is this your problem? I can’t shift the transmission at high rpm.

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
The clutch itself will not cause a shifting problem. Improper release adjustment, faulty operation , or a transmission problem are probable causes. To test the clutch system, put the car in first gear with the clutch disengaged and bring the engine up to the rpm where the problem occurs. If the clutch wants to pull or move the car, more release travel is required for the fork or slave cylinder. If there is no tendency to move the car, the problem is in the transmission.

source: http://www.ramclutches.com/Tech/perf_tech.htm

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
interesting

id liek to add do it on flat ground haha

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to try this tomorrow. I'm convinced my problem is the synchros, but I guess we'll find out when the tranny gets pulled.

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
update - when you do the test if the slave cylinder is worn you will feel the clutch pedal push on your foot. very noticable.

yep - mine is wore out with 36k miles

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tried it today. Revved up to 6500rpm with the clutch disengaged and the car sat still. Clutch pedal still feels like the first day I drove it. More to point towards the tranny in my case.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
update - when you do the test if the slave cylinder is worn you will feel the clutch pedal push on your foot. very noticable.

When I had my transmission replaced I also replaced the clutch with a Spec 2+. The factory clutch still had some good meat on it after 35.9k miles and over ~75 passes on the strip.

Keep in mind my tranny was throughly inspected before they decided to replace it and the synchros and the forks where good (they even replaced the synchros). They just couldn't figure out why it was hard to shift under load.

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
put the car in first gear with the clutch disengaged and bring the engine up to the rpm where the problem occurs

ummmm. Reasonable test. But I am not a big fan of 6500rpm's with no load on the motor. :sick:

M

Mustangretribution

I have a more reasonable test of full dis engagement, i posted it in another forum

Real simple, if it grinds going into reverse when the clutch is completely to the ground, your not getting full dis engagement.

The theory behind it being that reverse has no synchros unlike your forward gears which needs them to match the speed of the gears.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
It would help if ford put the right trans fluid in it from the start !

Call Tremac up theyll tell you you should be using GM SYNCROMESH TRANNY FLUID (SYNTHETIC)!!

but of corse ford just uses the basic off the shelf dextron/mercon type trans fluid, because they dont want to have it relabled under ford and pay fee's for it..!!

I put the Gm syncromesh in my 2007 gt with 800 miles on it and it a night and day difference shifting at all rpm !!

Thanks Tremac !!

Royb

forum member
Reaction score

Call Tremac up theyll tell you you should be using GM SYNCROMESH TRANNY FLUID (SYNTHETIC)!!

but of corse ford just uses the basic off the shelf dextron/mercon type trans fluid, because they dont want to have it relabled under ford and pay fee's for it..!!

I put the Gm syncromesh in my 2007 gt with 800 miles on it and it a night and day difference shifting at all rpm !!

Thanks Tremac !!

syncromesh is not full synthetic.

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
When I had my transmission replaced I also replaced the clutch with a Spec 2+. The factory clutch still had some good meat on it after 35.9k miles and over ~75 passes on the strip.

Keep in mind my tranny was throughly inspected before they decided to replace it and the synchros and the forks where good (they even replaced the synchros). They just couldn't figure out why it was hard to shift under load.

Most car dealer shops don't take time to figure out whats really wrong.

I have two Spec 2+ clutches they wore uneven on the pressure plate side :naughty: those are the last spec products i'll ever buy.

M

Mustangretribution

Thanks Tremac !!

funny, on this forum there is a guy that says he spoke to tremec and they told him to use gm synchromesh, which I find hard to believe but ok, on another thread I got a guy telling me that he spoke to tremec and they said not to use synthetic to use regular atf.

so I have come to the conclusion that there are only three reasons for this

1) one of you is full of bs, which I dont see why either one of you would lie about talking to tremec

2) Tremec has no idea what to use in their transmissions

3) one of you spoke to someone that has no idea what they are talking about, since the guy on the other forum said he spoke to a engineer, and you say you just called makes me wonder.

Solution
I think I will stick to using what I put in there, if only I could remember if it was mobil 1 or redline :sick:

BACNBLAK

Old and Wise(guy)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I've gone through two stock slave cylinders in less than 10k miles. This time around, I put in a McLeod adjustable tob along with a Spec 3+ clutch. So far so good. BTW, D&D told me to put Dextron in my T56, but I put in Redline synthetic seems to be just fine.

SVTsupremecy

forum member
Reaction score
My car has minor bolt-ons and Ive been having tranny problems as well. I think the slave cylinder has been changed once...3000 miles later and my cars doing the same thing. 1-2 shift feels really notchy and sometimes grinds and pops out of gear, and its nearly impossible to hit a 1-2 shift with any quickness. This whole fluid issue makes me want to call tremec myself. Ill see what ford says they fixed when i get it back tomorrow.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most car dealer shops don't take time to figure out whats really wrong.

When it comes to replacing a tranny under warranty they will. The technician is a good friend of mine and I'm sure if it was up to him he would had the tranny replaced right away but he had to follow a process. They had the car for two weeks.

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
..... he had to follow a process. They had the car for two weeks.

idiots (not your friend but the "process" ). I know all about dealer process....with the trans on the S197 it's a joke for it to take 2 weeks. here it is:
1. road test car
2. determine problem
3. if not resolved call TTC representative for inspection

two days at best is all it takes.

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
I've gone through two stock slave cylinders in less than 10k miles. This time around, I put in a McLeod adjustable tob along with a Spec 3+ clutch. So far so good. BTW, D&D told me to put Dextron in my T56, but I put in Redline synthetic seems to be just fine.

I'm going to put a stock slave cylinder back on with a less aggressive clutch (not Spec) & pressure plate. did your spec clutch's wear even? I'm back with RP Syncromax.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
idiots (not your friend but the "process" ). I know all about dealer process....with the trans on the S197 it's a joke for it to take 2 weeks. here it is:
1. road test car
2. determine problem
3. if not resolved call TTC representative for inspection

two days at best is all it takes.

Yeah I know. this is what they did.
1 - road test
2- determined there was a problem
3- Replace the synchros per Ford process
4- road test
5- determined there was still a problem
6- recomended tranny swap
7- submitt for approval
8- approved (took one day)
9- ordered tranny (none in local stock)
10- tranny arrived 3 days later
11- swap trannys
12 - road test
13 - problem solved

The good thing was that I had a rental car paid by them the whole time.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back