Increasing the Rev Limiter?

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score
So I just got this new BAMA tune and realized the rev limiter is the same as stock. If I were to increase my rev limiter to 7500 would that be to much for a 2011 5.0 with a JLT intake, Pypes Cat delete, and a 91 Octane Race tune? I plan on picking up a boss manifold as well, but the only reason I want to do this is because I raced a 2013 mustang 5.0 with unknown mods on the highway and he got me good top end, especially when it came to shifting gears, his gears were a lot longer.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Could be a pointless effort to raise it. Without knowing where the power falls off, shifting higher is not necessarily a good choice, you don't seem to have the mods to take advantage of a higher rev.

From what I can find I'd expect peak power is 66-6800 rpm, revving much past 7k is worthless IMO.

The other car could have had smaller rear end ratio, boss intake, cams... Things that made it work up,top.

Last edited:

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
For the boss intake to be worth anything you need to raise the rev limit. Not much use on the stock manifold. If you plan on this you'd be best advised to get billet oil pump gears. That 500 extra rpm is going to put enormous extra stress on the rotating assembly.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
In California it is against the law to delete the catalytic convertors and run the car on the street. In every state it is illegal and irresponsible to race top end on the highway. Now that you know, I'm certain you'll correct your behavior.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
technically isnt it illegal to remove cats across the country, just many states dont actually enforce it via emissions checking etc etc

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
In California it is against the law to delete the catalytic convertors and run the car on the street. In every state it is illegal and irresponsible to race top end on the highway. Now that you know, I'm certain you'll correct your behavior.

technically isnt it illegal to remove cats across the country, just many states dont actually enforce it via emissions checking etc etc

Nobody races in the States, they cross the border to Mexico for racing...and removing cats.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
So I just got this new BAMA tune and realized the rev limiter is the same as stock. If I were to increase my rev limiter to 7500 would that be to much for a 2011 5.0 with a JLT intake, Pypes Cat delete, and a 91 Octane Race tune?

Don't. You'll eventually blow it without the supporting mods. Ask me how I know. :p

Get the Boss Intake, Oil Pump gears, and probably some heads/valves along with it if you plan on revving a lot past 7k.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I can assure you that you're peak power is at 6,9XXRPMs at most, I'd be surprised if it didn't drop off after that. So no, raising it would be pointless with your current setup.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL @ the info in this thread. When i was on the stock manifold the car loved shifting at 7200. Now im on the cj setup and other supporting mods the car loves 8k shifts. Revving the engine isnt going to kill the oil pump gears. Hitting the rev limiter no matter what its set at will.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Sure, man, taking a simple precaution replacing a factory part that, if it goes, will totally trash the motor and that's totally supported by evidence...why do that?

The effect of internal stresses on an engine are roughly the square of the rpm. That little bit of a few hundred rpm massively increases the load on the internal components.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know plenty of cars running stock opg's shifting at 7800 without any issues. Its not a necessary part, but it is good insurance. Harmonics break the opg's not rpm and not horsepower. There is a reason turbo cars live at higher hp numbers than superchargers. Turbos dont put stress on the snout of the crank and cause unwanted harmonics. You are welcome to believe what you want though...

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
What makes those "harmonics"? Engine parts moving around, thus rpm. You want to roll the dice with a 10k engine, be my guest, too. There's plenty of examples of these things fragging, even without a power adder.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Humor me if you will.

The Boss 302S & the Boss 302R's are both running the factory engine and oil pump gears from what I have been able to gather over the last 2 years or so and those cars are running upwards of 75-7700 RPM consistently during a race that lasts somewhere around 30+ minutes in their various series. Many of these engine will last them a couple of seasons since they pretty much nothing but factory Boss motors and as of yet, I haven't heard of engine failures due to oil pump gears.

Yes, while I agree that oil pump gears are a very important part of your motor and should be changed out when you have the need to, I wouldn't go swapping them out just because you are increasing your rev limiter. The "harmonics" has a lot to do with stress on the engine due to forced induction, but also 2 steps, bouncing off the rev limiter or even hole shots can cause it to happen because you are putting an excessive jerk than what the gears were designed for. They were designed for normal operations that Ford would put the engine through so when you add these excessive forces on the gears they can fracture and break.

Or you can tell me how RPM is going to cause the gears to fracture or shatter.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
James, aside from my clutch, my car shifted at 7500 fine, but it was faster shifting before 7k at the strip. I even went to dumb mode and trapped 113 in third when I had 3.31's. Not faster, even with skipping a shift.

blahdo_s197gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ended up just leaving it to the 7200rpm rev limiter from the factory. Thanks for all the information guys!

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Lot of misinformation in this thread. jewc75 is correct.

I have spun my car to 7,800 on the stock long block for years without a single issue. I tune many more cars with stock long blocks also without a single issue with 100+ passes. If RPM was the issue then we would see many more roadrunner engines with broken oil pump gears.

Factory limiter is not correct for best results with the stock intake manifold either.

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
Have run the shit out of my car over 7000. However, i have Boss Valve Spring, forged bottom end. Re- Balanced rotating assembly, block was deck plated and line bored. Over 500 rwhp at +7000 rpm. And makes 523@7700. Oil pump gear never went. And I agree wholeheartedly that it is harmonics that makes stuff come apart and those do increase with RPMs. However my rotating assembly run significantly smoother than stock. And at 7700 RPM on the dyno, you can put a cup of coffee filled to the brim on top of the manifold and not a drop wil spill. That is not an exageration.

Bottom line is oil pump gears are a good idea however at this point for me I'm not going to take out a stock part that is working to replace it with an after-market part of which I can't be sure. Especially if it's made by MMR.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back