I need help!!!

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
First off, my car is not a daily. I want to buy the best i can get for around $1,500. I've talked to several differant people and everyone shoots what the other person said down. I will be doing lots of autocross stuff this year with a few sessions at ECR. I first talked to Mike White at Whiteside Customs and he recommended BC Coilovers and said they had a lot of success with them on Scott Nussers 2013 sema car. After reading some of Sam Strano's reviews, and after talking to Jason at Hypermotive, I decided i wanted some Koni Yellows. So then i talked Vorshlag and they talked as if the Koni's were garbage and the only non-coilover setup they would use is the Bilsteins set up they have(http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=559)
of course everyone else i talk to says I need Koni yellows.

I just want to handle and not bounce around like a pogo stick. as for springs, I'd probably go with sportlines or h&r supersports. I love the flat low look of a car and i don't want too much wheel gap when i put 295/35/18 rivals on.

This is for my 2014 5.0 Brembo M6.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Strano usually says the Bilsteins are good, but you don't have the adjustability, which is why he prefers the Koni Yellows for that price range. However, Vorshlag has gone through many setups in their cars. I would get Vorshlag's Bilstein setup if they offered better springs. All the springs they offer people end up complaining about them after a good length of time. Strano's Koni kit, from what I've seen, seems to be the more acceptable one for non-coilovers. I do remember a thread where they went back and forth between which shocks were better. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
vorshlag will put differant springs together for you. at worst case, i could just buy the struts and camber plates, and buy my own springs else where. At this point, i'm tired of researching. My last set of coilovers on my 09 were garbage. I want around a 2" drop with the back end leveled, and i want to run in either STU this year, or the new CAM class.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe a Bilstein PSS9 coilover setup??? I don't how much that would run but it may be worth going and talking to Terry about.

I will agree with skipping the BC's.

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to getting another coilover setup, but i'm just limited on funds. I want to get a whiteline watts link, uca, lca's, lca relocation brackets, and front and rear swaybars put in all at the same time.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to getting another coilover setup, but i'm just limited on funds. I want to get a whiteline watts link, uca, lca's, lca relocation brackets, and front and rear swaybars put in all at the same time.

Jeebus. That's a big job. Hope you have a spare 5k sitting around for that, the wheels, and those Rivals!

Actually, just the shocks, camber plates, wheels, and tires are probably 5k...remind me to never total my receipts.

It seems like you are trying to build my car (minus the Watt's)- if I'm around sometime in Dallas you're more than welcome to have a ride/test drive and see how you like the setup.

Last edited:

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
I am trying to copy lol. I want the watts link too though. You already gave me a couple runs in your car at TMS autox day...

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
i may wait on the wheels and tires for another month though. I want to get all the suspension stuff done before the first scca event in march. I know they aren't the best, but i do already have my 18x10.25's with 275/40/18 nitto nt05's.

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
I'm wanting the whiteline watts and f/r sway bars. I want to upgrade everything at once though. I could care less about adding any power to the car for a while. I just want to out handle any mustang in the area that isn't red and has a big wing and vorshlag stickers on it lol. I know i won't get that without a set of $3k plus coilovers, but i want as close as i can get.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
For $1600 you can get Ground Control coilovers that come with Camber plates. Terry is great, and he can shit on Koni and Ground Control all he wants but in this area he is very full of shit in his analysis. I would avoid BC coilovers, every car I have driven using them has been awful.

On the low end I really can't recommend ground controls enough. They are not as good as a nice $3000 set of AST 4150 + hyperco springs or MCS or Moton dampers and Vorshlag plates, but every car I have been in and driven with them has been quite good.

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
for the record NoTicket, i talked to Jason @ vorshlag, and they are against the koni yellows since they are a twin tube setup unlike the bilsteins which are monotube. would that make the ground control coilovers twin tube or monotube? I really don't know much...

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
for the record NoTicket, i talked to Jason @ vorshlag, and they are against the koni yellows since they are a twin tube setup unlike the bilsteins which are monotube. would that make the ground control coilovers twin tube or monotube? I really don't know much...

I suspect the proper question isn't what's the absolute best, but rather, what setup gets you the best handling capability within your budget.

The Ground Control coilover kit gets you the dampers, springs, and camber/caster plates and costs $1600.

The Vorshlag MCS TT1 coilover setup (ASTs are no longer on their site) gets you just the dampers. You have to add springs and camber/caster plates to get an equivalent kit. The dampers alone are $2650. After adding the camber/caster plates, springs, and modified shock mounts ($20), you're looking at another $850, so that setup will set you back a total of $3400.

The question isn't whether the MCS coilovers are better than Ground Control's Konis. They almost certainly are. For the price difference, they'd better be! No, the question is whether or not the handling improvement from the MCS relative to the Konis exceeds the improvement you'd get by putting the $1800 difference into other suspension bits. I suspect the answer to that is easily "no".

If I'm not mistaken, Whiskey11 is running Ground Control coilovers. You should probably talk to him to get his opinion of that setup.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I run the BCs with custom spring rates and valveing from Raceworx out of Texas. No bounce, great feed back etc. In the spring I am going to have Vorshlage set the car up. If Jason recommends the Bilstiens go with them. If you want a good coil system that won't break the bank go with BCs. If you can afford the ASTs and Vorshlage CC plates that's the hot setup.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
For $1600 you can get Ground Control coilovers that come with Camber plates. Terry is great, and he can shit on Koni and Ground Control all he wants but in this area he is very full of shit in his analysis. I would avoid BC coilovers, every car I have driven using them has been awful.

On the low end I really can't recommend ground controls enough. They are not as good as a nice $3000 set of AST 4150 + hyperco springs or MCS or Moton dampers and Vorshlag plates, but every car I have been in and driven with them has been quite good.

Proabbly because the BCs you drove were streight out of the box and not set up. My BCs handle and feedback just as good if not better than a friends Ground Control coils on a P51 at Hallett. Now with that being said mine are custom valved and sprung

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
$1,500? Simple.

Steeda Ultralite springs
Koni Yellows
Maximum Motorsport Caster/camber plates
BMR Adjustable panhard bar
And Eibach sway bars

Done.

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
Vorshlag recommends the bilsteins because they are monotube, and the koni's or GC are twin tube. How much will this really affect my handling?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back