Motor is gone

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i dunno man it doesn't sound like a constant noise ...it seems kinda random to me

i dunno but like i said with it not being a steady noise that would pretty much x-out anything belt orientated but i have been wrong before lol

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i dunno man it doesn't sound like a constant noise ...it seems kinda random to me

i dunno but like i said with it not being a steady noise that would pretty much x-out anything belt orientated but i have been wrong before lol

seems to only want to do it wqith belt on, then goes away after warmup

Maybe bearing going out in acessory, maybe, bent broken fan blade (was fan on? then ).

possibly but its too loud and random to tell then disappears

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
jsut ran her for 15 minutes in the driveway and took her around for 2-3 blocks and home. Car is flipping out, all related to the PCM issue. any bump in the road sends the car into this flip out mode, lights turn on and off on the dash, temp sensor goes to high, then back again, car loses idle and wants to stall, prolly because injectors and spark is inturrupted. traced he issue back to the top PCM connector. with the car idling we played with the wires and it sent the car into psycho mode. So that is the next issue, then i will continue to loook for the noise

On a plus note if i didnt hit any bumps in the road, car seemed to run ok, even hit about 2800-3000 rpms once

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
About the noise, did you maybe drop something into the fan shroud? Just a random thought but it sounds kind of like the fan blade hitting something to me.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
About the noise, did you maybe drop something into the fan shroud? Just a random thought but it sounds kind of like the fan blade hitting something to me.

Good idea but that wouldnt explain why it does it with the belt off as its an electric fan. Also does it when the car is cold, which means the fan is off. Stops when the car warm up and the fan comes on

06Roadstarman

Nucking Futter
Reaction score
Well got the car down from jack stands today to make it easier to work on.

The noise is still there but oddly enough after the car warms up it seems to go away and then turns into belt squeal. Probably after 10 minutes or so. I know i do need to move the power steering pulley in more so that may take care of the belt squeal noise, but the other knocking/slapping noise is much harder to pinpoint as it just decides to stop on its own. I did listen to all the pulleys with a stethoscope today and it is not the water pump or any of the idlers. It is not the tensioner either

Im at a loss on that. No start up issues today, started right up but there's sill a loose connection somewhere. I will check the BE
C for sure, but i never undid anything from there, but i like the idea. Thank you

Im debating a test drive at the moment.

I tried to capture the noise. I can hear it in the video but i also know what im listening for. I think you can most predominately hear it in the video when i move the camera down to the pulleys. Let me know what you think

When I was watching this vid I believe the noise you were talking about was the 3 clicks that kept repeating? It looked like there was a pulsation in the belt at that same pace but the camera moved before I could verify. Is there something on the belt? Like something that dripped onto the belt then hardened? If that is the noise that you were worried about then I don't think it is internal to the engine and the belts/pulleys are the place to be looking. I read the entire thread tonight and I was about ready to sell your car as well. This is why I probably wont build up my car too much......just don't want to start hating it.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I was watching this vid I believe the noise you were talking about was the 3 clicks that kept repeating? It looked like there was a pulsation in the belt at that same pace but the camera moved before I could verify. Is there something on the belt? Like something that dripped onto the belt then hardened? If that is the noise that you were worried about then I don't think it is internal to the engine and the belts/pulleys are the place to be looking. I read the entire thread tonight and I was about ready to sell your car as well. This is why I probably wont build up my car too much......just don't want to start hating it.

Theres nothing on the belt. tried a new belt that was never used and it did it till the engine warmed up. Like i said as well, it does NOT do it it seems when the belt is off at the moment. It did used to though

Simple solution is to replace all of the idlers first. I got enough of em. then start repalcing accessories

bscottie

forum member
Reaction score
since you can clean afterwards why not trying to spray some WD40 or something towards the bearings on the idlers when it is making the noise? sort of sounded like armature noise to me though from the alternator, and of course since you are having PCM issues there are several weird elctrical things that could be causes something crazy, elimination looks like it is going to painful but at least the motor is sounding ok

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dry (no lubrication) roller bearing to me. Check the bearing on the Meziere E-H20 pump. I remember a while back that they had a problem with the bearing seal.

How do you check the bearing? I was told by meziere the pulley is non removable when i inquired about changing the size of the pulley to help with belt issues last year

since you can clean afterwards why not trying to spray some WD40 or something towards the bearings on the idlers when it is making the noise? sort of sounded like armature noise to me though from the alternator, and of course since you are having PCM issues there are several weird elctrical things that could be causes something crazy, elimination looks like it is going to painful but at least the motor is sounding ok

Well once the weird noise stops after the car warms up, i get belt squeal. I sprayed some wd40 on the belt to test with and the squeal disappears for a while. Im thinking the squeal is a misaligned power steering pulley as honestly it's the only pulley I've removed that has any movement to it.

what is armature noise?

Blazing Saddles

I'm a "Pro Tree" Hugger
Reaction score
How do you check the bearing? I was told by meziere the pulley is non removable when i inquired about changing the size of the pulley to help with belt issues last year

Remove the belt and spin the pulley by hand. It should spin freely and silently. If the bearing is dry you'll feel some chatter and perhaps even hear it.

Last edited:

bscottie

forum member
Reaction score
the armature is internal on the alternator, if there is wear or some misalignment it could make the noise, also there could be something a little loose in there that maybe fell into by accident, blow it out with a air compressor, from what you said I think I would start with ps pulley first though

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Remove the belt and spin the pulley by hand. It should spin freely and silently. If the bearing is dry you'll feel some chatter and perhaps even hear it.

I do hear some light noise, almost like a grinding, not all the time just at certain points. but it is not loud and not nearly loud enough to hear over the motor running and injectors and exhaust and such. Will it get louder with belt tension do you think?

the armature is internal on the alternator, if there is wear or some misalignment it could make the noise, also there could be something a little loose in there that maybe fell into by accident, blow it out with a air compressor, from what you said I think I would start with ps pulley first though

thanks i will try that!!

Blazing Saddles

I'm a "Pro Tree" Hugger
Reaction score
I do hear some light noise, almost like a grinding, not all the time just at certain points. but it is not loud and not nearly loud enough to hear over the motor running and injectors and exhaust and such. Will it get louder with belt tension do you think?

Yes it will get louder in use. The bearing will heat up and not want to turn. That's probably why the chattering noise turns into belt screech.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you know if meziere has warranties on these things? I probably have less than 15k miles on it

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i dont hear a knocking or slapping sound there though, just a squeal

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back