Key in ignition -> nothing

Proc

Reaction score
Put the key in this v6 2009 automatic and got nothing: no door chime when the door was open, neither the dash nor radio power up when in accessory mode, and the car doesn’t start. It’s like the car isn’t even seeing the key in the tumbler although the tumbler turns.
The car has power: 12v at the battery, windows come down slightly when you open the door and go back up slightly when you close it, interior lights come on, etc. Car is in park, steering wheel is not locked. I even tried moving the shifter to neutral and back again, no change.
I tested all the fuses in the interior fuse box, and reset the BCM. Car had been working great, moved it into the driveway last night with no problems. This morning, surprise!
Is there perhaps something at the tumbler or maybe a fuse elsewhere I need to check?

Last edited:

Proc

Reaction score
Check the Smart Junction Box inside the passenger kick panel for water intrusion.

Admittedly that was the first place I looked. These cars are known for their water leakage, so I addressed that shortly after getting the car. Still, I checked and all is good and dry.

Btw, I hate that junction box with a passion. Terrible design.

Proc

Reaction score
FOUND IT!

Fuse 68 in the fuse from the box under the hood had failed in such a way that a visual inspection wasn’t enough. I used a volt meter on every fuse and that one wasn’t working. I swapped it and everything worked.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
How old is the battery? When you say "12V at the battery" what is it reading (meter) b/c that's dead...should be 12.6V.

VistaBlue09

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and the fix was replacing the ignition switch in the steering column.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back