Is a new 4.6 Crankshaft worth it?

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have my engine apart yet. It runs fine (no issues like low oil pressure or noise and has about 60,000 miles on it). The engine has a stock crankshaft and I believe that is plenty for the expected horsepower level. When I freshen up the engine, I will be putting in new rods, pistons, and rings. That assembly will need to be balanced and my local machine shop will charge about $350 to do it.
Let's say the stock crankshaft also needs to be machined instead of just polished. The charge for that is about $220.00. A new crankshaft from Tasca is $270. Is it worth it to keep the stock original crank to save $50? Is this one of things where the original crank is somehow better because it has been used for 60,000 miles without a failure and a new crankshaft is unproven and might still need machine work for some reason?
Thanks in advance.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Crank probably won't need anything. I'd save the money unless it proves it needs to be worked. And even then I would just have to OE crank worked just to minimize the down time.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
^^x2. And those machine shop prices seem a little steep to me, you might want to shop around, if you have any other local options, or if not that explains why they're high..

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Machining costs roughly half of what I see here, looks good! Since you'll be boring out the engine, doing a line hone, etc, the machine shop can take care of everything at once so buying a 2nd crank probably wouldn't save a lot of time. My machine shop is busy rebuilding natural gas gensets so enthusiasts play 3rd fiddle.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Unless your old engine spun a rod it shouldn't need to be cut.
A polish or even nothing at all would be correct depending on what you find.

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your opinions. As for cost, this shop is not the cheapest or most expensive in the area. They are the shop with experience machining 4.6's.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back