Looking at Borla Ataks and M-5230-GTB Bullitts

Ron

Reaction score
Hello all,

My car came with Flowmaster Force II mufflers. I'd like to go with a different muffler due to these having a drone. And I'd like to change the exhaust note to a deeper tone.

Anyone have experience how Borla Ataks and the Ford M-5230-GTB Bullitt sound compared to the Flowmasters? I've been watching videos, however it is hard to judge.

Thanks for any info.

Ron

Reaction score
I looked at the exhaust today. My Flowmasters are the American Thunders. The car has cats and what I believe to be the factory H pipe.

Leaning toward the Bullitt mufflers. Anyone know how these compare to the Flowmasters?

Thanks!

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Get the FR500S. Zero drone and an awesome sound with the rest of the exhaust being factory.

46addict

Reaction score
If they are American Thunders they are likely to be the 40 series Delta Flows. Force IIs are 50 series. But it's been a while since I looked at their lineup so I may be off. If you plan to change any part of the exhaust later, most aftermarket axlebacks will be loud/droney. So I'd look at OE style axlebacks like the 5230-GTB and GTA, or whatever part number is for the GT500.

I believe the GT500 KRs came with those FR500s mufflers mentioned above. I can't speak from experience on their loudness.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have the FR500S and will never buy another axleback for this car. It’s been on for 50k miles and I couldn’t ask for anything better. Zero drone, sounds great at WOT, comfortable level for cruising. That’s a big deal to me since my son is in the back seat a lot. And all of those miles have been with either an O/R X pipe, or longtubes with an O/R X pipe. They are pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: Ron

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I have a set of the GTB mufflers sitting in my house. I got them to test out since ive been doing research on different mufflers and how they effect sound drone and other things. I never got a driving video but I put up a video of idle. Sounds pretty good. Its louder than the stocks for sure and the tips are really nice. I liked them. I'm just doing lots of different mufflers with the same longtube and midpipe set up. Currently running MBRP axelback. The GTB have zero drone with my offroad set up and cams and longtubes which says a lot cause thats a tough setup to have no drone.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that if you decide on the Borla ATAK muffler, they're designed to be drone free with only the factory exhaust in place. Once you remove the stock cats, they will also drone. That being said, if you intend on running an O/R setup or high-flow cat with long tube setup, I would follow the advice provided by the posters above with selecting the Ford Performance FR500S muffler as your top choice followed by Corsa, M-5230-GTB Bullit mufflers, and MBRP!

Last edited:

Ron

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the excellent info. Listening to videos, the FR500s sound good. I could be wrong but they have a deep tone at idle like the Flowmasters.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The FR500S mufflers most definitely have a very deep tone to them and IMO provide the best overall sound. In the end, I went with Borla as their mufflers are constructed from 304 grade SS and include their exclusive one million mile warranty otherwise, I would've gone with the FR500S instead!

Reactions: Ron

mustanger

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the FR500s is a great muffler if the rest of the exhaust is stock. No drone, and they have a nice deep sound. I tried them on my car which has long tubes, cams and catted x pipe and they were just a little too loud for my taste. I'm now running the 5230-GTAs which I believe are basically the same as the GTBs and sound great with the longtubes.

Ron

Reaction score
I was reading that Borla makes the FR500S mufflers. So which Borla(non ford racing) is the same? Or is it a different designed muffler for that specific kit.

mustanger

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Borla version is part number 11750.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I was reading that Borla makes the FR500S mufflers. So which Borla(non ford racing) is the same? Or is it a different designed muffler for that specific kit.

Whatever you read is totally 100% inaccurate. As a matter fact, I also thought they did as well until I decided to call Borla to find out from them directly. Needless to say, the senior tech support rep I spoke with confirmed that Borla does not construct any of their mufflers other than with 304 aircraft grade SS which also includes those they manufacture for Ford Performance Group and Steeda. Therefore Borla is NOT the manufacturer of the Ford Performance FR500S mufflers, being as they're constructed from 409 grade SS rather than from 304 grade SS. That being said, don't always believe everything you read and if whenever in doubt, contact the manufacturer directly!

