Mustang dyno vs dyno jet

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess I'm just getting hung up on something that doesn't really matter.

Bingo^^..Its not that it doesnt matter completely though. If you use the same dyno in similiar weather conditions, you can get an idea, from tune to tune, what your mods did for your power curve. So a dyno has some merit other than a tuning only tool. But if you mod your car then get it retuned on a different dyno, the results would be inconclusive if your going souly off of dyno numbers, not track numbers, to see any improvements..

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that MD dyno's are also the easiest to manipulate. Changing something as simple as the roller weight in the software can give you great numbers and numbers that are closer to dynojet numbers.

Like it or not the dynojet numbers are pretty much the standard and if you get tuned on an MD I would suggest taking it to a dynojet to see what the numbers are and compare. I've had several cars come in here with MD numbers only to make the same on the dynojet because they were manipulated on the MD.

Track results are where its at and a dyno is just a tool.

JJ

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
TUNING TOOL.

ill give an example. joe blow on the corral has a turbo 4v. the car is detonating at high rpms on the street and strip. the dyno used to tune was a dynojet. the loading on the dyno is less than real world and it would cost him his motor eventually.

tune it on a loaded dyno and eliminate the issue.

numbers mean nothing except internetz. look at the latest 5.0 issue. the cars were SLOW for 700-1100 rwhp. SLOW. dyno queens.

10.5-11.8 seconds and 800rwhp. an embarassment.

We have seen MD number BELOW dynojets from an unscrupulous mustang shop in nashville. next morning the 2005 lost 17hp i think it was. they can be made to read.

what JJ said. get it tune loaded and dynojet for internetz numbers.

myself? i tuned the turbo on a dynojet to watch things and keep it safe. did the rest in the car in real world situations. never hurt it in the last three years of trashing it. the new motor will be mustang'd for loading. cant chance ruining this much money.

Last edited:

BoostedGT

Reaction score
My car is not a daily driver but it's not a race car either. Right now it's tuned with 18 degrees of timing with an 11.2 A/F ratio at 8 psi on a Roush TVS 2300. He told me the other day he tuned one to 26 degrees without the knock sensors picking up anything. That seems a little high to me. How much timing do you think you can safely get out of 3v with a stock bottom end on pump gas with an upgraded fuel system and HT0's?

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
like everybody says, it's pretty much all in the tune. There are guys with well over 500rwhp on stock internals but then again the dynos can be manipulated and inflated. Detonation kills the motor, and can also break the oil pump gears so those two will fuck ur motor over badly. But sounds like you have enough fuel getting there so its not leaning out and like you said it wasnt picking any knock up on the dyno but on the street where conditions are different then it may, and thats why he took the timing down. You could get some bad gas and that could grenade it. There are just so many things to consider. If you know you're gonna go beat on it like at the quarter mile strip or something then add a couple of gallons of race fuel to your pump gas to up the octane, no tune needed.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
No love for the butt dyno? mine has never failed me.

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
Keep in mind that MD dyno's are also the easiest to manipulate. Changing something as simple as the roller weight in the software can give you great numbers and numbers that are closer to dynojet numbers.

Like it or not the dynojet numbers are pretty much the standard and if you get tuned on an MD I would suggest taking it to a dynojet to see what the numbers are and compare. I've had several cars come in here with MD numbers only to make the same on the dynojet because they were manipulated on the MD.

Track results are where its at and a dyno is just a tool.

JJ

True statement^^^^ I made 30hp less on a dynojet than I did on a MD! A good tuner can tune better on a MD than he can on a Dynojet because of the ability to load the car as if its on the street. Thats why my car drives like stock on 565rwhp on my race tune!

But the numbers dont matter if dont run the 1320, those are the numbers that decide if you win or lose! lmfao

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
True statement^^^^ I made 30hp less on a dynojet than I did on a MD! A good tuner can tune better on a MD than he can on a Dynojet because of the ability to load the car as if its on the street. Thats why my car drives like stock on 565rwhp on my race tune!

Do you realize that there are Dynojets with Load Control?

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
My '07 GT only made 393 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno, yet went 11.79 @ 114 in the 1/4 mile. I've beaten more than a few 500 rwhp cars at the track. Dynos are great tuning tools, but the timeslips from the track are all that matter, IMO.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My '07 GT only made 393 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno, yet went 11.79 @ 114 in the 1/4 mile. I've beaten more than a few 500 rwhp cars at the track. Dynos are great tuning tools, but the timeslips from the track are all that matter, IMO.

Thats^^^^the best example of how meaningless a peak dyno number is. Dyno queens HATE 1/4 mile track times, lol..Brian, your times vs. whp should be stickied on every forum for all the dyno queens to see...

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
my car trapped 120 with only 446rwhp on a dynojet lol and I weigh like 255 so that doesnt help. So yea I just wanna have a bad ass trap speed, not too worried about dyno numbers, but they do sound nice!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Only dyno I have ever been on was a dyno jet and the horsepower made sense but the torque was a little too high. 323hp/356ft-lbs? seemed a little off, I've trapped 108.5 at best.
It was still good to see my A/F and curve and all that.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Thats^^^^the best example of how meaningless a peak dyno number is. Dyno queens HATE 1/4 mile track times, lol..Brian, your times vs. whp should be stickied on every forum for all the dyno queens to see...

Even funnier for my Vortech blown '07 GT was the paltry 303 rwtq it put down with the 393 rwhp. Big stall automatic "supposedly" masks torque production, whereas a manual trans would show higher, but I've seen plenty of N/A GT's make way more rwtq than my '07 on the same dyno mine was tuned on, but run low 13's or 12's in the 1/4 mile vs my high 11's.

On a side note, my '07 GT is for sale right now. I traded it in to get the new '11 GT 5.0L. So, anyone looking for a solid, low miles (just 28K miles) GT in excellent condition that's all sorted out for the drag strip and as a daily driver can click below for pics & info at the dealership that is selling it......

http://www.bowenscarff.com/preowned-inventory-2/2007_Ford_Mustang_Kent_1ZVFT82H775238781.aspx

Professionally tuned by the Horsepower Ranch in Maple Valley, WA. Very conservative tune (14 degrees timing to keep it safe for daily driving, and A/F in the high 11's to 1).

Gotta love a great dyno tune! Doesn't matter the brand of dyno as long as the operator tunes the car safely. Then get it to the track for some timeslips to see the fruits of that labor!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back