if you adjusted your pinion angle, come in!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Throw that bitch on youtube.
It worked for me, but I have an awesome computer.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good job Kelly, appreciate it. One question...you state to have the weight of the vehicle on the tires. Is there a difference if the weight of the vehicle is on jack stands with the rears under the axle and the fronts at the jacking points as long as the vehicle is level? Thx...

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Good job Kelly, appreciate it. One question...you state to have the weight of the vehicle on the tires. Is there a difference if the weight of the vehicle is on jack stands with the rears under the axle and the fronts at the jacking points as long as the vehicle is level? Thx...

Actually, yes.

The car will sit at a different height, when the weight is not on the tires.

For example, if you measure the distance from the center of the wheel/hub to the fender arch while the car is on jack stands, that gap will likely be almost/around 1" or so, more, than if the weight of the car is on the tires.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I asked. Short of being on a drive-on lift or ramps, I'm winging it.

I kind of winged it also, adjusted about .25 degree shy of what I wanted with the rear on stands, got pretty close to my desired reading once down on all fours

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Trying to set my pinion angle. (again). Shooting for 0 trying to get rid of a DS (i think) vibe.

This is my trans output flange.

This is my pinion flange.

At the risk of looking dumb, this is what I had it set at thinking it was -1*

I'm going to try again, setting the pinion flange to +1, giving me a -2 angle. Right?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
^ Your trans flange at -3...and pinion at +3 is a -6 degree pinion angle, assuming you were taking the measurements from the driver side?

It took 6 places to get from -3 to +3......so it's a 6 degree angle difference. REALLY BAD

To set the pinion angle, as we call it, to 0....then you match the trans output to the pinion flange (make them the same).

The first pic you posted, and the last pic.....that is a -1 degree pinion angle....and what I would run, personally.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Then I guess I totally misunderstood Dimoras post on the last page. I'm gonna set them both at -3 to see if it clears up my vibe.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Alright, found myself a nice app from Tremec that will measure your angles and calculate them for you, just so that you can double check. Its freaking awesome! Way more accurate than the other app I was using since it goes to the nearest .1.

You measure off the trans flange first, then the DS angle, then the pinion flange and it spits out the actual number for you. Necessary? Probably not. Great for peace of mind? Absolutely!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I had someone tell me about this app the other day.

Thank you for sharing, that is awesome!

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
How accurate you think that app is as far as angle finder goes? Maybe I am old school and like my $20 magnetic tool. I am pretty certain is accurate and I know how to use it without incurring any error due to the operator and positioning it

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I think it's pretty damn accurate. I used my magnetic finder and the needle is so big and position so awkward, it's tough to read right. I really took the time to look at it last night though and compare it to the first app I used and it looked dead on. I also compared the angle finder app vs the tremec app, and again, same angles. I was skeptical at first, but I measured the same angles 100 different ways to be sure I wasn't messing up my readings, and the apps were dead on each time.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Let us know if it took care of the vibrations. And thanks for the heads up on the app...just downloaded it.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
It didn't clear up my vibration at 80, but it sure did get rid of those clicking u joints!

I been fighting a vibration right above 75 mph and up. Came to conclusion is the throwout bearing flywheel or clutch.

The shop that changed the clutch did not do a good job and said the flywheel was good.

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a stock 2 piece shaft do you take your base measurement off the rear shaft instead of the trans flange or does pinion angle not matter too much with a 2 piece shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
If you have a stock 2 piece shaft do you take your base measurement off the rear shaft instead of the trans flange or does pinion angle not matter too much with a 2 piece shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it both ways. I don't think there is going to be much of a difference with the 2 piece. I think I read something recently that there is like 6* of movement with the stock shaft in any direction.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back