How to fix the Water Leak on the Passenger floor

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
hey i found this thread searching google and made an account so i can share my story...just had this SAME problem...there is a black little rubber funnel looking groumet and mine was clogged solid...reached down and pulled it out cleaned it out and all the water came out. it was backing up and coming thru the cabin air filter. the tsb is worthless. i didnt see how its possible for water to come thru those 10 groumets on the top of the cowl. tsb had nothing about the cabin air filter plug getting clogged i had to see that for myself. hope this helps some one out. had to pull passenger chair out and dry that side of car all day today.---michael

Same here, unclogged mine a few minutes ago!

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
i have daily driven my car in south florida since february 2006. my car was not garage kept until 3 months ago.3 hurricanes and a bunch of rainstorms. still no leak. go figure. maybe i have a freak.

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
yea. ill check it out to be safe. wait, was this only a problem for 05?

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
hmmm. ill definitely check it out this weekend just to be safe.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Well had a huge storm come through LA and I wake up in the mornin to find my passenger side looking like a bath tub! I remembered this thread and went to work right away and here's the culprit, not the greatest design by Ford I must say. Took it out and behold Niagra Falls...lol. Thanks OP!

DSCN1607.jpg

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Have you had your windshield replaced. IFSO, that piece is use to hold the windshield in place. Under neath your cowl is where the problem is...about six of them.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Have you had your windshield replaced. IFSO, that piece is use to hold the windshield in place. Under neath your cowl is where the problem is...about six of them.

Theirs no way this holds the windshield in place, its the filter that got clogged by all the debris between the firewall..

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
check OP first post with pic's and you will see it positioned in the middle of windshield it is usd to postion the windshield upon install. When I had my wind shields, total of three so far, replaced the installer broke it and it fell into the firewall drain. To my unknowing it, upon the other point where both cowl pieces snap back together in the same location that gromment had failed as well as the other six which would leak too. Chek'm all, if suspecious apply sealant to all. Eventaully they will all fail.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
More Information found on the Leak.

Door Seals Bad
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24319

There is a Lawyer in California working on a Class Action suite in federal court who is looking for people who have had safety issues
with this leak (i.e. Smart Junction Box Failures while driving, Car cutting out, Lights going wacky Ext.)

Ken Lipton
Law Offices of Kenneth M. Lipton
5900 Sepulveda Blvd, #400
Van Nuys, CA 91411-2511
1 (818) 780-3562

Last edited:

BLVCKmamba

forum member
Reaction score
my 05 is the latest victim to this cheap ford design. right now i have a couple shammys soaking up water as i wait for the rain to die down.. i hope my luck is as good as yours in mending the situation

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Its real easy, just pull up that wiper cover and you'll find that black filter at the bottom of your little mini pool.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Like niagra falls! Mine was full of leaves and other random stuff causing it to do the same thing as yours.

DSCN1607.jpg

BLVCKmamba

forum member
Reaction score
ok unfortunately LAstang1234 your method didnt work for me upon removing that nothing happened and now i dont know how to re install that piece.. now as for the grommets everything seemed to be perfectly in tact but upon dropping the position tool for the windshield (the one lastang recommended i remove) into the area behind the fire wall where the cabin air filter is i discovered my problem.. theres a black rubber boot sort of filter thing that was completely clogged with muk and gunk and went ahead and pulled the sucker out and all the water stored there drained out. the water was accumulating there since the rubber was clogged completely and was consuming the passenger side air filter right next to the first grommet on the left.. i pulled the filter out and tried to remove as much gunk as possible from it until i purchase a new one. but i have since washed the car and observed everything during rain and problem solved!!

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Was there a pool of water where the filter is located at? That was my problem. I pulled that litte guy up and all the water drained out.

MUSTANG16

forum member
Reaction score
CAPE COD MA. - LAUDERDALE BY THE SEA, FL.
Well had a huge storm come through LA and I wake up in the mornin to find my passenger side looking like a bath tub! I remembered this thread and went to work right away and here's the culprit, not the greatest design by Ford I must say. Took it out and behold Niagra Falls...lol. Thanks OP!

WTF is that…………………………………… I replaced my cabin air filter a few years ago and I didn't see any water, but don't remember seeing that thing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back