How to fix the Water Leak on the Passenger floor

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
ok unfortunately LAstang1234 your method didnt work for me upon removing that nothing happened and now i dont know how to re install that piece.. now as for the grommets everything seemed to be perfectly in tact but upon dropping the position tool for the windshield (the one lastang recommended i remove) into the area behind the fire wall where the cabin air filter is i discovered my problem.. theres a black rubber boot sort of filter thing that was completely clogged with muk and gunk and went ahead and pulled the sucker out and all the water stored there drained out. the water was accumulating there since the rubber was clogged completely and was consuming the passenger side air filter right next to the first grommet on the left.. i pulled the filter out and tried to remove as much gunk as possible from it until i purchase a new one. but i have since washed the car and observed everything during rain and problem solved!!
If you will notice in the OP pictures on page one that location of that piece refered to as a filter just below the windshield. If your windshield has been replaced it is likley the installer popped it off, mine did. It found it's way to the bag/boot located in the fire wall... If you ever get in the car and smell a musty odor you might have a clogged bag or failing gromments/bushing. It can over time from heat and cold just become brital and popped off. Also, the windshield installer also broke the airdam center position plastic bushing and all kinds of water was leaking in. The OP instruction is a good reminder of a failure point on these cars on top of how to fix it.

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
WHAT IS IT……………………………………:rant:
That little bastard just below the windshield in ceter of airdam.

WaterLeak-9.jpg

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen this thread and thought, "poor bastards..." Up until this weekend, I didn't think I had anything to worry about or tried to convince myself I didn't have it. My car had the new car smell for (I shit you not) 3 years. The only thing I'd alow in it was bottled water. Well, one day it vanished.

Last year I noticed a trickle of water coming from the passenger kick panel after I washed it. And 3 months later after a good rain I heard slushing as I made hard turns. Then the smell became musty 6 months after that. Two nights ago we had a lot of rain. I went in my car after the rain was over and found my passenger rubber mat full of water. A set brake pads in a a box I had on the floor board soaked up a lot of the water, luckily.

So, where is the funnel thing that is supposed to let out all the water I've been riding around with? One on each side? I think the slushing must be water trapped in the firewall.
Thanks for the write up OP!

Gerardo

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
So, where is the funnel thing that is supposed to let out all the water I've been riding around with? One on each side? I think the slushing must be water trapped in the firewall.
Thanks for the write up OP!

Gerardo
Pull your air dam off and all leakable sources wil be apparent. Follow OP direction and Pics, or mine, will geter fixed. Also, take the kick panals off each side in the car to inspect. The passanger side has the computer/fuse panal. Make sure it's dry.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Pull your air dam off and all leakable sources wil be apparent. Follow OP direction and Pics, or mine, will geter fixed. Also, take the kick panals off each side in the car to inspect. The passanger side has the computer/fuse panal. Make sure it's dry.

Just got back in town.
Ok, will do.
Thanks!

Gerardo

06gtmustang316

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt read through the whole thread, but around end of summer last year i was having the same problem as everyone else on here. it would rain, my interior would be SOAKED. im talking standing water still. I would drive and water would come into the car from the passenger floor board as the OPs did. The whole windshield wiper thing was a big waste of time for me and ended up costing money. I looked down with a flashlight right below the cabin filter and what did I see, the drainage hole through the firewall on the botton leading into the engine bay was clogged as shit with leaves and dirt. unclogged it and problem has never happened again. Not saying the other method wouldnt work for some people, but it just didnt seal realistic.

BLVCKmamba

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt read through the whole thread, but around end of summer last year i was having the same problem as everyone else on here. it would rain, my interior would be SOAKED. im talking standing water still. I would drive and water would come into the car from the passenger floor board as the OPs did. The whole windshield wiper thing was a big waste of time for me and ended up costing money. I looked down with a flashlight right below the cabin filter and what did I see, the drainage hole through the firewall on the botton leading into the engine bay was clogged as shit with leaves and dirt. unclogged it and problem has never happened again. Not saying the other method wouldnt work for some people, but it just didnt seal realistic.

glad i could help :thumb::beer:

bub_134

Reaction score
WaterLeak-3.jpg

I did mine over the weekend and it rained last night. Now where the airfilter is I have that area filled with water.
I have the same problem. Mine is pooling up so deep that it is running through the filter and into the ventilation system of the car. Think i'm going to drill some drain holes and hope that takes care of it.

Ok Martin, I fixed it. In the bottom of that area there is a rubber drain plug. Mine was stopped up with dirt and leaves. I simply removed the plug. It's to the right of the filter. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Before you grab a drill and punch new holes, why not try cleaning the crap out of the existing drain holes? Or go ahead and drill if you must. If you haven't read the answers in the previous four pages then you won't read this either. But in case you do, just remove the rubber flap piece in the bottom of the air cowling (about 6"-8" right of the center of the windshield). You can reach behind the motor along the firewall and pull it out from the bottom if you know where it is. It's directly behind the driver side valve cover.

Last edited:

jpowell2101

Reaction score
Thanks a million!

So its been raining for the last couple of days here in Arkansas. I get in my car this morning about 5am and I here water pouring in the passenger side floor board. WTF! My fears went to the heater core from my memories of my 89 Fox. Quick search and my dianosis is found. I removed the passenger cowl and the compartment is about 2 gallons full of water. I sucked it out and here is a couple of pics of the "rubber vagina that soaks your car" grommet. Big thanks to all those who contributed to this thread and making what I though a huge problem a relatively small one. Here are a couple pics of the grommet.

Rubber Vagina Full

IMG_0338.jpg

Rubber Vagina Empty

IMG_0339.jpg

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
Don't forget the one on the driver's side. It probably looks about the same as your passenger side did "before".

Norm

So is there also a similar compartment on the drivers side, the same as the one on the passenger side with a grommet type drain plug inside the cabin filter compartment?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back