Naturally Aspirated, 5-speed cars in here.....

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will be buying one.. how much hp did you gain by changing?

9 hp between 5500-6200. That is comparing the stock intake with the plates deleted to this ford racing one. Wait till I get a head cam combo... 400hp here I come lol

08Bullitt2291

N/A the only way
Reaction score
yeah i am just going to 350rwhp rite now... i am sure that will be fun for the first couple of months:roflmao:... then i will need to spend alot more money.. again

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
well its a bullitt and it pulls rite to 6500 if it werent the winter i would try a day at the track shifting lower to see if that would make any difference but oh well its going to be a long boring winter......

Bullitts don't pull any harder than a stock GT so it may feel like its still pulling but if you put it on a dyno you would see the power falling off and you are leaving ET on the table.

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
well its a bullitt and it pulls rite to 6500 if it werent the winter i would try a day at the track shifting lower to see if that would make any difference but oh well its going to be a long boring winter......
I agree with Bill & Matt 6200 shifts with stock cams for max ET,follow the guy's that run the #'s.

08Bullitt2291

N/A the only way
Reaction score
well where were you guys in the spring.... i want the car to run low 12s or high 11s like you guys but it really is a daily driver or else it would have everything out of it i could... now i am just looking for good n/a hp to make up for it.

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
IMHO the Hot Rod cam profile is designed to sound good first and make power second. I don't think you get a lot of usable power over 6200 out of them from my experience. With those and deletes maybe 6300-6400 but not much higher.

My car ran as quick as 12.30 in daily driver trim. 17 in wheels all around, passenger and back seat still int he car, no spare.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I've see hot rod cams make almost 40 hp on a blower car. I have no idea what to expect out of them NA. Most likely they will be like the NSR's I had... 18 rwhp gain. If you do the work yourself (and you know how to), it might be worth it, but if I am paying 550 to 800 for cams and another 300 - 500 for install, no thanks...

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
IMHO the Hot Rod cam profile is designed to sound good first and make power second. I don't think you get a lot of usable power over 6200 out of them from my experience. With those and deletes maybe 6300-6400 but not much higher.

My car ran as quick as 12.30 in daily driver trim. 17 in wheels all around, passenger and back seat still int he car, no spare.
What kinda DA was it ? Bet it was close to see level or better.

My saying is, a few correct mod's and good air these cars run out. The problem with that is, so does the other cars we compete with, GTO, LS Camaro, STI, and LS vettes. Back in late spring 05 Justin took that red 05 stang 12.50 with just a cai/tune, 1ps ds, bogarts/et streets, amd bmr radiator delete. He went 11.8-9 with just a few more easy mod's. He and a hand few led the way, Jim Jr included.

Last edited:

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
I've see hot rod cams make almost 40 hp on a blower car. I have no idea what to expect out of them NA. Most likely they will be like the NSR's I had... 18 rwhp gain. If you do the work yourself (and you know how to), it might be worth it, but if I am paying 550 to 800 for cams and another 300 - 500 for install, no thanks...
That sir is spot on. Most pirate mechs quote $800 for NSR and $1200 with springs for labor.

Last edited:

TorchedGT

Mustang Operator
Reaction score
well my friend Wes who tuned my car done hotrods in his wifes automatic car and gained 25ish through the auto with his tuning with it... so its not much but if you are able to do the install yourself id say its worth. to some people its not about getting every ever loving HP from a car. sometimes its a combination of overall feel. i have no plans of doing a blower, swapping heads, or doing anything with spray. id like a nice choppy idle and get my gears swapped. it will be just what i wanted.... im not lookin to break any records..just do some mods to make me enjoy mine more. i plan on going with the stage 2 thumprs once i get some mod money to play with. got 410s in the works so..it will be a fun street car...

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. These cars really sound good with full exhaust and a choppy idle. If I could get Thumpers with Springs and labor for $1500 without affecting mpg i'd pull the trigger. I like taking the car for road trips with the wife, Sunday cruiser and 25 mpg beats 15mpg. Hell...some day I might go for it.

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
What kinda DA was it ? Bet it was close to see level or better.

My saying is, a few correct mod's and good air these cars run out. The problem with that is, so does the other cars we compete with, GTO, LS Camaro, STI, and LS vettes. Back in late spring 05 Justin took that red 05 stang 12.50 with just a cai/tune, 1ps ds, bogarts/et streets, amd bmr radiator delete. He went 11.8-9 with just a few more easy mod's. He and a hand few led the way, Jim Jr included.

My point was that there are better cams out there for an NA car than the hot rod cams and you can have a mid to low 12 sec daily driver pretty easily out of these cars without even worrying about cams. My 12.30s were at Cecil in the summer which is 325 ft elevation DA is all over the place but was not great at that time of year. It ran 12.4s at Beaver Springs which is 600+.

Last edited:

xtweakerx

Get SOME!
Reaction score
i see some people say hot rods dont get u much HP and i see some that say they do. i dont know, it may be in how someone tunes for them. I know I want to do an NSR cam and delete plates in the spring still not sure which cam.

TorchedGT

Mustang Operator
Reaction score
ill prolly go with stage 2 thumpr cams...hope to have them by summer maybe. depends how quick i can sell these saleen heritage wheels..

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back