Lets discuss members selling their Mustangs guys ...

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
What blows my mind is the rapid pace at which the factory engines are increasing power. ( as well as quality and dependability) That's great for us gear heads that can only afford to buy used.

I recently sold my 1995 Gt 5spd for $ 4k.
I paid 4,500 for it in 2008 and had very little more than that in the car.

My 2005 GT I got for 4,500 and I recently got a nice 2011 Mustang premium for $ 6,600.

It's getting easier for gear heads to find deals on 300 plus horsepower Mustangs.

Not so good for the sellers...
Right. The 6600$ 2011 is a bargain for sure! But yeah look at what it took to get 400ish whp from an old 5.0, and now it's (nothin but a thing) on these new ones, it's just the heavyweight cars they're in now-a-days..

Phil1098

Reaction score
What blows my mind is the rapid pace at which the factory engines are increasing power. ( as well as quality and dependability)

Not me, when I left the car business in 2002 I was told by some of the GM insiders I knew that they had 600HP engines that were production level (not just hand built one offs) and they would not just blow their wad in a year, but dole out the power in small amounts based on what the competition does. It won't go on forever, not like were going to have 1500HP street cars, but a lot of this is planned out.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Right. The 6600$ 2011 is a bargain for sure! But yeah look at what it took to get 400ish whp from an old 5.0, and now it's (nothin but a thing) on these new ones, it's just the heavyweight cars they're in now-a-days..

I agree it is sooo much easier to get h.p. out of a stock engine.
Guys with the 400hp Fox cars from 25 years ago had to rely on boost or a big squeeze shot.
We get that on motor easily now.

I am more into newer technology stuff, so long as I can get it cheap...lol
That is why I am drawn to the S197.

That Coyote engine has been a big winner for Ford, although I would hate to see the cost to rebuild one.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Not me, when I left the car business in 2002 I was told by some of the GM insiders I knew that they had 600HP engines that were production level (not just hand built one offs) and they would not just blow their wad in a year, but dole out the power in small amounts based on what the competition does. It won't go on forever, not like were going to have 1500HP street cars, but a lot of this is planned out.

You are dead on.
The Coyote had a 10 year engineering service life when it came out in 2011.

The factories only increase the h.p. every year just enough for bragging rights against the competition.

You are correct....the gains will slow way down at some point.

I worked in the computer peripherals business so I learned how all that planning stuff works....gotta pace yourself

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Guys with the 400hp Fox cars from 25 years ago had to rely on boost or a big squeeze shot.

That Coyote engine has been a big winner for Ford, although I would hate to see the cost to rebuild one.
Just the price of a new S550 crate motor would keep me from actually building, or having one built lol! Less than 7K$, and able to exceed 800whp............Sold, if I ever decide to upgrade to a power level like that! A shop I know of has a 2017 that put out over 900whp on the stock motor with boost of course, but still STOCK motor, to me that's incredible!! But in time, that bastard will be outdated as well

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I sold my car and bought something that wont depreciate as quickly. Sadly, I got my ass kicked on the sale but the car has a new home.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
If you're sick of the Bullitt right now and want a Hellcat I'd do what others have said and try and find storage. I bet you won't get anything over $25K selling it.

I put my GT/CS into storage last December, pulled liability and tags, kept comprehensive. I drive the BMW every day and will bring out the Mustang next registration cycle. I found a relatively cheap covered storage unit and without liability and tags, it's pretty cheap to keep the car.

I wouldn't dump the car and lose, lets be real, $130K probably. Keep it, save up and get the Hellcat.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
A shop I know of has a 2017 that put out over 900whp on the stock motor with boost of course, but still STOCK motor, to me that's incredible!!
On an unloaded dyno. Waaaaaaaaay easier on the motor than real life.

The Cobra Jet guys are making about 900hp but they're firing motors in there like a belt fed machine gun. I can't remember what the number is off of the top of my head, but it's stupid low. I think it's 25 passes/motor. Maybe lower.

IMO these stupid high numbers that dyno qeen cars are putting out aren't real. Yeah, on the dyno they made that. But if they can only make that for 20 passes, does it really make that much power without breaking? Only if you're rich.

Just the other day I saw a video of a S550 with a stock block put down 1500hp on a dyno. How long do you think that block last before it tears the cylinders out in real life? I'm betting not long.

skaarlaj

Reaction score

The Cobra Jet guys are making about 900hp but they're firing motors in there like a belt fed machine gun. I can't remember what the number is off of the top of my head, but it's stupid low. I think it's 25 passes/motor. Maybe lower.

IMO these stupid high numbers that dyno qeen cars are putting out aren't real. Yeah, on the dyno they made that. But if they can only make that for 20 passes, does it really make that much power without breaking? Only if you're rich.

