How To: MMR Billet Oil Pump Gear's Install

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I used one of those pistol-grip clamps with rubber jaws to compress them. For some reason, I do not have a vise at home yet :-/

one-handed-mini-bar-clamps-82.jpg

This write-up was really helpful in getting me prepared for my shortblock swap. Thanks again dude.

Blazer707@TBR

Official Vendor
Reaction score
No problem!

Lol somehow I have had a vice for years at the house but have never mounted it on the table.

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
Did I miss somewhere the torque spec for the T30 torx bolts that hold the actual oil pump housing together? Balls deep in this right now and I didn't see it on here nor could I find it in the online workshop manual. Does anyone happen to have that?

travelers

Reaction score
Here you go

2. NOTE: Oil pump must be held against the cylinder block until all bolts are tightened.
Tighten the fasteners in the sequence shown in 3 stages:
• Stage 1: Hand tighten.
• Stage 2: Tighten the bolt (1) to 10 Nm (89 lb-in), the stud bolt (2) to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft), the bolt (3) to 10 Nm (89 lb-in) and the stud bolt (4) to 20 Nm (177 lb-in).
• Stage 3: Tighten the bolt (1) an additional 45 degrees, the stud bolt (2) an additional 75 degrees, the bolt (3) an additional 45 degrees and the stud bolt (4) an additional 60 degrees.

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
Here you go

2. NOTE: Oil pump must be held against the cylinder block until all bolts are tightened.
Tighten the fasteners in the sequence shown in 3 stages:
• Stage 1: Hand tighten.
• Stage 2: Tighten the bolt (1) to 10 Nm (89 lb-in), the stud bolt (2) to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft), the bolt (3) to 10 Nm (89 lb-in) and the stud bolt (4) to 20 Nm (177 lb-in).
• Stage 3: Tighten the bolt (1) an additional 45 degrees, the stud bolt (2) an additional 75 degrees, the bolt (3) an additional 45 degrees and the stud bolt (4) an additional 60 degrees.

Those are the bolts that secure the pump to the block. The torque spec I need is for the torx bolts that hold the pump housing itself together, after you've replaced the gears inside of it. Pictured here:

12419197665_e9590ba9a9_c.jpg

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
Well shit the bed, I think that'll work! That one is for the 4.6L oil pump but I can't imagine the torque specs are much - if any - different, so I'll go with that. Exactly what I needed, thanks!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
On our cars. If the head is 8mm or less it seems 89in/lb is the magic number. Lol

Wolf302

Reaction score
awesome write up..will come in handy for my cam/OPG install coming up!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back