Just installed springs + shocks

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, what a difference. I went with Eibach prokit springs and Koni yellows and I couldn't be happier. I haven't played with the damping at all, but going to try and get it dialed in to my liking this weekend at the last "local" autox for the year.

After doing about 6 or so events on the stock suspension, I'm really excited to see how this thing does this weekend, plus the weather looks to be awesome. Mid to high 60's and sunny, couldn't ask for anything better.

John2012GT

Reaction score
Stephen, I assume you know that the Eibach Pro-Kit springs will bump you out of FS. The Koni's are great, I just put them on mine (my only mod thus far).

Where are you racing this weekend? I assume it is something other than BRR-SCCA or VMSC.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Wow, what a difference. I went with Eibach prokit springs and Koni yellows and I couldn't be happier. I haven't played with the damping at all, but going to try and get it dialed in to my liking this weekend at the last "local" autox for the year.

Are the Pro Kit springs the progressive or linear rate ones?

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Stephen, I assume you know that the Eibach Pro-Kit springs will bump you out of FS. The Koni's are great, I just put them on mine (my only mod thus far).

Where are you racing this weekend? I assume it is something other than BRR-SCCA or VMSC.

Hey John, I spoke to you at one of the VMSC events at RIR right?

But yea, I'm going to stick it out in STX for now I debated keeping the stock springs on but I can't convince myself to drop the cash for 19" hoosiers and I have had no luck finding a used set.

This weekend's event is down in Danville, VA with Tarheel Sports car club. It's a bit of a drive for me, even from Blacksburg (about 2.5 hours).

Are the Pro Kit springs the progressive or linear rate ones?

The prokit springs are progressive. I was going to get the linear steeda sports, but found a good deal on these.

4.6fan

forum member
Reaction score
I've had both, the pro kit look a little better and the steeda sports ride a little better. Good choice on the color haven't seen that on the road yet.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The prokit springs are progressive. I was going to get the linear steeda sports, but found a good deal on these.

I realize the horses have left the barn. But in my experience it’s a lot easier to drive linear springs hard. Especially in fast transitions.

Justin_H

Blingy Convertible Driver
Reaction score
The difference is amazing when you put a decent shock on these cars. Doubling the spring rate doesn't hurt either. I used to run with BRR SCCA a long time ago. Do they still get together for dinner after the events?

Justin

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
I've had both, the pro kit look a little better and the steeda sports ride a little better. Good choice on the color haven't seen that on the road yet.

Thanks, I really love the color. The pearl in it really makes it pop.

Here's a quick picture after I washed it today.
image-2-2.jpg

I realize the horses have left the barn. But in my experience it’s a lot easier to drive linear springs hard. Especially in fast transitions.

I'm not too worried about it right now, especially since the limiting factor in my case will most likely be grip being limited to 265 tires in STX. But it's not a huge deal to swap them out if I feel the need to down the road.

The difference is amazing when you put a decent shock on these cars. Doubling the spring rate doesn't hurt either. I used to run with BRR SCCA a long time ago. Do they still get together for dinner after the events?

Justin

It really is. Just driving around town and attacking some on/off ramps, the car feels so much more planted a lot more predictable at the limit. But they've done a dinner once this past year, not much anymore though that I know of.

Last edited:

John2012GT

Reaction score
Yeah, it was at RIR. I was hoping for a rematch. I think I'm a little faster since you beat me. I think the Koni's will help as well.

Good luck tomorrow. Please let me know how it goes. I have a commitment tomorrow evening and there is no way that I could make it back to Charlottesville in time.

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Car feels A TON better than before. Way easier to drive, even though at first I was overdriving it thinking that a little bit of camber would turn the stock pirellis into A6's haha. I was totally getting my butt kicked by all the BRZ's and the RX8 in STX though, which kind of makes STX seem like a very very hard battle in this car.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Car feels A TON better than before. Way easier to drive, even though at first I was overdriving it thinking that a little bit of camber would turn the stock pirellis into A6's haha. I was totally getting my butt kicked by all the BRZ's and the RX8 in STX though, which kind of makes STX seem like a very very hard battle in this car.

