maximum motorsports producing more s197 parts

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i think if they were a sponsor here, or had some sort of representation, there would be more guys talking about their stuff

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
***copy and pasted from SVTP***

MAXIMUMFinalslightlysmaller.jpg~original

I was recently given the opportunity to jump on the train a little early and grab a good seat before it pulled into the station. Maximum Motorsports is finalizing the design of their latest masterpiece, a K-member designed to fit the 2005-2014 S197 chassis. I just installed one in my 2009 GT500 and have already accepted the fact that the grin on my face may indeed be permanent. I invite you to spend a few minutes staring and studying.

My name is Tob and I have a hardware addiction.

Yeah, and I'm not looking for a cure either. Pulling all of this from the neatly packed box it came in, one thing was clear to me in short order - a lot of thought went into this and it was going to take a bit of time to understand the reasoning behind the design. The beautifully designed/fabricated/finished tubular K-member holds nothing back. I expected that. What I wasn't prepared for were the CNC machined billet aluminum blocks. I had never seen a photo of them nor were they specifically talked about. It took me a few minutes to realize what they were for.

It was the large radius that gave it away. And while I figured out how they were integral to the design I had yet to grasp the utility they offered.

I had planned for this install for some time now and one of the things I wanted to take advantage of during the swap was to install a set of the now deceased, FRPP GT500 shorty headers. So I had to figure out an order of operation as well as a means to get it done. Maximum helped out in this department in a big way. They supplied a flanged tube assembly (as well as superb tech on the matter) that worked flawlessly with some beefy ratchet straps that I keep on hand.

Once the modular monster was safely restrained I was able to pull the factory K-member and suspension pieces with relative ease. I was able to do everything by myself (My Great Dane "Big V" was there just in case) either on my knees or on my back. The motorcycle jack I used made lowering the K-member a breeze.

I don't have any official specifications to report other than to say that design allows for a much stronger piece than the factory with increased room or clearance as well as much improved geometry.

The billet blocks. I hadn't identified the additional role(s) they were designed to fill until Chuck Schwynoch, the CEO at MM, pointed it out to me. The blocks (and the welded angle assemblies attached to them) were designed to allow the engine to be supported independent of the K-member. Absolute genius. Talk about room for a header install or pan change/maintenance, etc. Like a pair of comfortable shoes or your best fitting jeans, the included hardware fit like a glove. The three loosely threaded bolts you see are for attaching the K-member.

With the engine fully supported I was able to install and square up the K-member like a gentleman.

Installed along with the K-member were MM's caster/camber plates as well as their bumpsteer kit. I used a Longacre c/c gauge and string lines for alignment and was on the road. I'm happy to report that there is zero increase in NVH and I mean zero. I commented to Chuck that the car felt different in that it seemed to have lost the desire to plow off the road. It is clearly better than it was from a confidence perspective. I'm not finished with it yet and am trying to fine tune so that I can offer accurate and repeatable feedback to Maximum.

Some truly creative minds have created something truly revolutionary. Chuck, Luka, Jack, and everyone else at Maximum - please, keep up the good work!

Tob

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I have to say looking at the pics of that K-member, I am very glad I went with a bmr

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i went with bmr, but seeing a k member with the option of SLA suspension, and removing the k member itself without affecting the engine is pretty awesome

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Others? The only other company that comes to mind is cortex racing...
I guess I'm not entirely convinced an sla is that much better than what we have now, but it's nice to know we have options.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Others? The only other company that comes to mind is cortex racing...
I guess I'm not entirely convinced an sla is that much better than what we have now, but it's nice to know we have options.
The benefits are there in my book, they just don't usually offset the cost.

Cortex is one. They don't have them out yet to my knowledge. There's one other company but I can't remember the name...

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
The benefits are there in my book, they just don't usually offset the cost.

Cortex is one. They don't have them out yet to my knowledge. There's one other company but I can't remember the name...

Cortex has an SLA out for the S197 chassis it just isn't on their webpage. Griggs Racing and Agent 47 both have SLA kits for the S197 as well. Griggs is on their website, not sure about A47. Of those 3, I'd go Cortex just because the spindles used are some of the beefiest spindles I have ever seen and they are lightweight too.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Agent 47 was the other one, that's it.

I only seen Griggs and Cortex in pics, but the two seem comporable. I like the Griggs for the K member setup and that it's been around a little longer. Also Bruce Griggs is a swell dude.

Mineral_'01

forum member
Reaction score
somebody posted this already

Yes, that was me. I am glad to see it is finally available for preorder on MM's site. When I first saw it, I was figuring $1k+ for the member and billet blocks, so at $789 I'd say that is pretty fair. I wonder what the SLA add on kit is going to run? I would really like to see them keep the OEM spindle if possible, that alone should keep the cost down.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Yes, that was me. I am glad to see it is finally available for preorder on MM's site. When I first saw it, I was figuring $1k+ for the member and billet blocks, so at $789 I'd say that is pretty fair. I wonder what the SLA add on kit is going to run? I would really like to see them keep the OEM spindle if possible, that alone should keep the cost down.

The OEM spindle might cause some constraints that would compromise geometry. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it but I wouldn't be surprised if they ditch the factory uprights for either the Fox/SN95 variants (one of the like 6 options from the 3rd/4th gen Mustang) or something custom.

Griggs went to the Fox/SN95 spindles (specifically the later SN95 spindles), Cortex offers conversions for the SN95 spindles and makes their own spindles that they obviously recommend heavily. I can't remember what A47 does but it would NOT surprise me if they use the SN95 spindles too. Saves a lot on R&D when you already have the numbers crunched and just need to "make it work" on a new chassis.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Griggs now makes lightweight, modular spindles for their kits. Kinda pricey, but all.of Griggs stuff is

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether or not this K-member would cause EPAS issues if you keep the stock control arms.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back