motor tear down pics.... beyond repair?

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here was the discovery when I finally tore the old motor apart yesterday! I was really hopeing that I could salvage the old heads but one of the has some scarring that Im not real sure can be patched up?? WARNING!! View at your own risk:beat:

z8.jpg

z7.jpg

z10.jpg

z12.jpg

z6.jpg

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Enough to make me shed a few tears. That head does look beyond repair, but I'm not sure if things like that can be redone and if it could would it be cost wise?
I feel for you..

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ouch man. i have no real advice but i rememebr when you blew the motor. Ouch man. Very ouch

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I won't say it can't be done - It would take someone who modifies heads for a living to tell you if that can be cleaned up.

However, I think it is safe to say, you should be looking for some new heads...

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
The head can be saved but at what cost? The welding job alone is going to take some time not to mention the machining.

Just shoot it and be done with it.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The head can be saved but at what cost? The welding job alone is going to take some time not to mention the machining.

Just shoot it and be done with it.

Thats the route im unfortunately looking to go:kill: anyone have any stock heads laying around?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats the route im unfortunately looking to go:kill: anyone have any stock heads laying around?
Junk yards - look for 5.4L 3V from 04 truck or 05+ mustang heads... They are the same part...

I don't have a link handy, but there are multiple on-line national junkyard search engines...

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This honestly brings back painful memories...:sick:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd sooner rape myself with giant rasp than bid on something from Ebay, but price-wise it looks pretty good from here...

It was something like 9 months ago, but I paid a little bit more than that for a set of heads pulled from the yard. The trick you find our later is that the VVT hardware ain't cheap, but then you have no idea what condition it is in if you get it used. Mine had the VVT still on there - Ron is now using the guts of it for fixed cam angle setup.

I just bought the heads for "cores" to swap with a pair of heads from livernois.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd sooner rape myself with giant rasp than bid on something from Ebay, but price-wise it looks pretty good from here...
Are you against e-bay or does this just look too good to be true (shady)? I have everything off of my head so I just need bare castings like this auction and a few valves maybe. And a Rasp man!! damn thats gonna leave a mark!!:kinky:

Thanks for the help

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you against e-bay or does this just look too good to be true (shady)? I have everything off of my head so I just need bare castings like this auction and a few valves maybe. And a Rasp man!! damn thats gonna leave a mark!!:kinky:

Thanks for the help
Just a personal E-bay thing. Too much fraud to trust anything... Its like shopping at Target only there are 4X as many pick-pockets in the store as real shoppers... FWIW, I have purchased things through Ebay in the past, but it is generally a source of last resort for me. The increased transaction time, cost uncertainty levels the playing field with many other options..

~$300 is a reasonable price for a set of pulled heads, but even bare if they are really new, that seems a little low - they are something like $1400 a head from Ford all dressed up right?

Also don't like the "same casting as" comment - that is a little fishy. Wouldn't hurt to find out where they came from, why they are bare, etc...

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hope thats not me someday.... going to supercharge the car within the next 2 years. Guess I will be keeping the Boost to around 8 and keep the tune very conservitive.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Look At The Guys Recent Feedback ? No Paypal, No Pay Pal ?

Becarefull !!

srt2stang725

Reaction score
before you bid on those heads take a look at that guys feedback score...91.1% positive on only 37 transactions...id be a little leary to buy from him....but good luck with the rebuild man!

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Damn dude when you tear it up you really tear it up! As far as ebay goes, I have bought quite a few things on there and only got screwed once. Naturally it was the most expensive item I have ever bought at $4500. Bought a "Brand new never mounted" Hellion turbo set up that was used and missing some parts from a shop in Arizona. Still fighting him through BBB. I would find out more info before I bought the heads. I am a little leery about the "same casting as" comment too.

Randy

07SHELBY GT

I know this is a little off topic but I had a Maverick once with a pretty stout 302,I wound it up to 7500RPM every day as it was my daily driver,Solid cam,High compression etc.That thing sounded so GOOOOD!I was always warned that when it came apart it would not just be a connecting rod bearing it would go KABOOOOM!Never did but I suspect it would have resembled your motor.As far as Ebay,I have only purchased a decal from that site but have heard good and bad things like the previous pick-pocket stuff.No paypal tells me no buy from!Besides what the heck happened to the missing parts,Nobody would buy new heads for the valves,So if they got tweaked,What about the rest of the head.My advice is to pay a litle more and be a whole lot safer!

Back