Is there a govenor on a 2008 V6 Stang?

J

jmmckay

I had to work today, a saturday damb it! Was on my way home on I-20 headed east from Jackson (Mississippi) to Brandon. Decided to open it up and see what my baby would/could do.. I got up to 115 mph and it just quit at that! Pedal to the metal, 115 max. Is there a govenor or something on the V6 stang that prevents going over 115 mph? If so, will a custom tune take care of this?
Thanks
:idea:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Yes to both questions...

There may be a national limit that the vehicle makers have to live by, as the 115 cap seem universal in all US sold vehicles. We as owners on the other hand, have a bit more leadway.

A custom tune can fix this for you. My GT cut out at 115 before I flashed it. My programer gives me the option to turn it on or off.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock on a GT is 147mph, give or take 1-2mph

Im not sure on a V6

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the V6 its 116 cause that is the limit on the stock drive shaft. There are two solutions to this, one is to get a Xcal2/tune, the second if you plan to go to this speed on a regular basis is to get a drive shaft in combination with a tune.

Last edited:

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the V6 its 116 cause that is the limit on the stock drive shaft. There are two solutions to this, one is to get a Xcal2/tune, the second if you plan to go to this speed on a regular basis is to get a drive shaft in combination with a tune.

I don't think it is the driveshaft. I think it is based on the rating of the tires that come with the car. The 147 number would match with Z rated tires like came on my GT.

Standard tires are much lower so they cut it off quicker.

However everyone is correct about a custom tune taking care of it. I had my old Dodge truck tuned and it is set at 255mph! :clap: Like it would even come close to doing that!!

Hope this helps.

Mike

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
I don't think it is the driveshaft. I think it is based on the rating of the tires that come with the car. The 147 number would match with Z rated tires like came on my GT.

Standard tires are much lower so they cut it off quicker.

However everyone is correct about a custom tune taking care of it. I had my old Dodge truck tuned and it is set at 255mph! :clap: Like it would even come close to doing that!!

Hope this helps.

Mike
Its both. Its the tires and DS. The DS on the 4.0 is crap and have been several failures of them. After tuning the car I wouldn't go that fast with that driveshaft.

Black Tooth Grin

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hell, I thought it was because they had all the aerodynamics of a cinder block.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hell, I thought it was because they had all the aerodynamics of a cinder block.

WOW what a vision...
mustangzn9.jpg

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Several things for fellow v6'ers:
- The stock tune has a speed limiter, it may be 115 or somewhere around there.
- the driveshaft is only 'factory rated' to around 117.
- the stock tires are not very good at higher speeds. If your front end feels a little 'light' at 95mph or higher, its the stock 16" tires.

You can get around each of these with mods of course.
Upgrading the tires will improve the stability at higher speeds.
Replacing the driveshaft with an aluminum one (along with a driveshaft loop for aadditional safety) will get you a much higher speed rating.
And finally, getting a custom tune, with higher (or no) upper speed limit will take care of the top-end speed limiting...plus a custom tune will make it a little more fun to drive!

(BTW, I'll keep my eyes open for ya the next time I drive through that stretch of I20!)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back