Just the other day I saw a video of a S550 with a stock block put down 1500hp on a dyno. How long do you think that block last before it tears the cylinders out in real life? I'm betting not long.
I don't know, but If I ever upgrade so an S550 motor and make a safe 700+whp I'd be a happy camper, hell I'm happy right now the way my car sits. Long story short, Coyotes are an amazing motor imo, but will be dated in no time regardless

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agree with the others. Unless you find an idiot with more money than common sense you'll struggle to sell a heavily built street car like yours for more than a few grand over KBB.

I'd be blown away if you got anywhere near 30k for it. I think the quick sale number for your car is like $24,000 because the banks aren't going to be able to finance the full number of it so you're going to need someone with some cash, desire, and who's not afraid of the potential problems with buying someone's pre-built race car.

There's a reason I still have almost all the stock parts for my Shelby in boxes in my garage. Believe that when the time comes to sell it I will list it for a high price just to see if I can find an idiot. If it doesn't sell then I'm stripping it and turning it back to stock and then selling it and selling the parts separate.

I've sold several modded vehicles for whatever I could get for them, it just sort of an (inevitable fact). Just count the money you believe you're losing towards the fun you've had building, and driving that fine car! Otherwise you'll be stressing on how to get every dime possible for possibly a matter of months, and what's that worth?

Exactly. I'm not the type to spend thousands on lavish vacations because it's like spending money on fireworks. Poof and it's gone! With modding my Mustang, I enjoyed it every time I drove it for years unlike with a vacation where thousands are gone in a week! Luckily my wife doesn't care about expensive vacations either. We are perfectly happy with a 3 or 4 day trip to the beach.

If I buy a Mustang I would like for it to be as stock as possible. I just bought a 192K mile 2011 Premium Mustang and there was not one aftermarket part on it.

When I see a modded Mustang the first thought thru my head is it probably has been dogged.

When I see a modded one for sale the first thought going thru my head is what is going bad with it and why is the seller wanting to sell it ? Does he/she know the engine and/or trans is going bad ?

The market is saturated right now with Mustang GTs.

Prices on the 3valves are dropping and now with the 2018's coming out, I expect the 11-14's to take a dip as well. Not as much as 3valves tho.

It's the natural progression...moving up the Mustang ladder.

On the other side, I know I will never get at least .50 cents on the dollar for my cars if I tried to sell.
So that is why I currently have 12 vehicles...lol

The modded cars I've sold over the years have all been in very good mechanical shape, it's the technology that makes me take the hit and move on. For example, a person could get into a nice 3V mustang for pretty cheap I'm guessing, but how much would it cost to allow the 3V to keep up with a nicely modded bolt on Coyote?

I absolutely loved my Old 03 Lightning, but for it to run the same times I was getting out of my Current Coyote Mustang before adding boost to the Mustang, I needed to pulley the living crap out of it, and have at least a 125 shot of nitrous on top of the boost, so the next step was to upgrade the motor to handle quite alot more boost along with a bigger blower, and now we're talking 10K minimum, on a truck that might bring 11 on a very good day, and now that the Coyote's boosted, the Lightning still probably wouldn't stand a chance after spending the 10K.

Terry, if lack of space is you main reason for wanting to sell the Bullitt, I'd either buy extra storage/garage space or there's always the option of renting as there's always people looking to rent out their extra garage space for extra cash..

Anyhow, just a thought you may want to consider :shrug:

-Rocky

What blows my mind is the rapid pace at which the factory engines are increasing power. ( as well as quality and dependability) That's great for us gear heads that can only afford to buy used.

I recently sold my 1995 Gt 5spd for $ 4k.
I paid 4,500 for it in 2008 and had very little more than that in the car.

My 2005 GT I got for 4,500 and I recently got a nice 2011 Mustang premium for $ 6,600.

It's getting easier for gear heads to find deals on 300 plus horsepower Mustangs.

Not so good for the sellers...

You are dead on.
The Coyote had a 10 year engineering service life when it came out in 2011.

The factories only increase the h.p. every year just enough for bragging rights against the competition.

You are correct....the gains will slow way down at some point.

I worked in the computer peripherals business so I learned how all that planning stuff works....gotta pace yourself

Just the price of a new S550 crate motor would keep me from actually building, or having one built lol! Less than 7K$, and able to exceed 800whp............Sold, if I ever decide to upgrade to a power level like that! A shop I know of has a 2017 that put out over 900whp on the stock motor with boost of course, but still STOCK motor, to me that's incredible!! But in time, that bastard will be outdated as well

I sold my car and bought something that wont depreciate as quickly. Sadly, I got my ass kicked on the sale but the car has a new home.

If you're sick of the Bullitt right now and want a Hellcat I'd do what others have said and try and find storage. I bet you won't get anything over $25K selling it.

I put my GT/CS into storage last December, pulled liability and tags, kept comprehensive. I drive the BMW every day and will bring out the Mustang next registration cycle. I found a relatively cheap covered storage unit and without liability and tags, it's pretty cheap to keep the car.

I wouldn't dump the car and lose, lets be real, $130K probably. Keep it, save up and get the Hellcat.