Ron

Reaction score
Whatever you read is totally 100% inaccurate. As a matter fact, I also thought they did as well until I decided to call Borla to find out from them directly. Needless to say, the senior tech support rep I spoke with confirmed that Borla does not construct any of their mufflers other than with 304 aircraft grade SS which also includes those they manufacture for Ford Performance Group and Steeda. Therefore Borla is NOT the manufacturer of the Ford Performance FR500S mufflers, being as they're constructed from 409 grade SS rather than from 304 grade SS. That being said, don't always believe everything you read and if whenever in doubt, contact the manufacturer directly!

Excellent. Thanks for the information!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
My guess is either Roush or Magnaflow might be the manufacturer for the Ford Performance FR500S mufflers, but that's just a guess on my part. At any rate, I would contact Roush and Magnaflow directly and find out from them just to make certain :shrug:

Last edited:

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I read a lot before pulling the trigger and from everything I got, Ford and Borla designed the actual muffler together, but do not manufactur anything together. If you look at the FR500S and Borla Stingers, the canisters are very similar, but the outlets are different. The stingers sort of have a bend and the FR500S are a straight outlet. The tips are very different as well. I’ve heard a lot of mufflers in person and nothing sounds like the FR500, which works for me. Seems about 65% of the community around me goes straight for Borla and I like to go against the grain.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Also if you look at the inlet itself is different than any axelback you look at. The fr500s has the only design like that. Any bend in the exhaust can change the tone. The can on the fr500s I believe is slightly larger in diameter but shorter length and has a resonated tip along with the GTB's. Which is very nice touch. I've become an exhaust nut playing with mine and designing quite a few different types for the 3v and I'm fabbing up one of my straight through designs. Cutting and bending the metal. Little different than your standard straight through muffler like the stingers.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like the Borla version is part number 11750.

Borla part number 11750 is the S-type muffler which is still in production. Borla also used to manufacture them for Ford Racing as part number M-5230-5GT a.k.a the Ford Racing Stinger muffler.

I read a lot before pulling the trigger and from everything I got, Ford and Borla designed the actual muffler together, but do not manufactur anything together. If you look at the FR500S and Borla Stingers, the canisters are very similar, but the outlets are different. The stingers sort of have a bend and the FR500S are a straight outlet. The tips are very different as well. I’ve heard a lot of mufflers in person and nothing sounds like the FR500, which works for me. Seems about 65% of the community around me goes straight for Borla and I like to go against the grain.

Actually what you read is partially accurate. However, Borla is the manufacturer and designer of the Ford Performance 2011-14 Mustang GT/Boss Touring Muffler, part number M-5230-MGTCA - 2011-2012 Mustang Shelby GT500 Sport Muffler, part number M-5230-MSVTLA - 2011-14 Mustang V6 Touring Muffler, part number M-5230-MV6CA - 2011-14 Mustang V6 Sport Muffler, part number M-5230-MV6LA - 2011-14 Mustang GT/Boss Sport Muffler, part number M-5230-MGTLA - 2005-09 Mustang GT/Shelby GT500 Touring Muffler, part number M-5230-SVT1 - 2005-09 Mustang GT/Shelby GT500 Stinger Muffler, part number M-5230-5GT and all current 2015-18 Mustang exhaust systems including the 2015-17 Mustang GT 5.0L sport muffler, part number M-5230-M8SC and 2015-17 Mustang GT 5.0L Touring Muffler, part number M-5230-M8TC in which all current kits have the Ford Racing by Borla logo stamped on the muffler bodies. All part numbers posted are constructed from 304 grade SS. And Btw: it's the Ford Racing Stingers, part number M-5230-5GT and Borla S-type muffler, part number 11750 that are similar and nearly one in the same!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back