A look at BMR's current S197 Tubular A-Arm Offering

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I get many questions about our current A-Arm offering for the S197 Mustang.

Earlier today, I decided to grab a single unit straight off the jig, and compare it to a piece that we built about 2-years ago. Of course, the Red one pictured from two years ago, does have newer revisions....was the only "built" piece here that I had to compare. I was able to grab the old style (thickness) gussets, to throw in with the pics.

We have had a few failures along the way with these pieces, and we have spent countless time, money, and effort to ensure they will provide the user with the best performing, and reliable welded tubular A-Arm on the market. Many have tried, and failed. We have continued to make improvements as needed, and are extremely proud and confident with our current design. For those reading, we ship over 300 sets of S197 each and every year, since 2006 - just to give you a rough idea of how many our out on the road, and tracks as I make this post.

To the pictures:

Uncoated Current Version on top, older style, Red, on bottom:

Old Style Gusset, note the drastic "sharp" change in direction/transition...as well as the hole on the right.
(We no longer have any holes in our gussets, btw)

The current style....note the smooth transition, and no holes of course.
(More on the "transition" later)

Current Gusset Thickness

Previous Gusset Thickness

Current "Center" Gusset Thickness

Previous "Center" Gusset Thickness

Another look at the outer gussets, comparing the transition differences

These are not "new" changes that we just now implemented. They are changes that occurred quite some time ago.

A few things that caused us issues with our gussets were having the "BMR" Logo cut out of the center gusset, as well as having that sharp transition on the outer gusset, as pictured above. We changed those gusset characteristics, as well as increased the thickness - just to be safe. As you upgrade one area, the weakest are fails next - it's a chain reaction, and we can tell you first hand all about it!

Since these were our problematic areas, I do not mind showing some pictures that I have, to inform you - and help understand the reason for the changes.

Here is a VERY old set. We only offered the Red Poly (instead of the Delrin) on the rear, for several months after offering these. These had, as you can see from the pictures, some serious use and weather applied to them. That is not an excuse, but they held up surprisingly well for 6 years.

This photo shows a crack started form the BMR Logo...weakened the center gusset, then causing unplanned force to the "transition" area I spoke about above. This is a perfect one shot says all, in terms of a chain reaction/domino effect.

Another shot, showing the start of the crack at the BMR...then the opposite side gusset cracking afterwards, at the "transition". This car proceeded to road course on these, for a few more races before receiving a newer version from us

This picture shows why we removed the holes/revised the outer gussets. This as an extreme-duty course car, used for R&D - and much testing.

So there you have it.

The majority of issues with BMR A-Arms have been due to improperly designed gussets, of which we changed/addressed years ago. Once a gusset is compromised...well, you can only imagine that the rest of the entire Arm is at great risk of encountering forces it was never intended to experience and withstand.

That said, we STILL run the older, really old version of our A-Arms on our personal/shop owned S197. We race it on the strip, and daily drive it....and drive it across the country. We do not believe they are "bad" - if so, we wouldnt be running them!

Here is proof, as our car was just on the lift. These are prototypes that we developed in mid 2010, to test fitment on the newer 2011+ cars. We modified a 2005-2009 Spec Arm, that we had laying around from about 2008/2009 ERA......and we are still rocking them, with confidence

*The majority of the small amount of failures that we have seen, were on road-course cars. We wanted to improve these items as time goes, in order to ensure that the road-course racers can have more confidence in our product. I've got some fairly serious course cars running these arms this year, and I await their feedback as time goes.

For customers looking to road-course on our arms, I highly suggest that they call me to discuss. There are several extremely important points that I like to make, as well as recommendations to prevent unwanted/planned damage or failure to the vehicle.

To end, here are photos of a customer who stopped his 3800lb GT500 with his passenger side tire/wheel, that was connected directly to our A-Arm....from over 80MPH. (Totaled the car after it flipped)

I'd say these BMR Pieces handled this impact better than a factory arm. Check out the BMR designed/specific Ball Joints too! People snap OEM Ball Joints in corners...I cannot imagine what would have happened to one in this scenario. Lastly, check out that bend on that Ball Joint cup! To bend that specific size steel in that fashion, is insane, to say the least.

