My bathroom remodel

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Sooo.. my bathroom was in horrible shape. Bought the home sept 2009.

DSCF0536.jpg

DSCF0536.jpg

So.. the subfloor was rotting and it stank in there and it was just terrible... So i tore everything out (except for the tub, which i actually like) tore the drywall off the walls even (to get rid of the tile) and redid it all the way.. tile floors, tiled the shower (with nice tiles).. quite a bit better.. unfortunately I didn't take pics of different stages.. It took me like 3 months to finish since it was my first time remodeling anything.

54415472_photobucket_894_.jpg

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks Great !!!
You do excellent work.

Here is what we had done to our Kitchen, 1/2 Bath and Laundry room downstairs recently.

Click on the Link which is the slide-show and at the "Bottom" you will see where it says, (Reverse Order).
Click on that so you see the (Before & After) as the pics progress.
No the pics are not in order but they still give you the idea.
The picture in the Garage of the small door and the picture of the double doors is because we had them replaced also.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/tigerhonaker/Home%20Remodel%202010/?albumview=slideshow

tigerhonaker

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very, very good, especially for your first time. Home improvement can be trying, but it's a lot of fun once you get it going.

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the compliments guys.

tigerhonaker, nice kitchen i had trouble getting the slideshow to work so i just viewed the album. did you spray paint your cabinets? I've been thinking of painting mine white, in my kitchen.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the compliments guys.

tigerhonaker, nice kitchen i had trouble getting the slideshow to work so i just viewed the album. did you spray paint your cabinets? I've been thinking of painting mine white, in my kitchen.
Actually the fellow that did those works for a Custom Cabinet Company.
So they do have a Special Snow White Sprayed on finish.
Then he sprays a clear coat on them.
It is a commercial paint process that the cabinet companies do.
They get something on them and you can just wipe it back off.
They also have all New Drawers as well as the doors now with hidden hinges.
Same for the 1/2 bath room down stairs.
And he is coming back to do the same thing for the Full Baths up-stairs.

It looks Great now but it was a nightmare living in the House while the work was being done.

Terry

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
I'm tempted to sand mine down a bit, put some spray paint primer on it and use rattle can white spray paint then a clear coat over it.. if you buy the higher quality spray cans it can actually turn out okay... I'm just a little concerend.. wouldn't want it to look bad when I was done.. maybe i'll practice on something first...

right now my cabinets look like this.. they are in the background.. took a pic of a beer can i thought was intersting i found in the woods.

2010-09-28_13-13-09_7.jpg

front of the can:

2010-09-28_13-12-57_147.jpg

I'd paint the cabinets white, then get a darker counter top.. probably not granite.. i have all glass dishes and I hear its easy to break them on the stone counter tops... but they'd be nice. I'd also add hardware to the cabinets (pull handles or knobs)

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mishri

I think I would take a drawer out or a door off one of the cabinets and "Practice" on it.
Then see how it looks and if satisfied then proceed.
I can tell you that they sanded everything 1st and then used some kind of "Sealer".
The sealer was not an option as he explained it got the wood to where he could then put the color coats on.
He said the years of Oil etc. that had soaked into the surface had to be "Sealed" before you could even think about putting the Color coats on.
If not, the color coats would simply Bubble-Up and peel right off as it would Not Stick.

Terry

MELLOWYELLOW06

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great. People seem to not realize that a clean and well designed bathroom is very important. You need to fell warm, cozy, and comfortable to sit down and handle your business. And the new look is all about business ;)

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice job! It's niice to see I'm not the only one ripping stuff up!

If I can ever get home for more than a couple days at a time I might get to finish mine. I'm a bit farther than the last photo as I've got the tub and surround install complete. I need to finish the walls out from the tub, build the cabinet and button down the rest of the fixtures. I built the tub cabinet from scratch and the sink cabinet will look the same.

DSC01709.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC02015.jpg

Good thing I live alone as I'm doing radiant floor heating in the whole house, so EVERYTHING is ripped up. This is where I started. This might take awhile as I travel a lot and do all my own work.

DSC01707Small.jpg

100_0487.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

SpookShowGT

Banned
Reaction score
OP.. Wow what a difference! It went from grandma's bathroom to really nice and modern look!

Dread53- That is SO kick ass what you have done to that living room? The log cabin look is my favorite, great work!!

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks good op, the before pic looks like a hotel bathroom with a window lol. I'm just starting my 1/2 bath remodel today, I will post before and after pics.

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good dread53.

Thanks for the advice tigerhonaker, I'll have to do some more research on it probably. I sitll have some other rooms I need to work on before i tackle that project.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back