Mustang dyno vs dyno jet

BoostedGT

Reaction score
I put my car on a mustang dyno this morning and put down 417 hp. Then he told me if it was a dynojet the number would be close to 500. If that's true then why the big difference? Which one is accurate? The owner of the shop told me the mustang dyno was the accurate one and that dyno jet numbers were always 13% to 15% high. Now I'm sure he is a little biased so I was hoping someone might be able to offer some clarification on this.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this topic has been covered ad nauseum, please search.

and yes MDs read 8-12% lower on average based on my previous research

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dyno jet is higher. But it doesnt matter really. A dyno is a tool to tune, and not a measure of how fast your car is persay. ALot of people think..."Well, my car put down 500 whp on the dyno, I can run 10's and beat Z06's on the highway, blah blah blah"..The true test of how fast your car is is at the track, and your 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile trap speeds. If you want a dyno sheet for bragging rights, then go with a dyno jet.

PBstallis

forum member
Reaction score
I looked at my car and decided it has 423hp to wheels because the mustang dyno told me 364 last year, but I have a big penis so its alright

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
^ haha thats funny. I just want my car to trap 130 in the quarter that would be enough for me

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
There is no correct "HP" #. Think of it this way, you weigh 200 lbs on Earth but only 33 lbs on the Moon. The # is arbitrary because the variables changed. Mustang Dynos change the variable of Load and therefore read a different #. Apples to Oranges basically.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
According to that calculator I make 369 horsepower, which I don't lol

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It says I should run an 11.58 at 117 mph...ANd that is almost exactly where I think I should be as well..Pretty cool gizmo there. Since I ran an 11.84, I know deep down inside its an 11.50 car with a better mph. I just have to do it..

SRTthis

Reaction score
Dyno jet is higher. But it doesnt matter really. A dyno is a tool to tune, and not a measure of how fast your car is persay. ALot of people think..."Well, my car put down 500 whp on the dyno, I can run 10's and beat Z06's on the highway, blah blah blah"..The true test of how fast your car is is at the track, and your 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile trap speeds. If you want a dyno sheet for bragging rights, then go with a dyno jet.
QTF!

my lx can have 15hp as long as i can trap 120 on the bottle when i run it with stock heads i'll be happy

mynameismike65

forum member
Reaction score

This

BoostedGT

Reaction score
I understand that hp is not a measure of how fast my car is and it's not the number that bothers me. It just seems to me that up to a 15% difference between two brand of dynos is excessive. So I was mainly just curious what brand you guys trusted and used.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I understand that hp is not a measure of how fast my car is and it's not the number that bothers me. It just seems to me that up to a 15% difference between two brand of dynos is excessive. So I was mainly just curious what brand you guys trusted and used.

to most here dyno numbers don't mean much. we care what the ride does down the 1320. So the brand is not relevant.

SRTthis

Reaction score

id personaly trust a tune off a mustang dyno over a dyno jet if neather has been street driven

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Its not the dyno you have to "trust". The dyno has nothing to do with it. Most importantly is the guy tuning it on the dyno. Not the dyno itself.

BoostedGT

Reaction score
Well thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess I'm just getting hung up on something that doesn't really matter.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back