My Xmas present? A wrecked car!

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks, but you should be able to take the car where you want to and any decent shop will use the parts you want.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
One of my previous cars had the bad luck of being backed into multiple times. I swear people can't see black cars. THat's one reason I'll never own another black car. Here is my experience with the insurance company and body shops.

If you have a loan on your car and its not paid off, the check is typically made out to you and the lein holder. If you don't have a lein ont he car, the check is made out to you.

If you have a lein on the car, find a lcoal body shop that has a good reputation and is willing to work with you. Tell them what you want to do as for as switching to non stock parts and see if they will work with you. Most of the good ones will.

If there is no lein on the car, the insurance company cuts you a check and you do whatever you want. Just keep proof that you had the damage fixed in case it ever gets damaged again.

Here was my Christmas present(accident) last year.
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10666

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't seen very many shops capable of matching factory orange peel lol. Hence why I said if you have done body work such as I did, you can tell most repair jobs.
I also do paint and body repair. If a good blend job is done you will not be able to notice a difference from new paint work and old.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
One of my previous cars had the bad luck of being backed into multiple times. I swear people can't see black cars. THat's one reason I'll never own another black car. Here is my experience with the insurance company and body shops.

If you have a loan on your car and its not paid off, the check is typically made out to you and the lein holder. If you don't have a lein ont he car, the check is made out to you.

If you have a lein on the car, find a lcoal body shop that has a good reputation and is willing to work with you. Tell them what you want to do as for as switching to non stock parts and see if they will work with you. Most of the good ones will.

If there is no lein on the car, the insurance company cuts you a check and you do whatever you want. Just keep proof that you had the damage fixed in case it ever gets damaged again.

Here was my Christmas present(accident) last year.
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10666
Thanks for the good info....but since I do have a loan on the car the check will be made out to the lean holder...so how do I get access to that money (or the repair shop). Wouldnt that take FOREVER to get the check authorized from my bank or do I just tell the body shop to bill them?

I also do paint and body repair. If a good blend job is done you will not be able to notice a difference from new paint work and old.
That is what I am worried about, how to pick a good body shop. I worked a the local ford dealership and our body shop was supposably ranked 1st in our area..(awards from Ford and everything) but I am still kinda nervous to take it to them. As for the local shops I dont know how to tell a good from a bad one.

Tomorrow I am going to go around to as many as I can since I am off so I can get quotes and pick up my police report so I can contact her insurance. Wish me luck!

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
OK, I went and got my first estimate that the local Ford dealership. They quoted me $4100 for the damage. They included the hood in it (which is $1300!!!!!) but he said the insurance company is going to try and fight that. I told him about the mods that I wanted to do and he said that they will work with me on that and try to help out. I know that most of you dont like the dealership touching your car but I have not had any problem with them in the past when I have used their body shop. Plus I am friends with most of the writers so I would think that it would be done to my liking.

So two questions:
1) Now that I have my estimate how should I approach the insurance adjuster? Mostly about the hood.
2) What do you think about the dealership doing the work? Like I said they have not done me wrong in the past, plus I dont know of any "good" body shops, or even what to look for when choosing one.

Thank for the help

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If that's who you want doing the work, discuss with them about how your insurance company pays. Whether they just cut the shop a check or how that particular insurance company usually does it, if the shop has done much work then they will know this answer. If the shop gets the check, discuss how they are going to work with you on getting the hood you want. Such as, if they will cut you a check for the difference betweeen the two hoods. If they don't know the answer to how the payment is made or if they won't cut you a check for the difference then find a new shop.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
So two questions:
1) Now that I have my estimate how should I approach the insurance adjuster? Mostly about the hood.

Isn't the stock S197 hood aluminum? When mine was in an accinet the body shop said it couldn't be fixed and had to be replaced because labor on fixing aluminum body parts was more than the cost of the hood.

2) What do you think about the dealership doing the work? Like I said they have not done me wrong in the past, plus I dont know of any "good" body shops, or even what to look for when choosing one.

