How to Silence Rear Axle Noise?

gbstang

Reaction score
Backlash would not concern me. I had even more than that without any noise, except throttle on/off clunk.
I setup my pinion preload by feel only. Sorry.

Backlash should absolutely concern you, anyone who knows anything about proper gear setup be it a transmission, rear end or a set of 30 million dollar reduction gears knows this..

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Backlash should absolutely concern you, anyone who knows anything about proper gear setup be it a transmission, rear end or a set of 30 million dollar reduction gears knows this..
Specs are conservative. I am not going to chase .001 out of tolerance on a car differential. Was the backlash measured dead on, or could that .001 be a measurment error?
I know what I can safely get away with.

Edmon

Reaction score
Specs are conservative. I am not going to chase .001 out of tolerance on a car differential. Was the backlash measured dead on, or could that .001 be a measurment error?
I know what I can safely get away with.
As we can see from ford's repair manual, there's no need on removing the carrier for a pinion seal replacement which obviously disturbs the preload.
So you were right I can tighten the nut and measure the case bearing preload with lb torque wrench. Or by feel if you can

Screenshot_20220208-210939_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20220208-210947_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20220208-210953_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Edmon

Reaction score
Hi, could you give me an advice im stuck here.
So I was tightening the nut to increase the pinion bearing preload, and I over tightened it. Damn.
I took the carrier and pinion gear out, replaced the crush sleeve and when I was assembling the pinion gear back, it kinda was stuck.
I wasnt able to tighten the nut all the way.
The pinion gear had vertical and horizontal play, which i couldn't eliminate, diesnt matter how hard i was tightening.
I inspected the threads they were not all the way out from the flange. Some 2mm were still inwards. How can I push the pinion gear all the way in to free all the threads??
Thanks
Regards

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Hi, could you give me an advice im stuck here.
So I was tightening the nut to increase the pinion bearing preload, and I over tightened it. Damn.
I took the carrier and pinion gear out, replaced the crush sleeve and when I was assembling the pinion gear back, it kinda was stuck.
I wasnt able to tighten the nut all the way.
The pinion gear had vertical and horizontal play, which i couldn't eliminate, diesnt matter how hard i was tightening.
I inspected the threads they were not all the way out from the flange. Some 2mm were still inwards. How can I push the pinion gear all the way in to free all the threads??
Thanks
Regards
How are you tightening the pinion nut?
Sounds like the crush sleeve has not crushed yet.

GriffX

Reaction score
FYI: I used a pinion spacer, not a crush sleeve and the nut is tightened with 175 Nm. I guess you can tighten the nut with a crush sleeve also to 175 Nm without crushing it any further.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back