lost on engine problem.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
Have an issue with my car. I was heading to work yesterday and about 10 miles down the road I went to turn in the gas station. I downshifted to second and noticed a huge cloud of smoke behind my car. I parked the car and instantly smelt oil burning so i shut it off. Popped the hood and went to pull the dipstick. When i broke the oring seal on the dipstick you could just hear the pressure pushing out of the tube for bout 3 seconds. I was about 7 degrees out if that matters for anything. So i parked it and got a trailer then picked it up today.

When i went to drive it on the trailer I noticed the smoke was not as bad. Got the car home and fired it up and the car wasnt smoking anymore. It still has oil pressure so has oil in it. I did notice it looked like my upr catch can breather started to push oil out of the filter so i am gona check that tomorow. I do know it didnt have oil in it 2 weeks ago.

The thing that is getting me is the smooth running with now noise and the way that it just quit smoking out the exhaust. Thinking of getting a leakdown/compression test this week. I did have one done late last year and it was good. All i have is a cold air, off road h-pipe, catback, and tune. It is a 2011 gt. Any thoughts are apprecitated. thank you.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the dreaded #8. Pull the plugs and inspect.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
number 8 was my first thought but cant figure out why it wasnt smoking when i unloaded it from the trailer. Is it possible for egr valves to freeze or stick shut. When I had the smoke rolling out the exhaust it was about 7 degrees out and the car had been sitting for 2 days in that weather. When I was pulling it off the trailer it was bout 30 degrees. Just figured if a ring was out it would be smoking all the time and not stop. Good timing for this with a baby coming in four to five weeks.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Murphy is all about timing :) Hope it is something cheap and easy to fix.

travelers

Reaction score
number 8 was my first thought but cant figure out why it wasnt smoking when i unloaded it from the trailer. Is it possible for egr valves to freeze or stick shut. When I had the smoke rolling out the exhaust it was about 7 degrees out and the car had been sitting for 2 days in that weather. When I was pulling it off the trailer it was bout 30 degrees. Just figured if a ring was out it would be smoking all the time and not stop. Good timing for this with a baby coming in four to five weeks.

That was my first thought. EGR valve

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
planning on checking the egr valves today. got a few inches of snow and is ball freezing cold right now. hope that is the problem if not then hello aluminator shortblock.

travelers

Reaction score
Actually if you look at the blue vent on the valve cover you will see it has a check valve in it.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
whoops, ment pcv valve. Took the passenger side off yesterday and it had a little oil and moisture mix in it. Kinda looks like it had a little frost too. Pretty sure the valve froze on me the other day. I fired the car up and the smoke seemed to get better, still has a little oil smell out the exhaust but i'm thinking it is just what is left burning off. I am going to drop it off for a compression test monday. Just hope that was my problem. Thanks for the replies.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
One more thing, is it possible to put a fitting like what is on the drivers side so it will never be able to stick. I have the upr catch can breather setup on it now so there is no way oil vapors will ever make it to the intake.

Slowb00st

Reaction score
One more thing, is it possible to put a fitting like what is on the drivers side so it will never be able to stick. I have the upr catch can breather setup on it now so there is no way oil vapors will ever make it to the intake.

Yes, you can buy a drivers side fitting and it fits the same. They are fairly cheap.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
You want a valved one. Even with a catch, stuff will get in places you don't want it without it. Get the GT500 heated one and cut off the heater extension. It's a more robust design. It is super cheap since they use the same valve on the Econoline van.

This is a one in a million thing. You must have been doing a lot of short trips to build up enough condensation to freeze in there.

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
well my catch can ended up having just enough water in it to freeze up and not allow it to vent properly. Went ahead and had a compression test done and 7 of the cylinders were in the 180 to 185 range but the number 1 cylinder was at 168. Blows a touch of smoke when I get on it hard but other than that it runs good. Hope it can hold together for a while. If not then hello build shortblock. by the way if you have a catchcan setup you might want to check them quite often for moisture buildup inside them.

foxxxtman

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a faulty design or do they have a warning or something that comes with it? I'd think if you could prove the catch can done that (which may be very tough) they may be partially liable? or is that a stretch? Sounds like some design improvements are needed.

HPE800

Reaction score
limetym,

I had the same exact issue with my setup. I have MMR building me a new longblock. Be easy on it and it shouldn't get worse quickly.

~ HPE800

limetym

forum member
Reaction score
hope she holds up for a while but if not then I will either get an aluminator or have blake holcolmb build me a short block. Hope you do ok with mmr. They screwed my cousin hardcore on a set of heads.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back