How well do these cars hang with the LSX powered vehicles?

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, seriously? A stock 3v on street tires and you only pulled a 14.1? That sucks. I had a bone stock 2007 on the track in Petersburg... no DR's, nothing done, car had 1,800 miles on it. I ran a 13.4 @ 102.

I wonder if something was wrong with your 3v, cuz that's damn close to a second slower than mine and many others I've seen. Shit, CAI and a tune and I pulled a 12.98 still on street tires and got down to a 12.7 on DR's.

This^

HankyGT

Make it three yards mf'r
Reaction score
Reading comprehension much?

Miss the part where it went 13.9 @ 101?

07s did get some small tweaks over the 05-06 cars to boot. Like I stated, no tuneup ie plugs/filters etc.

If you could launch it without wheelhopping on a better prepped track I'm sure there's a tenth or so left easily and some mph but not much. Not everyone on the Internet runs in the same d/a with the same prep or even run on calibrated equipment.

I simply gave results of three cars on the same track in similar conditions.

Go be butthurt. Not going to bother me any. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt I guess lol.

3vstang

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, seriously? A stock 3v on street tires and you only pulled a 14.1? That sucks. I had a bone stock 2007 on the track in Petersburg... no DR's, nothing done, car had 1,800 miles on it. I ran a 13.4 @ 102.

I wonder if something was wrong with your 3v, cuz that's damn close to a second slower than mine and many others I've seen. Shit, CAI and a tune and I pulled a 12.98 still on street tires and got down to a 12.7 on DR's.

X2

Pulled a 12.9@107 with the same mods + 4.10s on the stock tires.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

07s did get some small tweaks over the 05-06 cars to boot. Like I stated, no tuneup ie plugs/filters etc.

If you could launch it without wheelhopping on a better prepped track I'm sure there's a tenth or so left easily and some mph but not much. Not everyone on the Internet runs in the same d/a with the same prep or even run on calibrated equipment.

Go be butthurt. Not going to bother me any. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt I guess lol.

Dude, are you crazy? I have no problems with reading comprehension and I am not butt-hurt... you said 14.1 bone stock. You had a slow ass car. Why would that bother me? LOL I just asked if there was something wrong with it.

You can cry foul on 05-06 vs. 07+ all you want. Even the 13.9 you posted is a half second slower compared to many other 3v's I've seen... including 05's and 06's. I had an 06 CS, but never tracked it when it was stock. I didn't feel much difference between the two. Gears and suspension made subtle improvements on the CS down low for sure.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you posted real-world info with a true comparison. It's just that the info doesn't jive with what we normally see with our 3v's.

HankyGT

Make it three yards mf'r
Reaction score
There's no stock 3v in the world that will run 13.4 stock locally. Most run low 14s. Like I said that track is literally uphill and our d/a is usually insanely high. Just running in Virginia Alone likely drops the d/a by 1000ft from me. If you don't mind what track do you run at? Ill find the d/a's of each on average in like June.

I know generally you will gain mph hooking until you finally start to lose mph as you drop et; but the traps aren't too far off as these kinda are out of steam on the big end.

Honestly at the track the times make sense. All cars weight about the same; lt1 is 275 hp, 3v is 300 and an ls car is an honest 330-340.

Like I said tho, your density altitude and prep are 90% of the fight. The track that's actually level with a slightly better d/a was worth .3 and 2 mph. That's a lot if you actually race.

I guess I can get what you're saying in that you think I had a slug, but you cannot compare unless you correct both times (yours and mine) on a level track that hopefully has correct timing equipment. Used to have a designated 'fast lane' at the one track if you wanted bragging rights. Theyve since corrected it. Wasn't much but tenths add up etc.

I figured most of the anger was towards the 3v performing as it did vs the other 2. It's just how it did on that track stacked up.

HankyGT

Make it three yards mf'r
Reaction score
I guess for a stretched example the 3v ran slightly faster than my old 4v on street tires at that track (low 14-14.0) at around 97 iirc.

When we actually got a d/a of @100ft my cobra went 13.55 @ 105.1 on a radial at the better track. So I could see a 3v that came out hard run similar. Prolly a 13.2 @ 107-8 or better on that same tire.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I'll chime in for shit's and giggles as I've piloted a stock 3v, a stock lt1, and a stock ls1 down the same track in nearly identical conditions.

I owned the lt1, I owned the 3v, the ls was my brother's 99z28. Both f cars had over 150k miles, no tuneups. The 3v had 24k miles with no tuneup. All manual trans. All getting around a 2.1-2.0 60'. 3:42 gears in f cars, 3:55s in stang.

Track is known for being about .2 off the ET and 2mph. Quaker City Raceway, Salem OH. Rises about 30' from the 1/8th to 1320.

Aaaanyhow, all on stock tires. (Have slips if need be)

Lt1: 14.4 @ 96.5 3v: 14.1 @ 99.36 LS1: 13.4 @ 104.3

On another local (read level) track Thompson, I ran 13.9 @ 101 in the 3v. Was hard to launch on pirellis and the wheelhop wouldnt even allow a burnout.

I JUST bought a 2002 WS6 after selling my since blown 3v... so if it doesn't get heads/cam over winter I'll give you a time on that too. That said it runs noticably stronger than a stock 3v.

The 3v is a very easy car to bring out at the track as they really weight transfer well and the chassis is about 10x better/stiffer. Had to lower it to be rid of the hop. On lower rolls the 3v takes pretty good advantage of the VCT (cam timing) that lets it feel bigger than it really is. I could see a set of gears taking full advantage of this. They hang with the fbody longer than most want to admit. The ls1 does run away albeit slowly.

