Is my tuner locked to the shop that sold it to me?

91mini

Reaction score
I purchased my SCT X4 tuner for my 2005 mustang when I let a local speed shop install long tube headers, CAI, and high flow cats. That was about 4-5 years ago. I have not messed with the SCT since then.

I just installed 4:10 gears and went to adjust for them in my tuner like I've seen online and I can't seem to get into the tuner unless I am doing something wrong. I will post what my tuner is showing and maybe someone can help me. Let me know if you need more info to help me with this. I have FRPP hot rod cams, 62mm throttle bottle and intake to install next and plan to get LITO to send me a custom tune but now I'm scared to jump into it if it's locked????

Device info:
Preload Tuning: Disabled
Custom Tuning: Supported
Restrictions: Preloaded Tune Support Disabled (*)
Married Status: Married
Total flashes: 3

When I go to Program Vehicle screen Preload tune at the top is grayed out, Preload Tune Support Disabled is highlighted blue, and Available Custom Tune(s) is grayed out. I cannot get to the grayed out selections.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tune u r using is locked from allowing u to adjust certain parameters. The device is not locked. Not all tuning shops open up,the settings for adjustment

91mini

Reaction score
Is there no way around it?

If I get a LITO tune I can still overwrote or add the file and upload it to the car?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there no way around it?

If I get a LITO tune I can still overwrote or add the file and upload it to the car?
Yes u can

u can upload a new file to the SCT and load to the car

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The only issue I see is Lito or anyone else to give you a tune has to start from scratch. And you lose your custom tune.

Just to be clear, you select: program vehicle, then custom tune, then the tune you loaded 4-5 years ago, and the "tune options" is greyed out?

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I kind of had the same problem. I had purchased a used but unmarried SCT X4 with customs tunes for a F-150. I could not load a canned tune on my Mustang unless I rebooted the tuner. That I did and upgraded the software from their site. The custom F-150 tunes were now completely gone. In the end, I decided not to use it as I was really happy with the factory tune. I sold it for twice what I paid for it as a unmarried SCT 4X for a Mustang GT.

91mini

Reaction score
The only issue I see is Lito or anyone else to give you a tune has to start from scratch. And you lose your custom tune.

Just to be clear, you select: program vehicle, then custom tune, then the tune you loaded 4-5 years ago, and the "tune options" is greyed out?

I select Program Vehicle and under available custom tune(s) I have 3 tunes to select from. 91/93 race, 93 race, and inspection tune.

91mini

Reaction score
Also, I have no idea about the tuning part of these cars obviously. Is LITO good with walking you through how to get him the information and work with a newb?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Can’t you go back to the shop that did the custom tunes and get them to give you access to simple adjustments? Gear ratio, tire size, idle rpm are common adjustments left available to the customer.

91mini

Reaction score
Can’t you go back to the shop that did the custom tunes and get them to give you access to simple adjustments? Gear ratio, tire size, idle rpm are common adjustments left available to the customer.

I plan to try but I'm in a different city now and it's a drive. I'm debating calling them first and making the trip if they are willing to do that which I think they should. It's about a 3 hour drive so not terrible

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They can email the tune.
U download it, install on device. Load to car

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I select Program Vehicle and under available custom tune(s) I have 3 tunes to select from. 91/93 race, 93 race, and inspection tune.
You have to select one of those tunes, and the next screen would have the options to adjust (if not locked). If locked, just cancel/exit and contact shop. They can email you an update. They will need the x4's serial bumber.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The X4 people told me I can simply purchase a custom Mustang tune for $125 to add to my F-150 custom tunes and I would not have to reboot the tuner to get the Mustang Canned Tunes which in their words were, really not all that good.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The X4 people told me I can simply purchase a custom Mustang tune for $125 to add to my F-150 custom tunes and I would not have to reboot the tuner to get the Mustang Canned Tunes which in their words were, really not all that good.

I had issues with canned tunes with SCT and Diablo.
Both gave me CEL with "processor performannce" code.
Zero issues with custom tunes created with SCT software.

I think you meant "reset" tuner. And yes, a reset will erase any custom tunes.

I have not heard of using an x4 on two vehicles. I did not think the x4 is capable to do that.

Laga

Reaction score
The tunes are also locked to the device that loaded them. I had my original SCT4 stolen from my garage. When I got a replacement, the existing Lito tunes on my pc would not load. I had to email Lito with new device info, for new copies to work with new device.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The tunes are also locked to the device that loaded them. I had my original SCT4 stolen from my garage. When I got a replacement, the existing Lito tunes on my pc would not load. I had to email Lito with new device info, for new copies to work with new device.
Yup, tuner shop needs the x4 serial number to email tunes.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I had issues with canned tunes with SCT and Diablo.
Both gave me CEL with "processor performannce" code.
Zero issues with custom tunes created with SCT software.

I think you meant "reset" tuner. And yes, a reset will erase any custom tunes.

I have not heard of using an x4 on two vehicles. I did not think the x4 is capable to do that.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
every SCT is "married" to the vehicle it's used on

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The guy who sold me the unmarried tuner had the custom F-150 tunes. The x4 people would rather sell me a custom tune then for me to use the canned tune. It would be possible to use it for both the Mustang and F-150 custom tunes on the same device but it must be unmarried each time to use it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The guy who sold me the unmarried tuner had the custom F-150 tunes. The x4 people would rather sell me a custom tune then for me to use the canned tune. It would be possible to use it for both the Mustang and F-150 custom tunes on the same device but it must be unmarried each time to use it.
To unmarry, it restores to stock and removes custom tune from vehicle.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back