My Trip to Mars - MDRS

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
I just returned from my latest trip to Mars - Well, The Mars Society's Desert Research Station (MDRS) in Hanksville, Utah, to be exact. Our crew of Artemis Westenberg, Josh Nelson, Gary Fisher, myself, and James Harris (who joined Artemis after Josh, Gary and I had left) had our work cut out for us, as the "Hab" needed some TLC.

The first day Josh and I spent removing the carpet - Think "sand sponge". The floor was later painted with 2 coats of a medium blue floor enamel with anti-slip additive - Easy to clean, cheap to repair...

mdrs09g.jpg

The window in the Commander's stateroom needed to be replaced. I got out the Hammer and saw -

mdrs09a.jpg

And the Hab needed a paint job. Artemis painted the entire lower half, and tried to paint the upper half, but, alas, she's just a little, em, not tall enough...

mdrs09c.jpg

I, however, am able to reach great heights. Artemis and I made a good team (Please don't forward these photos to OSHA)...

mdrs09b.jpg

Josh donned "the suit" and posed for some photos with MDRS' latest equipment acquisition - a 6 passenger "Pressurized Rover" - A 2000 Ford Expedition. A real nice addition, and it should proved to be a good asset to the teams visiting the Hab this year and for years to come...

mdrs09d.jpg

mdrs09e.jpg

Josh also posed for some photos that may turn into any number of PR/advertising opportunities...

mdrs09f.jpg

I woke up early on Tuesday morning (3:30 am) and went out to the Hab, I wanted to capture some starry night photos. I think these turned out pretty well.

The constellation Orion was very visible...

mdrs09arta.jpg

As was the Big Dipper. The 3 stars at the top right of center in this photo are the tail of the Dipper. I couldn't far enough away to get the entire Dipper and the Hab in the photo...

mdrs09artb.jpg

And here are 2 other night photos. I had just enough Moonlight to make the photos jump.

mdrs09artc.jpg

For the "photo techies", most of the night shots were taken with an ISO of 2000, F3.5, 25-30 second exposures. The Nikon D300 is amazing!

mdrs09artd.jpg

I don't know how Gary managed to dodge my camera, but he was busy in the Green Hab, getting the Grey Water recycling system up and running. The crews this year "should" have running water and a flushable toilet - An improvement over last year's mechanicals.

Josh also did an outstanding job of configuring all of the electronics - Web Cams, satellite internet, radio telescope, and some other "techie" stuff that was over my head.

I'm looking forward to hearing from all of the 2009-10 crews and the science that they'll all be able to do at MDRS. Many thanks to The Mars Society for allowing me to again visit MDRS and help out.

And a special "thank you" to Mom-in-law Sara for sponsoring me - I couldn't have done it without you!

p.s. - If any of this gets you excited about "Humans on Mars" - do something! Join The Mars Society at www.MarsSociety.org.

On to Mars!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those are some damn cool pictures Keith!

Uh..... last picture. Is that building actually as crooked as it looks?
You need to get ya a motorized tripod so you can track with the movement of the earth and your stars won't be blurry.

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
Hawggy,
No, the building's straight, but at 4 am, hungover, in the dark, with a 6" mini tripod set on a crate, I was having problems seeing things level! As I had to pack for both SEMA and 6 days in the desert, I was packing as light as I could.

I thought it was kinda cool, that at a 30 second exposure, you actually get movement in the stars!

Thamks for the props...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Those night pics are awesome!

But I thought Mars was red???????????

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought it was kinda cool, that at a 30 second exposure, you actually get movement in the stars!

It's actually pretty amazing (or at least to me) that you can focus on an object in the night sky with a camera, telescope, etc. and tell the earth is moving... and pretty damn quickly I might add!

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Too many people don't support our spaceflight efforts...

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WOW. I never see that many damn stars where I live. That's beautiful!

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
Actually, Mars is a very "rust" color, given that most of it's soil has some component of iron in it. And since the CO2 sky reflects the colors of the soil, most of the sky has a redish/orangish hue. We think - Since we haven't received any "true color" photos from the planet yet (all of the NASA photos have been "color approximated")

Now, the Utah desert is another matter. While the soil does resemble Mars (a lot!), the sky is all ours...

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WOW. I never see that many damn stars where I live. That's beautiful!

Light Pollution sucks.
If you go out to the Moutains in West Virginia you will see stars like that, Even the Milky way. you can even see small pebble size meteorites entering the atmosphere creating shooting stars.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice, Keith. I work at NASA/Johnson Space Center and am currently helping design the Constellation spacecraft, which will be taking humans to the Moon in 2020 and Mars in 2030 or so. If you're ever down here and are into that kind of thing, let me know, I'll show ya some stuff.

The future...

The successful test launch of Ares-1 last month...

Constellation-Program-NAS-009.jpg

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty cool stuff. I'm kind of cerous why you guys at NASA are not developing a reusable replacement for the shuttle.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back