I don't care what anyone says, the 10 bolts are junk in an fbody. If you could successfully launch a stock ws6 at 5000-5500 on a slick stock it would go high 12s @ 106-108 imo. Maybe more with a freak with good air. But that's not a repeat performance. Pushed far too many onto trailers at the track lol. The t56 is also WORLDS better than the 3650; however the stock GM clutch hydraulics blow.

The mustang is a much better overall car for function, package, and quality. However I think they are huge in stature and designed like a brick. I couldn't get over the slabby bulkiness nor the fixed roof. Planned on a c5 but the ws.6 fell into my lap and I always wanted one. I like cars that are sleek and feel more lowslung. That said a stock f car feels a bit bulky with the dash and clunky doors.

I never did boltons but went straight to a blower. Manifolds/cats/non intercooled. Would get pulled by brothers cam/243 (untouched) headed ls car ALL day quite hard depending on temp. With longtubes/x/ intercooler he was too scared to run as mine pulled much harder than his (442/403 vs 398/382). Was in about $5k+ in easy to do that though. My ls1 will be making similar if not more on motor for under $2k.

I guess one feels like an older car, more like my sn95s and that's something I LIKE. It's crappier but its a little raw and it feels right once you adjust to the old crappiness of 90s-early 2000 style cars. My 06 was too removed for me. Like a fast bmw or some kind of sedan. Just different strokes I guess.

There's my unbiased review. Easier to go fast in the f car; but save for that rearend. T tops and 6spd ftw. The s197 is the better chassis/drag car but you need to put more under the hood when the going gets tough. 8.8 with factory 31 spline and carbon clutches is a Godsend though. I think the cars are +/- $2500 by the time you setup each with with the ls1 having a little more window bottom end wise.

Oh and miatas are Gods gift to the unbiased enthusiast. Absolutely love mine and sold my s197 in my sig over it as I would rather drive the stock miata.

btw this is sexy:

3-4_zps9eaa6833.jpg

Good unbiased review man- plus, you're more local to me then I thought. I ran at QCR a few times last year too. That track IS fucking slow. I literally went 12.2 there (in poor D/A, admittedly) and with no changes at ALL besides better D/A went 11.7 at Pittsburgh Raceway Park about a month later.

Maybe I'll catch you out at QCR next summer- once you get your plans done on that 'Bird we might be a good matchup.

HankyGT

Make it three yards mf'r
Reaction score
Hey man, I think I see you on steel city. I'm RSbeast over there.

QCR is a joke but its local. Prep has gotten a little better with the new owner; still slow though lol. Really hard to explain that to people online as you can see. I thought I actually did well vs some local cars. I can usually shoe anything down the track faster than my buddies....between the tires/suspension and prep that's all she had at QCR.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score

I didn't know there was a river in Egypt called denial ... I guess you learn something new everyday.

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
My local (30 miles away) track is chocked full of 14 second 3v's. Trapping 94-95 mph to boot. As for the running out of steam up top part...my car behaves more like an ls1, and pulls hard in 3rd...hard enough to go from behind, to pulling past another 3v car with my same mods, save for his o/r x pipe. Hell, it backhalved 26mph with just a jlt intake, and a sct strategy tune, trapping 106-107 on stock pirelli's and 3.55's.

HankyGT

Make it three yards mf'r
Reaction score
My local (30 miles away) track is chocked full of 14 second 3v's. Trapping 94-95 mph to boot. As for the running out of steam up top part...my car behaves more like an ls1, and pulls hard in 3rd...hard enough to go from behind, to pulling past another 3v car with my same mods, save for his o/r x pipe. Hell, it backhalved 26mph with just a jlt intake, and a sct strategy tune, trapping 106-107 on stock pirelli's and 3.55's.

I can see that. The tunes really wake up the 3v. Used to wrench on quite a few where I worked. Well all things s197 and then some. (Dynatek/dynaformance)

Was the senior designer there. Made a few rags..ended up dumping the stangs and building efi setups. I still see all marketing etc for the new company Eight Stack.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
DA makes a big difference for sure. I race at MIR and Mason Dixon Dragway 90% of the time with my time pretty squarely split between the two. I made my best numbers at Mason Dixon, but MIR is historically known for being a fast track on the eastern seaboard.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Hey man, I think I see you on steel city. I'm RSbeast over there.

QCR is a joke but its local. Prep has gotten a little better with the new owner; still slow though lol. Really hard to explain that to people online as you can see. I thought I actually did well vs some local cars. I can usually shoe anything down the track faster than my buddies....between the tires/suspension and prep that's all she had at QCR.

I'm SAC81 on Steel City- not a bad site, pretty slow though. QCR is a fun track to run at, but that uphill back half just KILLS any chance of a decent ET there.

Comparing times on national forums like this tough enough anyway. Our fastest local track (Pittsburgh Raceway Park) is still a good bit slower then the 'fast' national tracks (Cecil County, MIR, etc).

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I heard the LS7 will be going into 2014 Camaros as a Z28 option ... No offense but I think a lot of 3V owners won't be able to keep up as well as some 5.0 owners.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Well, I heard the LS7 will be going into 2014 Camaros as a Z28 option ... No offense but I think a lot of 3V owners won't be able to keep up as well as some 5.0 owners.

Well, then its time to add more power to the 3v.

Sure a 5.0 will do it at a lower boost but 1000 hp is 1000 hp and then it goes way beyond the motor as to how fast the car goes. Hp is HP.

EDIT: Not to say an LS7 is weak sause by no means.

Last edited:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score

From what source? As far as I know, there is no Z28, it's just GM fanboys hopes and dreams for a car to match up to the Boss since the ZL1 has a hard time with it :roflmao:

Even if they drop a LS7 in a Gen 5, it's still the same heavy, ugly, and overrated platform. So nothing a mild bolt-on 5.0 can't handle.

Back