I don't know, but If I ever upgrade so an S550 motor and make a safe 700+whp I'd be a happy camper, hell I'm happy right now the way my car sits. Long story short, Coyotes are an amazing motor imo, but will be dated in no time regardless

Guys,

I'm not ignoring any of you that have posted.
I'm once again not getting even one E-Mail notice from S197.
Very strange as I changed from AOL on this site to AT&T and now once again No-E-Mail notices
icon8.gif

I did just read every post you guys have done.
Thanks for them ..........
If I'm going to go with the new Widebody Challenger Hellcat the Bullitt Mustang has to be sold.
I simply am not in the financial position to pay for it without the cash from the Bullitt.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just returned from visiting "Gateway Classic Cars" of Nashville, TN.

Up-Date,

Cathy and I decided to drive over and check-out Gateway Classic Cars in person.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/locations?location=NSH

It is a HUGE Bldg.
Met the Sales Manager and also the fellow that you actually work with to Consign your vehicle Jason.
There was like maybe 100 Plus vehicles in the bldg.
It is a very-very Big place.

I spoke with both guys as well as Cathy talking with Cody the Sales Mgr.
I spent more time with Jason that actually does the New Consignment Cars.

So this might be the Company I go with we shall see.

Jason is going to drive over to DBR Performance and see the Bullitt Mustang in person.
Then he will contact me afterwards.

Below are the pictures I took just to give an idea of what was in that Giant Bldg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TYwxh2hUg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGewfvY1XYY

Terry

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Look what I just went and saw earlier this morning guys ...

Hello,

Well my order came in for Rascal's (Maine Coon Cat) food so went by and picked the case of it up.

While out I thought this would be an excellent time to go by Darrell Waltrip Pre-Owned and check out the 2015 Dodge Hellcat they just got last week.
It is a 6-speed manual transmission car.
No Sun-Roof so looks to me like a base unit.
I went by to look at it's Bright Red Color and to see the interior.
I also wanted to just see what the shifter actually looked like in the Center-Console.
Any way I do like the car that's for sure.
But {Truthfully} guys it to me looks like any other Base-Model-Challenger if you were not a Die-Hard Car-Guy.
I'm not saying that's necessarily a Bad thing.
But, it's not what I'm looking for as I'm that guy that a Muscle-Car needs to get one's immediate Attention as well as the Public's.

So, if I do go with a Hellcat it's gotta be the New "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat as it surely is an instant eye catcher IMO.
tango_face_wink.png

Now guys take a look at the soon to be Released "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat.
This to me is a Muscle-Car !!!

Dodge-Challenger_SRT_Hellcat_Widebody-2018-1280-07.jpg

Dodge-Challenger_SRT_Hellcat_Widebody-2018-1280-0a.jpg

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have my backing, that's a bad mother right there.
Greg,

Well as it stands nothing has taken place but that is what has my attention.
I like the cars that remind me of the Muscle-Car-Days of old.
And the "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat does that.
icon10.gif

We shall see ..............

Terry

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FWIW I sold my car yesterday.

I asked a very reasonable price and sold it for my reasonable but firm price.

What really kills me are the Pawn Stars fans who would offer less and who obviously didn't recognize a good deal, then would get upset that I would say "good day" and good luck and not talk to them further.

Good luck with selling the car, I feel lucky that I was able to sell to someone who appreciated what had been done and who realized that paying market value for a forged/nicely modified motor, TR6060 trans, etc. was an awesome deal.

BTW I only asked book price for a stock car and it still took quite awhile to sell. I did keep the advertising to a select few enthusiast sites. I didn't want to deal with the general craigs list public.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Bruce, glad that you got market value for your car and from someone who's a fellow car enthusiast that appreciates everything you've done in regards to your builds.. Hopefully the new owner will enjoy the Mustang for many great years to come just as you did.. In the meantime, congrats :waytogo:

-Rocky

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
What really kills me are the Pawn Stars fans who would offer less and who obviously didn't recognize a good deal, then would get upset that I would say "good day" and good luck and not talk to them further.

I get this all the time. I've had people call me all sorts of names when I won't come down on the price of something I have advertised as FIRM. Why would you get mad when someone stays firm on a price? I just don't get it. There is plenty of other stuff in this world to get upset about like spoons spraying you in the face when you're trying to wash them. Why create more situations?:goofy_batman:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
All I know is that I'm not giving my car away, but I do understand the reality of what i've spent and what it's worth retail, and it doesn't make me mad or anything. I know if it does sell I won't get what I've got in it. Nowhere even close. I think most of the issue is pride. Knowing that someone is driving your car off with a grin realizing they got an absolute steal of a deal. Witnessing that moment will absolutely suck. Hell.....part of me says just keep it, but the other part says move on. Part of me wants it, the other part is tired of maintaining and cleaning two hot rods. This is all a pretty tough decision. Luckily I have till October until my Demon comes in to make a firm decision.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I guess that's it for Bruce, and here I didn't even get my first 4.6 build done quite yet.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back