than sorry & if I need to upgraded the fule pumps, inj..So be it..it's a little added safety insurance.

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
I have the pro flow kit as well. We dynoed both 75 and 100 shots for a MM/FF article. I believe we didn't do the 125 shot more for the fact of needing new plugs. If I was running a 125 shot or higher, I would upgrade the pump just for piece of mind regardless though.

matt texass

Reaction score
I found out today that the new gas stationed that opened up a few days ago has 93. :clap:

Another question. Is the Zex kit any good? Or would you suggest another kit?

What kits should I avoid?

I really really liked the NX plate kit. NX has a great reputation and comes pre-wired and pre loomed for a very clean hassle free install.

LeeBunnyz

forum member
Reaction score
I found out today that the new gas stationed that opened up a few days ago has 93. :clap:

Another question. Is the Zex kit any good? Or would you suggest another kit?

What kits should I avoid?
zex is a great kit...im selling a brand new one with most of the supporting parts for a good price...PM me if interested

QWKSNKE

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. It seemed to me that if Richard, the owner of the succesful and fairly long-standing, mostly Mustang shop Strictly Performance said I didn't need the extra pump for the 125 shot WET ZEX kit, he would know.

Seems like that there are not many people here that have faith in the stock pump which from what I understand is a 255 lph pump.
I would understand if we were talking blower cars in this thread because they do demand a lot more fuel. But nitrous does not demand that much more fuel.

LOL. A 255 lph pump was plenty of fuel on my 93 cobra with 14-15 psi of boost

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back