If you are on OEM Pirelli's, no wonder you are getting smoked by RX8's and BRZ's. You really need to figure that out! :p A set of 265 wide RS3's would level that playing field a little. STX isn't exactly a known Mustang strong suit and especially not one for Mustangs with 420 HP and 390lb*ft of torque!!! I can get away with it a little as my car is probably a little lighter and has a lot less power. Even I am skeptical that this car can ever beat a prepped BRZ or other prepped STX cars. I almost got raw timed by a bone stock BRZ in a parking lot (I PAXed 7th overall of some 80 people but most folks weren't running any serious tires except the top 10 or so). He was less than half a second off my time and he was on those horrible stock Prius tires.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Always find it amusing when we get to talking about progressive springs and such. There is a difference between dynamically progressive and just "progressive". I'm not going to get into details all over here, beyond saying that a lot of what gets said about various things is bunk, and blown out of proportion. You can have progressively wound springs that are in fact dynamically linear (depends on how you wind them, what the rates are, and when they change/what load is required to change to the higher rate. And then there are some progressive springs that truly are gaining rate progressively as they compress. Buyer beware. :)

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Always find it amusing when we get to talking about progressive springs and such. There is a difference between dynamically progressive and just "progressive". I'm not going to get into details all over here, beyond saying that a lot of what gets said about various things is bunk, and blown out of proportion. You can have progressively wound springs that are in fact dynamically linear (depends on how you wind them, what the rates are, and when they change/what load is required to change to the higher rate. And then there are some progressive springs that truly are gaining rate progressively as they compress. Buyer beware. :)

I forgot where/if you said it, I'm pretty sure it was you though. But it was something along the lines of a progressive springs pretty much handles/behaves the same as a linear on these cars. I'm not sure if it was toward a specific brand or model of spring or not though

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
a progressive springs pretty much handles/behaves the same as a linear on these cars.

In my experience (K-springs) NOT EVEN CLOSE!

The K- springs absolutely CRASH through the first part of the travel which is not great for feel and it makes for some pretty high damper shaft speeds which can be “detrimental”. Then at the bottom of the stroke they get into the higher rate part of the spring and slow down very quickly. There is nothing linear in the take up of the K-springs and that makes it hard to load the contact patches progressive and smoothly.

And on the rebound side of things they tend to get goofy too. If you break the contact patch and the spring(s) unwind the damper has a hard time dealing with how non linear they are. That makes for some unpredictable moments when things go pear shaped. For example I found when the rear broke traction it wanted to unwind real unpredictably which tended to cause snap oversteer.

I’ve put the K-springs in a tester and ran them a few times. They are wound very, very progressive.

When compared to something like the Steeda Sports I personally (and this is my opinion) think the K-springs are borderline dangerous.:dunce:

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Not, that's not what happens... The reason Eibach is not my personal first choice is not because the transition to the higher rate happens in dynamic travel (it doesn't), they just don't have enough working travel combined with the rate and you can whack the bumpstops a bit more abruptly. Funny enough good shocks really help this both on the way down damping things when you hit the stop, but also on the way up so you don't get a huge return of energy too fast. FR3 kit shocks aren't that good... neither are lots of other things, and a Koni or a D-spec that can handle them can be set incorrect and cause a mess too. But Koni's have a lot more workable range than the double acting/single adjustable D-specs.

I disagree completely they are dangerous. You can see plenty of footage of me driving the Shelby GT on those very springs and in it you'll see a very well behaved car. Yes, I think other springs can do some other things a bit better.. but dangerous is not how I'd characterize the Eibach/k-springs. If you were to look at a set on a car, sitting on it's wheels you'll see the "progressive" end is dead... just a spacer at ride height. I

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
I've been lazy and finally got around to uploading my fastest run from that weekend. Didn't drive my best, looking at the videos, I was way off rhythm in the first slalom lol oh well here it is

Back