Lost power, Oil buildup, Please Help!!!

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
So in the process of taking the IM apart for a good cleaning cause the intake runners kept getting stuck, I ran into some problems. Ive got big chunks of gooey oil built up around the heads and under the intake manifold where the cmr plates are. What do you guys think ? It doesnt look to healthy to me. Im not the most car savy person on the planet but my car has been loosing alot of power could some of this oil build up be the problem???

Any input helps I got a three day weekend off work and would appreciate some input asap so I can get to the problem while I have time away from work. Would a good cleaning help at all? Any other ideas??? Thanks guys

059.jpg

066.jpg

064.jpg

061.jpg

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
How many miles on your car? do you beat on it? My butterfly valves looked brand new when I changed my CMCV's. Interesting.

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
more pics...

201.jpg

200.jpg

067.jpg

I change it regularly, about every 4,000 or so with the exception of maybe once or twice when I let it go to about 5,000 miles but I do do my maintenance to answer your question. I did use to beat on the car quite a bit when I had N2o but have left the power adder go at about 40,000 miles, Im at about 60,000 right now and like I mentioned I dont have the power adder anymore. I did also notice there was some fuel puddling up where the TB opening is I imagine it was there from my nitrous days because I did spray a wet shot and it for sure didnt look or smell like oil instead like fuel. This car is my daily driver. Would cleaning this mess up help at all? Any tips on how to clean this up? How would I get the chunky build up out of my heads? And what is an oil seperator? lol

TTT

Last edited by a moderator:

bullitt boy

Reaction score
do a search on the oil separator. There has been about 100 threads on it.It will keep all that crap going back into your intake. Cost about $100.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score
Oil seperator, get one. Anytime you push the motor to high rpms oil goes airborne and is sucked into the manifold and into the combustion chamber and it will also cause most of your problems you have listed in your other thread. Get that carbon cleaned up.

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
What do I do for now though? Ill will for sure look into the oil seperator but what about cleaning up the mess I have now? Im afraid to clean the heads and maybe getting some more debris stuck in there. I also pulled the plugs which I initially thought was the problem for the loss of power but after 60,000 miles and a ton of nitrous runs the sure dont look as bad as I thought they would. I mean theyre pretty bad but nowhere near on the level I thought they would be. Any thoughts? I have pics I can put up for some input.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What do I do for now though? Ill will for sure look into the oil seperator but what about cleaning up the mess I have now? Im afraid to clean the heads and maybe getting some more debris stuck in there. I also pulled the plugs which I initially thought was the problem for the loss of power but after 60,000 miles and a ton of nitrous runs the sure dont look as bad as I thought they would. I mean theyre pretty bad but nowhere near on the level I thought they would be. Any thoughts? I have pics I can put up for some input.

You are still on original plugs? New plugs for sure. I wouldn't worry too much about the heads, buildup will only increase your compression ratio. You could run seafoam through it, the directions are on the container.

To clean up your cmcv and manifold you could take them apart and scrub with simple green in a strong concentration. Use a stiff nylon brush. It's going to take elbow grease. Or you could buy a used manifold. Someone has one for $25 plus shipping in the classifieds.

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
You are still on original plugs? New plugs for sure. I wouldn't worry too much about the heads, buildup will only increase your compression ratio. You could run seafoam through it, the directions are on the container.

To clean up your cmcv and manifold you could take them apart and scrub with simple green in a strong concentration. Use a stiff nylon brush. It's going to take elbow grease. Or you could buy a used manifold. Someone has one for $25 plus shipping in the classifieds.

Plugs are out right now new ones are going in tomorrow morning. I was thinking about the seafoam but I wanted to really give a good cleaning in before I put everything back together. I guess I willl just have to put a little elbow grease into it. Maybe even throw th cmcv's in the dishwasher too :) Thanks for the help though guys give me some input on the plugs if you can too. Rich lean? Detonation?

GrabberblueS197

forum member
Reaction score
Also one last question, hopefully I can get an answer before tomorrow morning... What do you guys think I should gap the plugs at? I have very minor mods and no longer any power adder so not worried about spark blow out but I do wanna maxamize my spark and heard you can do so by slightly over gapping the recomended spec. Any thoughts? Also heard about side gapping but Im not too sure about that method....

1SonicGT

forum member
Reaction score
If you dont have any real major mods and no power adders/ meth I would run the stock gap. What plugs are you going with BTW?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back