Need advice/info--my car was possibly wrecked before I bought it

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Here's the story....

My cay is currently at the body shop getting my hood put on and painted. Obviously he had to blend it in with the fenders so the CS stripes had to come off and new ones would be put on. I got a call yesterday from them explaining that they couldn't pull the driver side door stripe off due to it being clear-coated onto the door. He then explained to me that he can tell that this car has been repainted due to body damage. I was surprised...I'm stopping there later this afternoon to see what he is referring to.

On a side note, I bought this car brand new. I have NEVER got into an accident with it. I have had the front and rear bumper repainted in the past to fix scratches and chips, nothing major. And absolutely nothing has ever happened to the sides of the car.

When I bought the car, I am 99% sure the dealership did not make me aware of any body damage that might have happened before I purchased it. I am going to double-check my paperwork, though.

My question is, do I have any options to make the dealership responsible for the damage? Or have them take any responsibility for it, period?

I'm a little pissed, because now I might have to throw out more money to fix something that they should have done right and most of all they didn't even tell me about.

I know there are dealership guys on here(steedaman). any help/advice/info would be great.

Thanks!!

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Depends what the law is. I would start at the dealership level, if you get know where, then tell them you will file a complaint with the dmv, bbb, and the states attorney's office. Dealerships are required to disclose damages to customers on brand new vehicles.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Billy. That's what a couple other folks said. I was given a link.....

http://www.lawserver.com/maps/new-car-damage-disclosures

Apparently MD doesn't have to disclose any damage unless parts were replaced.

I just want to be sure I am not missing anything. I want to have all my "T's" crossed and "I's" dotted when I head in there.

J2L06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Sometimes things will happen at factory on assembly line
and cars will be pulled for repair there and dealer won't
know anything about it and it won't show on any paperwork.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sometimes things will happen at factory on assembly line
and cars will be pulled for repair there and dealer won't
know anything about it and it won't show on any paperwork.
Great......

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
In MD the dealer only has to disclose damage to a car if it is over a certain amount. I think it is 500.00, but not sure. It may also have been damaged at the factory or in shipment and the dealer would not even know about it. All so with the paint mix equipment they have today, there is NO reason to blend paint if you are painting just the hood.

It most likely needed touchup on the door and they did not want to replace the strip, witch is a stupid thing to do.

Last edited:

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In MD the dealer only has to disclose damage to a car if it is over a certain amount. I think it is 500.00, but not sure. It may also have been damaged at the factory or in shipment and the dealer would not even know about it. All so with the paint mix equipment they have today, there is NO reason to blend paint if you are painting just the hood.

It most likely needed touchup on the door and they did not want to replace the strip, witch is a stupid thing to do.
I asked the shop to replace the stripe. It was looking shitty after 4 years.

As far as blending the paint........I am no paint expert, but I would rather pay the extra money to have it blended correctly and look good. Have you ever looked at a white car and can see where recent body work was done? I have..........white isn't that easy to "match".

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hope all go's well, and your bodywork was just touch-up
Thank you. I hope to get an idea of what all might have been done to the car before I bought it. Then stop at the dealership and maybe get some answers. I would have never known about it if I hadn't decided to replace the stripes.

Oh well, I have feeling that I am fighting a lost cause. Either way, The stripe will have to stay on and hope you can't tell the old from the new or else I'll be forking out more money to get the door repainted and the stripe done right.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
That sucks. I'm surprised after 4 years of owning it that you never noticed one stripe was cleared over and the other wasn't. Especially if one was looking shitty.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I'm surprised after 4 years of owning it that you never noticed one stripe was cleared over and the other wasn't. Especially if one was looking shitty.
I never noticed because the whole stripe isn't clear-coated. Just the back portion. The body shop believes that the rear quarter panel was damaged and when it was repainted they over-sprayed the clear-coat.

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a BRAND NEW 1976 Pontiac TransAm with the 455 HO engine and 4 speed that had 6 miles on the clock when I picked it up.

About six months later a guy ran a stop sign and hit my right front fender and to my surprise it had BONDO in it.

Dealer wouldn't do anything about it but the shop that fixed it put a new fender on it and I was happy with it.

In other words, It happens.

whoapony

forum member
Reaction score
Thats funny that this is brought up. I was talking to the shop that repaired my car the other day and got on the subject of dealers repairing new cars and not having to disclose it. They do work for the dealers in town, he was even telling me of a Viper rear bumper they had to replace once. I guess if they get damaged in transit or on the lot they just fix them and keep it hush hush. Pretty crappy if you ask me!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I've work for, and have worked for, numerous dealers over the last 15 years, and this stuff definitely happens. New cars get damaged in transit, on the lot, on test drives, by salesmen, etc. They get repaired and put back out on the lot like nothing ever happened. It is unfortunate, but it happens.

My buddy bought a brand new '03 Cobra off the lot only to find out 3 years later that it had a fender repaired/painted at some point before it was sold.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shit happens, it really does. But disclosing what happened should be the customer's right. Hmmmmmm

BullittWow

mod-crazy-fool
Reaction score
My DD is an '02 Buick Regal that my late father-in-law bought new. When I went to the dealership to get all the service record history on it, I was surprised to find out that the dealer did some bodywork on the car when it was new in the amount of $1265.00. Apparently it got damaged on the lot, and they never disclosed that fact when the car was purchased.

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i read your post on FB and between here and there, you have gotten a few good ideas. no matter what happens, i'm sorry and it sucks.. BAD! good luck and keep us informed.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
That is so whack. I should stop telling my friends that there's nothing to worry about when buying new off the lot.

Sorry to hear about your troubles! Hope it all works out.

Back