The internet, unfortunately, shows the negative occurrences.

What it doesn't show you, is the many people who call me personally to thank me for making such a strong part. The Terry Nelsens, Miki Cohens who hit the wall at about 100MPH on the course, totaling everything except the BMR Components....the guy in the 3800lb Shelby that has our A-Arm prevent the car from smashing into a power pole at 80MPH, by having our A-Arm stop the car and flip it.....the Cobra Jet that does a 6ft wheelie, and proceeds to destroy the steering rack, struts, strut towers, spindles, but not the BMR K/Arms. The owners of body shops across the world, also don't post about the cars they repair that feature the BMR Front components when impact occurs. I will say, we have a lot of accounts now with body-shops...simply because they enjoy installing our parts, and believe they are better than OEM. (I wouldnt go that far - honestly...lol) It also won't show you, how serious we take the negatives....and do our best to ensure they do not occur again.

If you have any questions about our components, I am a phone call away.

Thanks for looking.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Kelly,
Great thread!
I can attest, kinda, to the strength of my BMR A-arms...not to the tune of 100mph impacts, though.
Not paying attention, drifted to the left, destroyed a brand new Koni adjustable and knocked the toe out.

BMR A-arm...check
BMR K-member...check
Koni...fail

I'm glad to say...I roll with BMR!

Feel free to post that strut pic I sent if you still have it.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I forgot about that!

Thanks for reminding me about that, and sharing in this thread Chris.

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
this is what i like to see aftermarket company's do, find their faults, improve them and show the results.

not just come out and say ''new and improved'' still only $19.95.
i'll be picking up a pair once the snow fly's and the stang is garage bound at dads house.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
this is what i like to see aftermarket company's do, find their faults, improve them and show the results.

i'll be picking up a pair once the snow fly's and the stang is garage bound at dads house.

Don't wait that long!
Best price of the year will be Black Friday.
Summit Racing had BMR at 20% off plus free shipping.
Hell, I think BMR had 20% off plus free shipping, too.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

Well, before I came along and took over the S197 show...we had a very hard time addressing these situations. We were doing everything we could to keep up with say to day operations, especially considering the rapid growth in our S197 Segment.

I try to keep all of my customers, both future and present, informed as we make progress. Keep in mind, these revisions were done quite some time ago....but I just felt it was good to inform everyone at this time.

Since we started building suspension for this car, we have basically revised almost every single part along the way. Some think "oh, well it should have been right the first time" - MUCH easier said than done, especially when you are the first to market almost every part, like we were with the S197.

We continue to do everything in our power to retain our position at the top, and improve upon it.....but it can be very challenging.

Call me if you have any questions, I would be happy to help.

cmrad

forum member
Reaction score
This thread is just another reason why i will be only running BMR suspension components and continue to buy their product. Great job Kelly!

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Dang...now I gotta crawl under the car and take a better look at mine..

IMG_20130315_192712_zpsaf7ef1a0.jpg

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
Kelly, I believe I have the newer version. I have to ask, what is the weight difference between these and stock ?

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Forum discount? I have your k member, pan hard and brace, upper control arm and mount, relocation brackets, ds loop etc.. and love it all.

I would be in for some a arms now

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
As requested by a few people, here is a direct comparison of the OEM 2011+ A-Arm, and the BMR-AA021 Direct Replacement 2011+ A-Arm.

If any of you have any other questions, suggestions, etc....let me know.

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would do it for no unsprung, working on anything under the car is easy and every nut and bolt everywhere are also easily accessible.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Yeah, the 10lbs is nice.....but the biggest difference is in the bushing change - it makes a worlds difference. Words cannot really describe it.

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
BMR guys are good people. When I purchased my koni/spring/panhard bar from them, they forgot to ship out the panhard bar with the konis and springs. Called them asking about it. They shipped it out overnight and got it the next day and said to call whenever I want to buy more suspension goodies and they'd give me a discount on my next purchase. That's just good customer service. They definitely have a customer for life.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Do your Arms have threads in the Ball Joint holes to allow for easy replacement later?

Are you forced to use the BMR Ball Joints while using these arms?

Do you offer an extended Ball Joint option?

Any plans on offering a Derlin bushing?

Thanks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back