How to tell if tuner is 'unlocked'?

MOTORCITYBADBOY

forum member
Reaction score
OK, I have not had experience with tuners before. Going to look at a used SCT XF3 tomorrow. So how can I tell if it's really unlocked??

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
I think he meant, plug it into your cars computer, under the steering wheel. I could be wrong though.

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually, pretty sure you can plug it into your laptop and tell too. At least I think I remember doing that with my x2.

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
Either works. Plug it in car or USB port, go to device info, should say unlocks left 4 or 5, and device Unmarried under that. If its fairly recently made tuner, it will have unlocks left, then tune, and if there is anything after tune, it's locked as that's the name of the tune still locked too. Post up a pic on here f needed and I can tell you 100% if its locked or not. Bear in mind too it costs $150 to get it unlocked so better be one helluva deal if locked.

MOTORCITYBADBOY

forum member
Reaction score
OK, i got the tuner and it's unlocked, but the guy got it with his JLT and it doesn't have 'pre-loaded' tunes. So will the JLT tune work for my Steeda CAI or do I need a tune specifically for the Steeda?
Thanks for all the help getting started with the tuner!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back