Machining Anyone?

TheBlackPearl

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone on here do machining? I need part of my shifter turned down and re-threaded for a new shift ball.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
mgw sells different thread handles, I ordered one to use an original 01 bullitt shift knob, Im sure they could make you something custom if needed as well for far less then any machinist would

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
What's the difference in thread size &pitch between the shifter and the ball? You might be able to get an adapter like this:

non-threaded-adapter-vw-audi.jpg

or this

ntis2.jpg

If there's no adapter right out of the box that'll work, you might also be able to drill/tap the threads on the ball to accommodate an adapter. Might be easier than having the shifter machined.

Last edited:

TheBlackPearl

forum member
Reaction score
It is M12x1.75, and the shift ball has 3/8x16 threads.

I already have a spare shift handle, so I won't be changing anything that came with the shifter from MGW.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
It is M12x1.75, and the shift ball has 3/8x16 threads.

I already have a spare shift handle, so I won't be changing anything that came with the shifter from MGW.

Ah, OK I see now. So if the shift ball is ~ M10x1.5 (going off this site). I think you could drill & tap the shift ball out to M12x1.75 since the drill size for M12 is ~10.2 mm which I think is just a little larger than the outside thread diameter on M10x1.5. I realize I'm :beatdeadhorse5: but just sayin' you've got that option. Drill/tap sets are cheaper than sending the handle out for machining will probably be, but the trick is is drilling/tapping straight.

You might be able to reduce the threads on the handle yourself with something like this:

Amazon.com: 30mm OD M10x1.5mm Coarse Thread Cutting Tool Round Die Gray: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qQ6Gz-AZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41qQ6Gz-AZL

morrowstang95

forum member
Reaction score
to thread the handle it'll have to be turned down to the nominal size of the tread.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back