Leave it or Paint it...

07 Boss

Reaction score
So my door panels finally started to peel. I'm surprised they have gone this long in the heat of the desert. Anyways I got these abs panels instead of gluing pleather on there. I was wondering if I should leave them grey or paint them Satin Silver with a clear coat. And if I paint them should I just paint over the textured finish or should I fill and sand it smooth? I like the two tone look but the grey is just a bit darker than the exterior paint. I've have previously color matched a couple other interior items. I think it looks ok but just a bit off. Mayby I'm just not used to it.

So do I try and match these pieces or just leave them?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I can't add much to this but Boss is your car a 'Vert?! Or did you repurpose the convertible window switch

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Ford has never been good about color matching interior panels anyway, so nobody will notice the difference. Look in any F150 and see how there will be 4-5 different colors and shades on different surfaces, none really matching. That's why I went with the black interior on my last truck.

If you're handy with a rattle can then go ahead and match them. Probably leave the texture as trying to make it smooth will just highlight any imperfections.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I can't add much to this but Boss is your car a 'Vert?! Or did you repurpose the convertible window switch

Haha, When I got the car many moons ago I drove it for a couple of months before I asked myself what this switch went to. I dropped by the dealership and asked and they said it was for my rear windows. I said, "What rear windows?" We both kinda chuckled when we realized I had a factory custom switch panel in my coupe. Anyways, yes I repurposed the up function into my trunk release.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I think the contrast looks nice. My 08GT has contrasting panels.
rf seat.jpg
If you paint the new panels, it would be really easy to make a mess.

pbbishop

Reaction score
I painted a new door panel, arm rest and a replacement A/C vent for my 99 Cobra using a kit from Late Model Restoration. It was a two part kit, a can of prep, which softened the plastic allowing the paint to get adhesion and a can of paint. The Medium Parchment paint was a perfect match. Here is a link to their paint for the bezel around the radio which might match. If that doesn't look good I'd get in touch with them and see if they have what you need.
https://lmr.com/item/MET-FL353K/2010-2014-mustang-radio-console-shift-bezel-interior-paint

07 Boss

Reaction score
Just bought a can of base and clear from automotivetouchup.com and have some adhesion promotor on my shelf. I've used them before when I painted the trim on my center stack and the center console along with some exterior body parts. I'll post up when I paint and install these.

07 Boss

Reaction score
So I decided I'm going to color match my abs door panels and just received the paint. But looking forward I think it will be kinda blank without something in the middle of the panel so I'm thinking of putting a little emblem or sticker on there. I got some extra swag laying around. What do you guys think about either of these?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back