Need help with smog! (CALIFORNIA)

07 Boss

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm definitely going to try out that 02 simulator with the mini cat in it, that should do the trick. I just need something that will last me a little over 100 miles (after the ecu does its cycle for smog), then i'll take it right off. As for the rear 02's, would hanging them with zip ties out of the pipe also work?

No, it is not that easy. The rears have to read a certain difference from the fronts. Throwing them out in the air probably won't meet that parameter. If you can figure out the parameters for the difference necessary that the computer needs to read ready then you can wire something in. I have a different motor and computer but this is what I did to fool the computer. It is a resister to step down the voltage and a capacitor to get it to the right signal frequency. I tapped the front signal wire and ran it through this to the rear signal wire to simulate the changes needed. I still change tunes to turn the sensors on but I don't have to get under there and swap pipes like I used to. It reads ready every time I go to get it tested.

DERRY90

forum member
Reaction score
Kooks makes a long tube header with a catted "green" h pipe that doesn't throw codes with the stock tune, however thats way out of my price range. As stated above visual inspection isn't the problem, it's just not getting the codes to pop up on the monitor.

Unfortunately no long tube headers are 50 state legal as they move the stock catalytic converters back. It's illegal to move the cats from their original position. My smog check 2013 manual has 10-20 pages devoted to aftermarket parts, EO labels, what's tampered and what doesn't require an EO. This and another 10 pages of rules and regs. This is why smog check techs have to be unforgiving on the visual inspection. BAR will go after techs who illegally pass cars. And potential jail time. It sucks for us car guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no long tube headers are 50 state legal as they move the stock catalytic converters back. It's illegal to move the cats from their original position. My smog check 2013 manual has 10-20 pages devoted to aftermarket parts, EO labels, what's tampered and what doesn't require an EO. This and another 10 pages of rules and regs. This is why smog check techs have to be unforgiving on the visual inspection. BAR will go after techs who illegally pass cars. And potential jail time. It sucks for us car guys.

What the heck difference does it make if aftermarket high flow cats are used....which will of course be located aft of the LT's ? Mine will still hit almost 1900 F @ 6 k rpm. ( slightly hotter than oem cats).

DERRY90

forum member
Reaction score
What the heck difference does it make if aftermarket high flow cats are used....which will of course be located aft of the LT's ? Mine will still hit almost 1900 F @ 6 k rpm. ( slightly hotter than oem cats).

The way California does it is that the only non OEM cats you can use have to be approved by the CARB, and high flow cats won't pass carb because they're less restrictive so higher emissions in the eyes of our state communist government. It's so stupid

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The way California does it is that the only non OEM cats you can use have to be approved by the CARB, and high flow cats won't pass carb because they're less restrictive so higher emissions in the eyes of our state communist government. It's so stupid

It is stupid. My 4" diam hi flow cats have way more cross sectional surface area vs oem.... which is why they are high flow. However, they are shorter as well. High flow cats run slightly hotter than oem. No stinky exhaust. They do the job.

DERRY90

forum member
Reaction score
It is stupid. My 4" diam hi flow cats have way more cross sectional surface area vs oem.... which is why they are high flow. However, they are shorter as well. High flow cats run slightly hotter than oem. No stinky exhaust. They do the job.

Welcome to bureaucracy my friend.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Step 1: Move out of California.

Step 2: Don't ever look back.

Step 3: Don't vote democrat as they are the EPA huggers.

Step 4: Mod the hell out of your Mustang and have FUN!!!!!

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
It's not just the flow. The closer to the engine the cat is the quicker it heats up. Since supposedly most of the emissions come from when everything is first warming up they want to keep it as factory as possible.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
It's not just the flow. The closer to the engine the cat is the quicker it heats up. Since supposedly most of the emissions come from when everything is first warming up they want to keep it as factory as possible.

True, which is why I believe the eng runs on fast idle for 20 secs, or more, depending on ambient outside temps, when it's 1st fired up. Flip side is, if ceramic LT's used, they hold the heat inside a great deal more. The hotter the exhaust gas's are, the faster they flow, so it probably comes out a wash.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back