My fox body was fixed by the dealer's body shop and the results were amazing. I can't complain. If they do good work and you don't know of any other good ones, I'd go to them.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
Ok, so the people at Geico cant get a hold of the lady that hit me, and its their client!! what horse shit! They told me that they need to talk to her so they get her side of the story, which is bullshit because I faxed the the fucking police report to them! So they know what happened! Its been 5 days now and the lady did not even bother calling her insurance to let them know this happened. I am about to snap. I know were she works and lives, i'm about to go knock down some doors with my cell phone in hand with her insurance on the line!!

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
OK I need more help! So I finally got in to see an adjuster this morning and he is not letting me put factory ford parts on my car, nor is he going to replace to hood. He said they will just fill it with body filler! I obviously denied his estimate ($2500) and got his supervisors number. I called the supervisor and WHAT A DICK!!! In no way shape or form did I raise my voice or act like a jerk, but I got such an attitude from him! He basically told me that all insurance companies use bullshit parts in repairs and i'm S.O.L. I told him I bought it new less than six months ago, why should I have junk parts on it, the value of the car is significantly reduced cause no one wants a wrecked car...etc.

What should I do? Is there anything I can do? Are there ways of negotiating with them?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I found out a while back from a couple guysI know that run and own a body shop that it is standard that insurance companies use junkyard parts. The first I found out of this was with a 2006 Dodge that hit hard in the front and broke the transfer case. They found one out of another truck with "about" the same mileage and used it. I hate to say it but you are probably not going to get anywhere with the insurance company.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
I found out a while back from a couple guysI know that run and own a body shop that it is standard that insurance companies use junkyard parts. The first I found out of this was with a 2006 Dodge that hit hard in the front and broke the transfer case. They found one out of another truck with "about" the same mileage and used it. I hate to say it but you are probably not going to get anywhere with the insurance company.

Isnt it sad that people just cant have nice things anymore? Why does it always seems like everyone is trying to screw someone? Why do the hard workers seem to always get fucked? When I was a kid I remember my parents making me replace the exact "thing" that I broke (with my own money or work it off), if I broke something and it stuck to me. I feel that it is only right to replace EXACTLY what you broke! Apparently no one else feels like that.....

With that being said...do you think there is anything wrong with aftermarket parts if they fit correctly and paint matches? I guess I am not so worried with the plastic parts, because the ones I see do not need replaced, but they added them in for some reason. Supposably these parts have a lifetime warranty on them...from the insurance company. Any thoughts?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree it's bullshit, especially in your case with an 09 but it's one of those deals that you probably won't have a say in the matter. As far as them fixing it with parts from a junkyard, if the shop getting them is picky, it will look like a new part. If it's a good shop you won't be able to tell.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
Well none of the parts are from a junkyard (so I was told and is written in my estimate) They are all new aftermarket parts. I noticed in the estimate that there are some things that dont look like they need replaced. For example my windshield washer reservoir, its not leaking and has not even been touched. Also if i am getting my roush bumper cover I do not need the upper and lower grill, so there is an extra $200 so I can get my grill that fits that bumper.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh aftermarket, I don't care for them. I would prefer oem take offs at a junkyard, when I was doing bodywork, aftermarket left alot to be desired and I have seen them take more putty to straighten than the part taken off. Not trying to scare you, just telling you my experience with them.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
Oh aftermarket, I don't care for them. I would prefer oem take offs at a junkyard, when I was doing bodywork, aftermarket left alot to be desired and I have seen them take more putty to straighten than the part taken off. Not trying to scare you, just telling you my experience with them.

Well I got good news. My dad got a hold of a couple dealers that he has done business with (hes a retired ford credit employee now) and they are going to piece the car together for me with new factory parts including install! Even my roush bumper! I wish i could get the hood though, but I guess beggers cant be choosy!

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it worked out where you seem happy for the most part, sucks about the hood but if done right you will never know.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back