Moving to the next stage

BlueChappy

Reaction score
^^^^
What Dino said x100

I plan on getting a supercharger eventually. But I was focusing this post on suspension. I’m at that stage where suspension is next. And I was curious as to what everyone uses/recommends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First thing is to put the stock injectors back in until you have a supercharger. The 80 lb injectors are an old design and have a fairly poor spray pattern for the 3v and do not perform as well as many of the more modern injectors at short pulse widths.

As for wheels and tires, the weight is the main factor about any differences in RWHP, more than the diameter of the wheel. Also, remember that we usually use a different sized tire depending on the wheel diameter to come out with a similar overall height. However, a set of cast 20's will have a lot of weight out at the barrel of the wheel and that can hurt power at the wheels. But worrying about losing a couple HP over wheel weights is not worth it as driving skill will always be a bigger factor than 2-3 hp on a 300+ HP car. Flow formed or rotary forged wheels are the best bang for the buck right now as there are many 19 and 20" wheels that are around 25lbs each.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I’ve always had 20’s on this car... so I can’t compare to 19’s personally. Large wheels do raise your overall gearing... making the vehicles legs longer, as they say, but I always thought the dyno was configured with these parameters so it would measure your whp accordingly. How the gearing plays out over the course of a run depends on vehicle power. If you want 20’s, might want to wait until you add forced induction. Or if you don’t want to wait you could lower the gearing out back to compensate or more... like go to 3.73 or even 4.10’s. My basic point is that wheels are just one of the key things that impact overall gearing. If you want large diameter wheels, you can lower your gearing and regain control of the end result. I’ve personally never played around with gearing much, but I’m sure there are people far more knowledgeable than I on the forum. Maybe they will chime in.

Not necessarily true. I have 18" wheels and my tires are almost 29" tall. My 15" rims have 28" tall tires. Tire diameter is what effects overall drive ratio.

bmeaggie

Reaction score
Not necessarily true. I have 18" wheels and my tires are almost 29" tall. My 15" rims have 28" tall tires. Tire diameter is what effects overall drive ratio.
I should have just said overall diameter wheel+tire. Regardless, you clearly get the point... that it all goes into the gearing equation.

As far as weight (vs size), you will get varying opinions. Changes in wheel weight have never impacted my drag ET’s to any extent I could see. I have never seen the difference show up on a dyno either.

Now this is talking 3500+lb cars. If you take of switch out ultra-lightweight wheels for super heavy ones on your road course Miata, you will not be happy with the difference. :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back