MGW or Barton?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Redline and Amsoil arent sold locally on the shelf. At least not for the engine. My local dealer is also a FRPP dealer and their Shelby techs reccommend Mobil as its a synthetic. To use 0w or 5w. Thats what I was told by them anyway. They said due to the tighter tolerances in these newer engines and the variable cam timing that amsoil isnt a good choice on a molecular level.

Dont get me wrong. That didnt sound correct to me. But my warranty is on the line and I dont have 8 grand laying around for a new coyote if mine bites the dust and the techs say it was due to using 10w-30 or amsoil. This is my daily driver.

Not to turn this into an oil debate but the Mobil of today is not the same formula of years ago and Amsoil warranties their oil/engines so I can't see that being an issue...and Mobil one is not a true syn like Amsoil is so you were correct in your thoughts that they are full of shit.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
+1 with what Greg says. If you want me to go into further detail, just ask and I will.

As far as the not on the local shelf deal....go on Amsoil's site and purchase a preferred customer membership. This gets you product at dealer cost.

Then buy 2-3 oil changes worth of product to keep shipping costs down. Change your oil every 10-12k miles when using Signature Series.

Those "techs" were blowing smoke up your ass.
Mobil is far from being the best on-the-shelf oil out there. If you don't wanna dish out the $ for Amsoil or Redline, buy Pennzoil Ultra. It's the best on-the-shelf oil currently on the market.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
There are Mobil 1s that are true synthetics but not all weights. I think its 5-50 and 5-30ep are true synthetics that Mobil one sells.

lchauvin88

Reaction score
Ill keep that in mind. I used to run royal purple in all my vehicles years ago. Now I have a house two car notes and bills. And unfortunately the income is still the same. So ive cut corners where allowable.

Back onto shifter tech. I watched some videos and Ive apent some time today under my car putting the Whiteline bushing in. Ill probably go MGW just have to let some change jars fill up. I know this for sure. Throwing myself on the ground and shimmying arouns isnt as fun as it were 4 years ago. Next mod that gets done under the car Im going to use my buddys lift at his shop. Working on your back in a driveway is just no fun at all.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
So I'm the only hoy with the rattle? Maybe I tightened the bracket too much when I did the install?

Turd burglar

forum member
Reaction score
I've had my mgw since 35 miles on the odometer, currently sitting at 3xxx miles, zero issues with noise, and i can bang gears without ever being locked out. I'm bias here since I've never had a Barton, but the mgw quality is top notch.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score

I sure hope this MGW doesn't have any NVH! Anybody ever had an MGW on a 2011-14GT and DIDN'T like it?

I'll finish the install Tuesday.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
My '11 didn't have any NVH after the install other than changing the sound the shifter makes. When I get one for my '13, I expect the same result.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score

I sure hope this MGW doesn't have any NVH! Anybody ever had an MGW on a 2011-14GT and DIDN'T like it?

I'll finish the install Tuesday.
What do you do that would cause NVH? Do you make engine noises through a megaphone?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
My '11 didn't have any NVH after the install other than changing the sound the shifter makes. When I get one for my '13, I expect the same result.

I drove my buddy's car with this exact shifter on it and he had the black "race" bushing and it shifted like a champ! I just can't stand noise and vibration.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I drove my buddy's car with this exact shifter on it and he had the black "race" bushing and it shifted like a champ! I just can't stand noise and vibration.

Didn't realize NVH could be detected by pushing a car around a garage...:evillaugh:

2011chicagostang

Have to vote for the Barton w/2 post bracket. I've put about 1K mi on it since the install. The only NVH I get is resting my hand on the shifter, get a littler tranny whine. Otherwise works great.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I'm considering either the Barton and MGW which are pretty much the same price but everyone keeps mentioning the two post brackets on the MGW. But both designs have it...did Barton recently change their design?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back