Need help with a shifting issue

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Ok guys, my wife's car is having an issue shifting into first and second gear at random. Sometimes it shifts fine and other times it simply refuses to go into gear. Below is a link to a video I took tonight. It almost looks like the linkage is interfering with the tail shaft. Any thoughts or ideas? Shifter has been on the car for about 6-8 months and this issue has been going on for about 1.5-2 months.

https://youtu.be/7C6nHom68Es

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
What shifter is on the car? I assume its not stock. Haw many miles are on the car? I also assume the car is a 2013 based on your list of cars in your signature?

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Sorry, that info is on the video description but I didn't put it in the post. It's a steeda tri-ax only been on the car about 4K miles, but was used by another member here previously. Car has 31,xxx miles. Yeah it's a 2013 5.0 m6.

mjpjr45

Reaction score
I had a Steeda shifter on my 2014 GT for a while and had a similar problem. Mine would not go into first or second if I was pulling to the left hard when trying to shift. I would have to ease it into 1st and 2nd. I ended up taking it off and putting my stock shifter back and everything works fine. Cant' see video here because of work filters, so can't comment on that.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed that on the video. Old age you know. Of the shifters available Steeda from what I found was one of the two with fewer issues on the MT-82. Had you said MGW I would not make the following suggestion because I know of zero issues with that shifter. I ran one myself and had no problems with it at all.

I would put the factory shifter back on the car to see if the problem is being magnified by the Steeda shifter, or for that matter being caused by the shifter. Any shifting problem inside the transmission will be greatly increased with a short throw shifter. 1-2 shifts on the MT-82 were a problem with some people. I personally never had any issues, but then again I only had 20K on mine when it was traded, but it was seeing 568RWHP and made trips to the track.

As I recall the Steeda Triax uses the factory shift housing. The factory rear bushing support for the shift housing could also be worn and need to be replaced. There are some aftermarket options that will work with the factory shift box. I think Steeda makes one but I am not sure as I do not use their product. Factory bushings inside the shift housing that support the shifting rod could also cause binding.

Changing the tranny fluid will be suggested so I will get that in now. It has helped some folks with that 1-2 shift. I stuck with Ford fluids but again had 1/3 fewer miles on mine and only changed the fluid then as a planned maintenance routine.

I assume the clutch feels fine and has no issues shifting through other gears so I see no reason to go there.

I'm sure others may have some advise who know the inner workings of these transmissions as well. I know some common issues they have had but wish to not paint a grim picture until more common things have been checked out. Good luck. Keep in mind it should still have some of that 5/50 warranty on it... barely.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
There's visible signs of binding and rubbing of the shifter, metal-on-metal contact. (Unfortunately, the video could help if viewed more from the other side of the driveshaft.)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back