How to fix the Water Leak on the Passenger floor

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
We did that already and it was clean... no problems in there. :/

Sounds like yours might have already had the tsb perform. If not, keep an eye out on it it will eventually fail. Mine just one day out of the blue started to drain like crazy. The middle cowl location where the drivers side cowl panel alighnment socket had completely deteriated away so that hole of just about 1" in diamater was taking water in, not to mention the other 10 grommet points the OP indicated didn't look like in very good shape.

FOMOCO Walmart Quality from their so wise management with a stupid "I can save you money yes man person with an MBA" design mentality. An engineer would of, I would of hoped never sign on to this design.
I damn sure wouldn't. I work with some of these idiots and their assessment is to get the car just past warranty. problem here is for many didn't.

So little of a thing to go cheap on that can come back to haunt you. I like to research their ECP/ECR notice within and see who or whom idiots signed off on this and wonder if they are still in that position.

Maybe they work for British Petroleum now?
Or, the federal government.
Stupid is as stupid does....Forest Gump.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Update...the price of the grommets parts have gone down. Now ~ $4 bucks ea. if you call that a deal. Just have to deal with the part man/women. Most will drop the price. The center bushing is $3.40 and that looks like was my main leak point.

Talked with a service writer and he acted dumfounded. Handed him the TSB..OH yeah I have written up a couple of them, no biggy. Went back to the parts dept and they can't keep enuff parts for the tsb and, one of the techs who does these tsb's was getting teased by the parts dude as the TSB king. I used to work in a dealership when going through school. Back then I didn't like to many service writers. Today, 25yrs later nothing has changed.

So how do you like that.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Appears fixed. Passed water leak. Deviated from sealant type in TSB due to cost. Tried some sealant we use in the Aviation and Marine world. 3m insulation sealant glue and Life Marine sealant silicon rtv good for marine environment above and below water line. Will see how it works out but since both are proven themself in the aviation and marine world they should check good. Thought about using sealant 5400 but that shit is hardcore.

On another note. knowing these failure types have occured in other makers and models you might think that one would think if these grommets failed it would be wise to ensure if it does you would design the fire wall and cowl area to not drain into the car cabin but outside it, duh.

06gtmustang316

forum member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my experience of the horrific water leaking on the passenger floor. After taking off the air cabin cover and doing the proper steps to seal all of the gromets, I noticed a puddle sitting in between the body of the car and the firewall. i emptied all the water out and found that there is a drain at the bottom that drains the water into the engine bay and onto the floor. Mine was completely clogged with debris and mud. what was happening is that that little compartment was filling with water and overflowing into my cabin filter and into the passenger floorboard. So if anyone has this problem, especially in Texas after all that rain, I would check that area first before paying a dealership.

martinr69

Reaction score
I noticed that on mine as well. So since I fixed the groments and drained the water it has not done it again.

07ToRcH

Torch Red FTW
Reaction score
everyone is posting about a leak on the passenger side but this morning I woke up to an inch of water in my rear driverside floor and some on the front driverside floor, we had alot of heavy rain last night here in south texas. do you think its the same cause as the leaking on the passenger side?

martinr69

Reaction score
everyone is posting about a leak on the passenger side but this morning I woke up to an inch of water in my rear driverside floor and some on the front driverside floor, we had alot of heavy rain last night here in south texas. do you think its the same cause as the leaking on the passenger side?

I would say so that's how I noticed mine was leaking

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Do you park on an incline?

I had that happen to me back in July. It rained almost 2 days straight. I go out to my car to drive to work and just happen to feel behind the driver seat and there was a pool of water.

Took it to the dealership that morning and was like :wtf:. They couldn't replicate the problem. They then called back and asked how I parked it (which is on a slight incline). So they jacked the car up and tried spraying water on it again. Well, apparently the window seal on the driver side gave out and let the water leak in (probably didn't help with the constant rain).

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
Foolow this thread and it will fix your issue because I had same exact problem and it fixed it all. Make sure you replace your weatherstripping on your door trim to becaue if you take that trim off you will notice that the OEM one is torn to pieces.

Jaylee

forum member
Reaction score
There are two drain flaps on the fire wall. One for the drivers side and passengers side. They become clogged over time and cause water to get trapped and back up into the car. When I pulled mine it drained about a gallon from each side. I left them out and haven't had any problems since. My buddy is a tech at a Ford dealership, he is the one that told me about it.

07ToRcH

Torch Red FTW
Reaction score
Do you park on an incline?

yea it was, I kinda put 2 and 2 together and figured that out...

I call the company where I have my extended warranty and they said they don't cover any kind of leaks. So is my dealer responsible for fixing this or is this something I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for?

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
yea it was, I kinda put 2 and 2 together and figured that out...

I call the company where I have my extended warranty and they said they don't cover any kind of leaks. So is my dealer responsible for fixing this or is this something I'm going to have to pay out of pocket for?
Sorry dude but you'll have to pay out pocket and do the work yourself so you everything got done right without any shortcuts. It actually isnt that bad but I cut out the insulation under the carpet and bought new ones because it was in rough shape after all that water.

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
Damn, Im glad I found this thread. Torrential downpour in Hampton Roads this morning and I found a half inch of water in my passenger floor board. sooo pissed!! I need to fix this!!!!!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn luke that sucks, its fucking rainng again today, hopefully the sjb didnt get wet or anything.

mikes05gt

Reaction score
Just wanted to add my experience of the horrific water leaking on the passenger floor. After taking off the air cabin cover and doing the proper steps to seal all of the gromets, I noticed a puddle sitting in between the body of the car and the firewall. i emptied all the water out and found that there is a drain at the bottom that drains the water into the engine bay and onto the floor. Mine was completely clogged with debris and mud. what was happening is that that little compartment was filling with water and overflowing into my cabin filter and into the passenger floorboard. So if anyone has this problem, especially in Texas after all that rain, I would check that area first before paying a dealership.

hey i found this thread searching google and made an account so i can share my story...just had this SAME problem...there is a black little rubber funnel looking groumet and mine was clogged solid...reached down and pulled it out cleaned it out and all the water came out. it was backing up and coming thru the cabin air filter. the tsb is worthless. i didnt see how its possible for water to come thru those 10 groumets on the top of the cowl. tsb had nothing about the cabin air filter plug getting clogged i had to see that for myself. hope this helps some one out. had to pull passenger chair out and dry that side of car all day today.---michael

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back