Metal shavings on dipstick

5PTG0

forum member
Reaction score
Car has 36,XXX miles and i change the oil every 3000 since I purchased the car Pulled the dipstick today just to check on things, I put a steeda intake and an American muscle tune in about 1000 miles ago the dipstick looks like it has shavings on it, any experience

I'll get a picture when I get home from work

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pull the filter and cut apart. I can't remember if the oil plug has a magnet on it.

5PTG0

forum member
Reaction score
If they are actual metal shavings what is best/worst case scenario and how I should go about this issue

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Verify metal shavings first, no need to borrow trouble.

EDIT: Post some pic's when able.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
Bama has a #8 warranty. Call them up before you go any further.

this, those metal shavings are going through your engine and tear it apart...you need to start thinking of a new engine IMO others might have better info

Reaction score
Sure it's metal? I would make sure it sticks to a magnet. Could be crap in the oil, I wouldn't over react. If the car is running fine and has enough oil I don't see a problem. Other than the number 8 crap..........dun dun duuuuuuun.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Captian obvious asks if it's possible that the dipstick got contaminated in the trip between the engine and your eyes?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Lol what an ass. That's funny.

He has a warranty through AM.

Pics!!!!

IMO 'warranty' on a 3-4 year old car is worth about the same as a candy bar wrapper or lotto ticket. It's the last year of the 4.6 so it's pretty much the least desirable model year of the last decade. If the car is basically stock without a lot of custom mods, then trading it now would minimize dollars invested and maximize his trade in value.

I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was offering my best advice based on dollars invested and not any emotional attachment to the car.

5PTG0

forum member
Reaction score
IMO 'warranty' on a 3-4 year old car is worth about the same as a candy bar wrapper or lotto ticket. It's the last year of the 4.6 so it's pretty much the least desirable model year of the last decade. If the car is basically stock without a lot of custom mods, then trading it now would minimize dollars invested and maximize his trade in value.

I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was offering my best advice based on dollars invested and not any emotional attachment to the car.

We are talking about my 2012 5.0

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Skwerl, if the idea of fucking over the dealer or next guy doesn't bother you, it could be considered advice.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sorry, I've been shafted by more than one dealer so my conscience may be a bit hardened. Just ignore my comments then, I apologize for interrupting your thread.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I've been shafted by more than one dealer so my conscience may be a bit hardened. Just ignore my comments then, I apologize for interrupting your thread.

That's the problem, there are some shit dealers who would pass it on to some poor sucker who would get stuck with the bill. Since it has had a tune, even an aftermarket warranty might not pay.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Don't drive it. Drain the oil and strain it to see what, if anything is in there.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
What he said. Drain oil, pour it through a metal coffee ground filter and see whats left over. that and like others said, cut the filter open and have a look inside.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
do not use a hack saw to cut the filter open. large pipe cutter type tool or knife you don't care about.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back