M90 Opinions

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
I posted a thread on another forum, and got some good feedback. Just looking for more. I had originally planned on going with a Kenne Bell, but then decided do go a cheaper route, an on3 turbo. After researching for weeks, the on3 isn't totally out yet, but I'm leaning more towards an M90.

Forged internals seem to be a huge money sink that isn't necessary since I feel I could be happy with around 450+ hp, 450 tq to the wheels.

I really like the sound of the M90, and I think I could get the power I need out of it. On the other side I hear it has "heating issues" around that power level... and of course the obvious downside that there is no room for improvement beyond that.

Is the M90 reliable?
What kind of prices have they been selling for used on the forums if anyone as noticed?
How much boost can it run?
Can I get 450 rwtq out of it?
And what would the HP numbers be at with that torque?

If I could pick one up for around the cost of an on3, probably a little more, then I'd probably go this route. If I go M90, the other performance upgrades I'll be doing is probably only longtubes, offroad H, some suspension mods (LCA UCA Panhard etc, not lowering it). Would probably also get an aluminum driveshaft, I would not put a new clutch in unless it gave out before I was ready, but rather get a used TR6060 and do a swap

Opinions?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Have you thought about a DOB setup? Room to grow and less expensive than the M90. More power and better cooling too. There is more to engine longevity than just power. Detonation is a killer and the lower the iats the less chance of detonation.

Are you pretty well set on a pd blower?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You can get a good, low mileage M90 kit for about $2K. Used to see them on fnsweet all the time but that forum went to shit 6 months ago when the idiot owner unknowingly 'upgraded' to a mobile version of vBulletin. Now the site is virtually unusable.

My M90 was flawless other than I eventually wanted more power. People mention the heat issues but my TVS1900 gets a lot hotter than my M90 ever did. More boost = more heat. At only 7-8 lbs of boost it's not an issue.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You can get a good, low mileage M90 kit for about $2K. Used to see them on fnsweet all the time but that forum went to shit 6 months ago when the idiot owner unknowingly 'upgraded' to a mobile version of vBulletin. Now the site is virtually unusable.

My M90 was flawless other than I eventually wanted more power. People mention the heat issues but my TVS1900 gets a lot hotter than my M90 ever did. More boost = more heat. At only 7-8 lbs of boost it's not an issue.

Do you remember your normal in town and highway iats for the M90? How bad is the TVS?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Overspun with a 2.49" pulley I think I averaged about 130-140. My TVS1900 at 15 lbs averages about 140-160. I was upset about it at first but Justin said it was no big deal and adjusted the tune so it wouldn't pull timing until 160. I'll probably drop the boost back down to 11-12 lbs before summer though.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It is very reliable in stock trim, you will be more in the 375-400rwhp range on the stock pulley stock car (4-5psi).
7-9psi is about the limit with supporting mods before its just making heat and getting overspun. With all the mods and bolt ons you can get closer to the 440-450range squeezing everything out of it with higher iat's.

Here is some more info.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63105&highlight=m90+efficiencey

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43441&highlight=m90+dyno+results

As for the turbo kit you can easily make 450rwhp/tq at 6-8psi and your iat's will be ambient. Turbo kit is a little more involved install, it will have an air to air intercooler, which is simpler than the heat exchanger, water pump, air to water intercooler on the m90. Pros and cons for both so its up to you what you like best.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Overspun with a 2.49" pulley I think I averaged about 130-140. My TVS1900 at 15 lbs averages about 140-160. I was upset about it at first but Justin said it was no big deal and adjusted the tune so it wouldn't pull timing until 160. I'll probably drop the boost back down to 11-12 lbs before summer though.

Is that just normal driving though? Out of boost? What's the ambient temps?

I'm just real curious about it. A lot of people use general terms but having good first hand data is something we don't always see.

Thanks

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Mine made 419/396 on a completely stock motor in the middle of summer. Had another dyno run in cooler weather that I hit 434.

Bruce, those numbers are about average for my typical (lead foot) urban driving. Getting into boost actually brings the IAT down as the air moves faster.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I bought S&H's On3 kit, and have over 11,000 miles on it. No issues and made just under 500 rwhp and tq on 9 psi on stock motor. I love turbos but thats just me. I was in the same predicament as you and I do not regret my decision, especially since Im putting a built motor in it.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
If the OP is looking for a M90, mine is for sale.
It isn't coming off my car for $2000, though.
Included will be the 2.49 pulley, Steeda CAI, larger idler pulley...then the M90 kit.

My whip is putting down 436 RWHP & 404 TQ.
I don't notice timing being pulled when IAT's get at or above 140*

PM if interested.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back