Motor is gone

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Took the car to the track for the first time this season and she let go on the first pass.

It was all a blur to me really and im still in shock about the whole thing but somewhere between shifting to 4th and the return road I lost all oil pressure. At first i thought oh well it could be the gauge acting up again, Ive had a few issues with the Nexus oil pressure gauge. Then i see the oil light on the instrument cluster and thing oh fuck. Yet the car is still running, moving and idling all on its own. Now im confused

I shut the car off and rolled into the pits and pop the hood. Everything seems to be in order, check under the car for oil and everything is bone dry, not a drop anywhere. No holes in the block, nothing.

Check the oil and as usual the dipstick reads nothing due to the moroso deep pan. Go to the store by the track and getsome oil and it took 2 quarts or so which means there were 5 or so in there to begin with so it wasn't a lack of oil. Start the car after adding oil just to see if the noise was gone....Nope clackity clackity clackity and it seemed to follow the rpms. At this point im packing up and calling my buddy to come with his flatbed to take me home

Spun bearing? Oil pump failure? at this point who knows. Im only going on 4 hours of sleep right now so im not in a very good mental state to be making decisions but I do not know what to do at this point. Soem of the ideas I've had were to part out the car and return it to as stock as possible and sell it, To pop a stock motor in and go back to 10psi, pop a stock motor in and leave it N/A, and sell/trade most of the performance parts, or to fix the motor.

I do not have the time or the money to be tearing it apart right now nor the resources to do so as I have never done this myself. I am pretty sure I will be done for the year at Min.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also got a set of MT 3055 and a set of MT 3057 tires brand new. All i want is what summit sells em for. I will give you free shipping so you'll save 30 bucks or so otherwize ill just send back to summit

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems. You seem to have had gremlins from the get go with this car.

Isn't that the cam phaser failure sound? Car sounds like a diesel when they go. Someone on this board posted a video if I remember right. I feel for you Ron. I went to the track yesterday and my tensioner is shot and one of the pullies is making a high pitch squeal! This hobby never ends, does it?

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear man. Hopefully it isn't that big of a problem after all. I might be interested in some of your suspension mods if you are planning to go that route...

akula52

forum member
Reaction score
that sucks

Dam Ron, that really sucks. Look on the bright side if there is one, you don't have any holes in the block. It may be something that is repairable at a reasonable cost. Just take a break, let her sit for a while and then decide! Good Luck Bro!

Pumkinfish, your symptoms sound like mine before I ripped the lower idler off my timing cover with a part of the timing cover attached!

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, I know how you feel, loosing a built block is killer. Take a break, and clear you head and then have a look. Hope it works out for you.

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Take a bud, take a breath.

And fix it.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
could it also be a phaser? how would you know a phaser was bad? just replace and hope?

I wantto take a vid of the sound but afraid ill do more damage

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The phasers aren't that much and the vid did sound like the one Livernois posted. Just hope it's something simple.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
IF it was oil problem, a phaser would most likely be the problem IMO, those things work with oil preassure, and btw, do you have limiters or lockouts? or none?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Man, that sucks Ron. From what you described, it sounds eerily like what Ken3030 had happen back in Dec. Turned out to be a failed oil pump for him.

DKO

Shut up and die!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear, Ron. You just can't seem to break the streak of bad luck that follows you with this car. To me it also sounds like a failed pump.

Losing a built motor has got to feel like you've just been repeatedly kicked in the nuts. Sorry, again.

maxpayne

BIG UNIT
Reaction score
+1......
I might be interested in some of your suspension mods

Sorry to hear that bro!Was it maybe because it wasn't driven for a while and oil wen bad.......

Last edited:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Hey Ron,
Let your blood pressure go back to normal and don't do anything right now. I don't know how many times I have done things while I was pissed just to regret it later. Stuff always works out. If you just had the engine done, I would think the builder would want to pull it apart and see what the hell failed and hopefully the part manufacturer will stand behind making it right. Was this a stock oil pump, or aftermarket? Seems like the stock oil pump is the best to use. I know me personally, if I built someone a motor and this happened right away, i'd tear it down and check it out for nothing. If this thing is built, there is no way it should have popped already and you don't have a hole in the block, so that's a plus. I won't look for someone else yet, because your ass is gonna snap out of it and figure out what's wrong with your car and run it at the shootout!:thumb:

KIM_05_GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think larry h built his motor and that guy is long gone. Sorry hear about the motor ron. Hope it's a easy fix.

Hey Ron,
Let your blood pressure go back to normal and don't do anything right now. I don't know how many times I have done things while I was pissed just to regret it later. Stuff always works out. If you just had the engine done, I would think the builder would want to pull it apart and see what the hell failed and hopefully the part manufacturer will stand behind making it right. Was this a stock oil pump, or aftermarket? Seems like the stock oil pump is the best to use. I know me personally, if I built someone a motor and this happened right away, i'd tear it down and check it out for nothing. If this thing is built, there is no way it should have popped already and you don't have a hole in the block, so that's a plus. I won't look for someone else yet, because your ass is gonna snap out of it and figure out what's wrong with your car and run it at the shootout!:thumb:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man, that sucks Ron. From what you described, it sounds eerily like what Ken3030 had happen back in Dec. Turned out to be a failed oil pump for him.

Don I hope thats all it is

Very sorry to hear, Ron. You just can't seem to break the streak of bad luck that follows you with this car. To me it also sounds like a failed pump.

Losing a built motor has got to feel like you've just been repeatedly kicked in the nuts. Sorry, again.

that it does im just sick to my stomach right now

Hey Ron,

I think larry h built his motor and that guy is long gone. Sorry hear about the motor ron. Hope it's a easy fix.

Motor had 7k miles on it and Larry turned out to be a VSOP so that's out of the question

It was a stock 3v Oil pump. I hear ya kimmer its just a very bad feeling right now

Kevin @ PMP offered to come up to NY and help me pull the motor and fix it using his Vacation time. I cant express enough gratitude for the offer and guilt that i would feel if i accept. Probably wont be till june so ill do as much teardown as I can to see what went wrong

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back