Lowering question...

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
Hi all... well the time has come to put on a set of Roush springs and dampers - however I have no idea how long should be budgeted for this or what pit-falls should be watched out for. Any advice gratefully received

I've tried doing a search :asshat: but there is just soooo much talk on lowered stuff that it just gets crazy

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
If you're halfway handy with tools and have a decent set, figure half a day. The rear is cake, front takes some more work. You'll need access to deep well sockets (big ones). An impact will make things much easier and quicker.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
Rent a spring compression tool. Did it in my driveway on a Saturday afternoon. Pretty easy to do. But some people have a popping issue from the strut tower mounts after. So do some reading about that if you can find it.

Rear springs just jack up the body unload the springs and remove. Front you take the struts out then you can use the compressor tool and remove the spring.

Last edited:

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward. Breaker bars and impact wrenches will make your life very very easy and take an eight of the amount of time. I swapped springs out alone in my 2012 convertible in 2 hours

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
You don't need a spring compressor - and most of the ones you can rent are cheap and dangerous. Unbolt the top of the strut with a jack already in place under the lower A arm, and slowly lower it down. Reinstall the same way.

Corpo

I
Reaction score
You don't need a spring compressor - and most of the ones you can rent are cheap and dangerous. Unbolt the top of the strut with a jack already in place under the lower A arm, and slowly lower it down. Reinstall the same way.

Good idea.

97camastang06

forum member
Reaction score
Go on youtube. Search Motorz tv: lowering a mustang. It's the best step by step

07 procharger

Addicted to modding
Reaction score
Question, and a bit of a thread jack.

The big nut on top of the strut...can it be removed with the strut in the car, tires on sitting on the ground?

Will the weight of the car keep the spring comppresed? Thats what Im reading in FullBoogies post...just want to be sure.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score

Hmmm never thought of doing it this way, good thinking!

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

This.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back