motor question

tomm99

forum member
Reaction score
hey guys was looking into rebuilding my 05 gt bc buyin a 2014 shelby is way out of the question .... i was going to start with a motor block and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this ...... http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-modular-boss-block.html

anything you guys have to offer as far as knowlage wise on this or a better route please feel free
thanks

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Use your own block and get the forged rotating assembly of choice.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed. Our blocks are pretty stout. Cranks are also good for like 600+? Don't think I've heard of any breaking due to power. Rods are the weak point in the stock equation

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I built a budget engine once, then sold it to build the engine I really wanted. Only cry once as they say. I have a boss block sitting in my garage right now waiting for a few more parts

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why not search and see the builds some have done with that block. Like BruceH

go302

Tits McGee
Reaction score
I honestly think that block is overrated. Plenty of guys making well into the 1000s with built 4.6s or 5.0 strokers. Use your stock aluminum block and save yourself some money. I'm building a teksid right now but the WAP block is stout.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Well you could buy that block with the forum discount your looking at $1260. BruceH has got a set of boss rods and wiseco piston for sale at $850. A stock crack will cost you around 200, machine and prepping the block $800-1000. The total build might 3000-3200 total. But you will have a nice motor with more cubic inches. Like others have said look at some of BruceH builds. It is nice block but I choose not to use it.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd use the stock block and crank if downtime isn't a concern.

tomm99

forum member
Reaction score
i would love to keep my motor but i was just a bit concerned with the mile its over 100k idk acual bc i changed my cluster out

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
A dealer can flash the cluster to correct milage

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i would love to keep my motor but i was just a bit concerned with the mile its over 100k idk acual bc i changed my cluster out

.020 bore job and good as new.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score

Mine had 72k miles and around 150 passes. Half of which FI, and it would have been good with .010 over according to my machine shop. I usually don't spread word of mouth but my tuners shop car made 800ish on the stock block and crank. Went 2 full seasons on that setup.

tomm99

forum member
Reaction score
ok so it sounds like i have really made a choice to keep my motor but if i did decide to go with the new one yall think that it would work without to many problems?

tomm99

forum member
Reaction score
I run their rotating 5.1 pro-street assembly kit in my block. They also have shortblocks.

How much HP you want will dictate whether 4.6 or 5.1 would be appropriate.

http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-4-6L-Modular-short-blocks-s/125.htm

dude that site is great saves me the work of shops and all .... http://www.coasthigh.com/product-p/14780-ps-f5.1l-sb.htm .... if i was to go with this and for exaple went to american muscel being that its a 5.0/.1 would i be able to use parts for the 5.0 from the site? more or less just asking where would i have to go to buy all the rest of the parts for the build.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
dude that site is great saves me the work of shops and all .... http://www.coasthigh.com/product-p/14780-ps-f5.1l-sb.htm .... if i was to go with this and for exaple went to american muscel being that its a 5.0/.1 would i be able to use parts for the 5.0 from the site? more or less just asking where would i have to go to buy all the rest of the parts for the build.

No, only the stroke increased. All the parts from your current motor would bolt on. You would just have a 5 litre displacement instead of 4.6. Any other upgrade parts, like heads, would be for the 4.6 3V motor.

tomm99

forum member
Reaction score
oh alright that makes sence now.... so everything that i have already bought for my motor build would have thankfully not been a waste haha..... this makes life much easyer. thanks man!

tomm99

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.coasthigh.com/product-p/14780-ps-f5.1l-sb.htm ..... so i was really planning on getting this block ... thank to weather man....but i was looking online about the superchargger i was going to get and it says that the motor has be to be forged.... this one is not and im having a hard time finding a modualr block that is stroked and forged , anyone know of anything?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
erm...that block is forged?

Probe Industries SRS Forged Pistons (2618-T61)
Probe Industries Forged 4340 Steel Crankshaft
Probe Industries H-Beam Connecting Rods

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hey man, I'm literally going through the same thing right now, and one of the guys here has been AMAZINGLY gracious to share his insight and knowledge.

PM me and I'll share some of that info with you. :thumb2:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back