A look at BMR's current S197 Tubular A-Arm Offering

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Do your Arms have threads in the Ball Joint holes to allow for easy replacement later?
They are press in, no threads.

Are you forced to use the BMR Ball Joints while using these arms?
While it is highly recommended, I have been told that people have used other ball joints. Our ball joint was designed specifically for our arms, but they are very similar to an OEM style ball joint.

Do you offer an extended Ball Joint option?
Absolutely.

Any plans on offering a Derlin bushing?
We do not have plans on offering a front delrin bushing at this time. If someone wishes for a delrin, then, they would be better off going with our adjustable version which has a delrin rear, and bearing (rod-end) front.

Thanks

Answered in Red Bold.

:beerchug2:

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
On the adjustable arms can you adjust them to make the shorter? Or can I get a set that are 1" shorter? I hate how for out the wheels/tires stick out with drag wheels.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Why not use tubing instead of gusseting to connect the tubes? Doesn't make sense to me. I understand you're looking to save weight but at the sacrifice of strength? And why would you put a sharp corner? Stress concentration....

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
On the adjustable arms can you adjust them to make the shorter? Or can I get a set that are 1" shorter? I hate how for out the wheels/tires stick out with drag wheels.

They will go about 1/2" shorter on each side. I have (1) set left that shortens 1"....but I think psfracer is going to scoop them up.

When we order on Friday are we sure to get the current version ?

Thanks

Andrew, you will get the current version. As a matter of fact, email me when you order....and I will ensure your shipment is the latest design.

Why not use tubing instead of gusseting to connect the tubes? Doesn't make sense to me.

Because it is not practical on the S197, as it is with other platforms. These style arms need as much "coverage" as possible. We manufacture A-Arms for 9 different platforms - and the S197 is unlike any of the others. As a matter of fact, that can be apparent by everyone "knowing" how they should be built, but, only 2 company's produce street-able aftermarket versions (compared to almost 20 for 79-04 Mustangs). Anyone can build a traditional style A-Arm, not many can successfully build an S197 A-Arm. :thumb2:

And why would you put a sharp corner? Stress concentration....

Correct, sharp(er) corner's allow for higher levels of stress concentration.

That said, the previous "sharp" corner....in the scheme of things, really isn't that sharp. We revised it, simply to throw out any future gusset concerns, but I have 100% faith in the "sharp" design, assuming the center gusset does it job.

Last edited:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Correct, sharp(er) corner's allow for higher levels of stress concentration.

That said, the previous "sharp" corner....in the scheme of things, really isn't that sharp. We revised it, simply to throw out any future gusset concerns, but I have 100% faith in the "sharp" design, assuming the center gusset does it job.

You have 100% faith yet you have part failure that clearly originated at the sharp corner...... Anyone that would purchase the old style is a fool.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
You have 100% faith yet you have part failure that clearly originated at the sharp corner...... Anyone that would purchase the old style is a fool.

We have zero confirmed failures that have "originated" from said corner.

Again, there have been zero. Not one single BMR A-Arm has failed due to said corner - the origination is always the older style center gusset.

There are over 1500 "sharp" cornered sets of BMR A-Arms on cars as I type this. 1500, not 15...or 150.

Please read and comprehend my posts before muddying up my thread(s), as you so commonly like to do.

I really am not interested in your response, so please save it.

Enjoy your day. :thumb2:

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
thanks kelly

cant wait to get it all red

CA_02131322470775-X3.jpg

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
That is going to be nice!

Andrew, tell me the part # you are going to order....and I will go put your name on the newest Red set available sir.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
IMG_1015.jpg

Then where did this crack originate? You even posted up the picture of the failure.... that's why I'm so confused here.

Granted, and I know this as well as anyone else, this failure was induced under extreme loading conditions that 99% of your customers will never put their parts through. I'm just saying you improved your design significantly by removing the sharp corner and introducing a round at that location. My question was why not just add more gusset material to that area to increase strength?

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
So does adjusting them in all the way affect suspension geometry or make it harder to align?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Then where did this crack originate? You even posted up the picture of the failure.... that's why I'm so confused here.

It was caused by the center gusset being compromised by the crack. I made a picture to help explain better. I apologize, I may have been able to express this more clearly. This specific incident was confirmed. The center gusset crack was present BEFORE the sharp corner crack - for a few months, actually. We have never seen an arm with a crack at that corner, and not a compromised gusset. I hope this clears things up.

Granted, and I know this as well as anyone else, this failure was induced under extreme loading conditions that 99% of your customers will never put their parts through. I'm just saying you improved your design significantly by removing the sharp corner and introducing a round at that location. My question was why not just add more gusset material to that area to increase strength?

Because it is much harder than it sounds. This is where people who see pictures, simply do not understand some of the reasons behind our design.

Example. Due to our latest design A-Arm....wheel clearance has been compromised now. At full lock, the odds of the wheel hitting the gusset are now much greater - especially when the customer has wide wheels up front...or inset wheels, etc.

Here is a picture of said example. This is a BMR/Griggs set-up road course car.....with the current version BMR A-Arms.

3azynuze.jpg

I assure you, we don't just throw stuff together and ship it. There are many reasons behind our decisions. No offense to anyone reading this - but, it is extremely easy for people to look at these occurrences on a computer, and feel that they know how to "do it" better. It is similar to when I watch my favorite football team playing on TV, and cuss Romo for being an idiot and not hitting an open receiver.

We are not perfect - no suspension company is. But instead of accepting our designs, we are ALWAYS looking for ways to improve them - regardless if the only issues are on race-cars, etc.

I meant what I stated previously - there is a very good reason that many companies have tried to make these pieces over the years, yet only 2 companies offer a version that is street-able (the other company, has a higher failure "rate" than ours, btw. Way higher..). They are a tough design to "perfect" based on the factory design and clearance issues.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
If you are referring to the center gusset - it just isn't practical to put several 1/2" to 3/4" tubes there. The 1/4" plate we use, is more than sufficient. That area also requires the highest amount of coverage....so it would end up being 6 tiny little tubes.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So does adjusting them in all the way affect suspension geometry or make it harder to align?

Adjusting them in will definitely affect alignment.

You will have to adjust toe settings, as you will have excessive toe-out.

If the car is lowered, you may "fix" your negative camber by shortening the arm.

If the car is stock ride-height, you may run into + camber - which I highly recommend not running (I recommend factory spec for camber on most combos)

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
And all I got was a keychain!
WTH!

LOL

And ironically, your Key Chain was given to BMR by Andrew Nagle, so he is getting a T! lol!

Andrew made those up and sent them into us as a gift. Great person, great customer, and he runs a great business making things like your awesome keychain.

Chris, you are an awesome customer too sir - I promise. Now get to bending more struts... oopss... :boobies:

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
And ironically, your Key Chain was given to BMR by Andrew Nagle, so he is getting a T! lol!

Andrew made those up and sent them into us as a gift. Great person, great customer, and he runs a great business making things like your awesome keychain.

Chris, you are an awesome customer too sir - I promise. Now get to bending more struts... oopss... :boobies:

No shit!
Andrew, you did a damn good job on those key chains!
Love mine!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
No shit!
Andrew, you did a damn good job on those key chains!
Love mine!

Just so you know, I had a customer call yesterday to order some A-Arms.....and said that he saw some guy online that wrecked his car, destroying a Koni - but the BMR arm didn't have an issue. He said he did the same, with the stock arm, but his stock arm is tweaked beyond alignment acceptance......so he got ours.

No, you are not getting commission.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back